Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500D
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One other thing regarding the stator- I did the ohm meter tests for open windings and shorts to the case. All is good. But with maybe 65000 km on the dial, would you replace it "just in case"? Life expectancy?

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
One other thing regarding the stator- I did the ohm meter tests for open windings and shorts to the case. All is good. But with maybe 65000 km on the dial, would you replace it "just in case"? Life expectancy?
Consider the time and expense of droppping and opening the engine again. Is it worth the risk? Mind you, there is no guarantee how long either the original or a new replacement will last.

·
Registered
1980 CX500D
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
True- better safe- I like getting my hands dirty, but I don't like doing the same job twice.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
You can always save the old one in case it might be needed in the future. Spoken like a true hoarder.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,743 Posts
The"complete" gasket sets always seem short of O rings, and the CX has a lot of them.
Even worse, there is never any indication which o-ring goes where. The last time I bought a gasket kit I spent an evening going through the parts drawings for which sizes went where, measuring the o-rings in the kit and sorting them into little ziplock bags with notes. Then I emailed the kit manufacturer to ask why some of the rings were not what was required (one was a round ring they intended to replace a rectangular one with nothing to explain that).

You can always save the old one in case it might be needed in the future. Spoken like a true hoarder.
When the (charging only) stator in E\ccles failed I needed it to get to work every day so I carried a charger to plug in at work for a week or 2. I didn't want to wait for a replacement to arrive so at first opportunity I swapped in a good used one and replaced it with one I rewound myself the next summer.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,456 Posts
Sloppy finish aside, the construction appears to mimic OEM. The quality of materials can vary a lot, though.
Beautiful Deluxe, by the way!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
It is a beauty, my friend found it at an estate sale. He diagnosed it had no spark and an ignitech would make it right. I acquired it and decided that before I started it (with help from this forum) I would do a quadruple bypass. I believe it sat for over a decade and has 36000 miles on it. I am so smitten with this machine and winters are so long in wisconsin I plan on sorting it out one time so I can enjoy one of the machines I saw as a lad on show room floors.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Looks to be in great shape, kudos to you on the nice find!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts