Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing all of the old bolts, screws, etc that I can, and a few days ago get a new bolt & nut to replace the originals at the bottom of the right side of the fork (p. 10 of Ch. 24 the '81 addendum in the CX500 FSM). The problem is, though, when I took out the old bolt, the right side fork seemed to "pop / slide" out towards the right by about 0.5 cm, making the bolt pathway past the right side groove of the front wheel axle out of alignment (so I can't put the new bolt in).

I did lift the front of the bike from the wheel using a jack, but I can't seem to "squeeze" the right fork back in place towards center so I can slide the bolt down into the axle groove. Right now I'm considering using a vice, believe it or not.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I don't think you want to put sideways pressure on the fork leg. You want the forks to be aligned top to bottom. I would try loosening the front fender mounting bolts and the upper triple tree bolts with the front wheel off the ground 1/2" or so. The front fender might be pushing the fork legs apart, perhaps it is bent. Bend the "ears" of the front fender in so they are not pushing the fork legs apart. I am assuming the front axle is installed in the left fork slider with the axle nut tightened to proper torque.

I like to align the forks by.

1) get the front wheel off the ground 1/2" or so

2) loosen the fender bolts, the axle clamp bolt, and the upper triple tree clamp bolts.

3) remove the fork caps (careful of spring pressure!)

4) raise the front wheel with the sliders as far as it will go and support it there. The springs will stick out the tops of the fork tubes.

5) tighten all the bolts to proper torque, the fender bolts last. let the wheel down all the way, put the fork caps on, lower bike to ground

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you want to put sideways pressure on the fork leg. You want the forks to be aligned top to bottom. I would try loosening the front fender mounting bolts and the upper triple tree bolts with the front wheel off the ground 1/2" or so. The front fender might be pushing the fork legs apart, perhaps it is bent. Bend the "ears" of the front fender in so they are not pushing the fork legs apart. I am assuming the front axle is installed in the left fork slider with the axle nut tightened to proper torque.

I like to align the forks by.

1) get the front wheel off the ground 1/2" or so

2) loosen the fender bolts, the axle clamp bolt, and the upper triple tree clamp bolts.

3) remove the fork caps (careful of spring pressure!)

4) raise the front wheel with the sliders as far as it will go and support it there. The springs will stick out the tops of the fork tubes.

5) tighten all the bolts to proper torque, the fender bolts last. let the wheel down all the way, put the fork caps on, lower bike to ground

Ok. So I removed the front fender (first time I've done that), but I still can't get enough play to push the right fork into alignment on the axle. I'm not sure how to loosen the axle clamp bolt as there isn't a nut on the left side. The schematic in the FSM Ch. 24 pg 10 shows what my forks are like.

Honestly I'm a little worried that I'm getting in over my head. I've never adjusted / worked deeply on the forks, such as the springs, oil, etc. So I'm worried if I remove the caps, etc, I'll mess something up.

I'm thinking of getting some rope and squeezing them together tourniquet-style.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't take the caps off, just try loosening the upper mounting bolts to see if that will allow you what you need. For all you know it's not mounted straight up there thus causing the problem to begin with.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So I'm replacing all of the old bolts, screws, etc that I can, and a few days ago get a new bolt & nut to replace the originals at the bottom of the right side of the fork (p. 10 of Ch. 24 the '81 addendum in the CX500 FSM). The problem is, though, when I took out the old bolt, the right side fork seemed to "pop / slide" out towards the right by about 0.5 cm, making the bolt pathway past the right side groove of the front wheel axle out of alignment (so I can't put the new bolt in).

I did lift the front of the bike from the wheel using a jack, but I can't seem to "squeeze" the right fork back in place towards center so I can slide the bolt down into the axle groove. Right now I'm considering using a vice, believe it or not.

Ideas?

To me it seems (I can very well be wrong) that you have one or both of your upper fork legs slightly bent. Has happened to me a couple of times with different bikes I´ve been working on.

If so, the best solution would be to take the fork legs apart and take the upper tubes to a shop that can measure and straighten them. You don´t need much out-of-true to give you that 0.5 cm problem down there.

An easy (although not very perfect) remedy would be to loosen the triple tree clamp bolts and rotate the inner tube(s) to see if you can move the misalignment so that you can get that bolt where you want it to be. Maybe worth a try, but you will still have a fork which is out-of -true.

I don´t remember Honda tolerance for out-of-true (believe it is something like 0.2 mm) but if your fork leg(s) is/are bent where they often are (just under the lower triple tree) the misalignment would show up at the fork bottom.

Saying this, I should also tell that I have m´lady´s trainer bike where I always have to squeeze the fork legs together a little, before I can get the front wheel axle and nut exactly where I want them. The upper fork legs were checked by my Honda shop and straightened to be clearly within specs.

Sture

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

Don't bend the ears! the forks should hang with no side pressure in any direction.

That is one of the reason that you torque the axle before you mount the wheel into the forks.

Or, if you have a bike where the axle screws into the one side to torque the axle, you should wiggle the forks to be sure there is no side tension before putting the bottom caps on the forks.

It doesn't take much side force to wear out the bushing rather quickly inside the fork if there is any side pressure.

That is yet another reason to have a fork brace that is custom made for your model bike. It will help keep the distance proper as well as help the handling in the curves.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think I'll just bring it in to a shop and have them fix it.

I hope the guys you´ll bring it to are reliable folks (who won´t take any shortcuts).

With all due respect, if you´re trying to do it yourself the learning curve won´t be that steep. Afterwards you´ll feel pretty proud of yourself (probably).

I see you have those leading axle forks and think I know which bolt you´re talking about. It should go through without hassle.

Sture

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.