Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys,

I will be making up some triple clamps in the next month for the CX500, I was curious if you guys had any requests or suggestions for something special you might want in it?

This one will be similar to the others I had posted already at dcmotive.com .

Kickstartgarage just used one on his latest CB750 build, you might of seen it at the 1motoshow earlier this month.

You can check out a quick video showing it here,

If you have any questions shoot me a message.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
beautiful artisanship

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What size are the clamp allen head screws and what is the torque setting ?
The torque setting will be out of whack if you don't tighten it down nice and even, otherwise you will get some binding and it will torque out early.

Somewhere around 6nm / 4.5lb.ft / 55lb.in. They are M6 stainless steel bolts.

EDIT - Sorry this is reference to the 4 riser bolts on the handlebar mounted models.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
How much thread length engagement ?
When you designed it did you find comparibles for the 6mm clamp screws ?
What I mean is, what kind of screws or bolts are other triple clamps , either OEM, or custom, using ?
I wouldn't be so fussy if it weren't such a critical connection.
Might buy one but need to know what I am getting into.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry. I had misspoke earlier about the bolt size. Depending on the clamp there are several bolts and I misunderstood your meaning.

The main 2 bolts on the clamp are M8 bolts. They have 25mm of thread contact and should be torqued to 6.25nm(55in lbs / 4.5 ft lbs). That is the typical bolt size for this application, and a maximum size possible for this design without compromising the triple itself.

On the triple clamps with risers for handlebars there are these additional bolts,

The risers mount with M12 bolts and have about 25mm of thread contact.

The the bar mounts on the risers are M6 bolts with about 15mm thread contact.

·
Seadoobie
98 Posts
Nice looking clamps. How fast do they ship and how far apart are the two holes in bottom for mounting speedo and tach?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.