Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm considering doing a triple bypass. If I do not need my Cam Chain or my Stator to be replaced at the moment, I won't do it (money issues).

But if I really need it replaced, I will.

Here are some pictures

IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG

I'm not sure where this washer came from, I found it while I was removing the rear cover. Could it be apart of the water pump seal?

IMG_1128.JPG

Lastly where is the best place to purchase a gasket for my rear case?

Thanks for the help guys! This forum has helped me a lot

·
Registered
481 Posts
chain still has life in it. I am facing an iminent triple bypass in the coming weeks and would have shot myself in the foot if i passed up the oppurtunity to at least change the chain and mechanical and oil seal.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
the washer is a shim either behund the shifter shaft or from the starter gear one in front one in back

only one in back on the shift shaft

your chain is to the end of its adjustment replace it

get a new honda rear cover gasket any dealer can order one

get a yamaha mech seal and read up on the shep method

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I don't even have my license yet lol; I'm planning to do a little riding at least before the season ends. I have no mechanical experience at all and I plan to Cafe this bike. So I probably should just do the triple bypass then

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you order an aftermarket gasket kit they may show you a picture of the preferred green rear case gasket but actually send you a thinner one cut from the same material as the rest of the gaskets, so 'caveat emtor', let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was the bike a runner before the engine was removed? Have you done a multimeter test on the stator? Was the mechanical seal leaking?

Oh, you'll have plenty of mechanical experience after a triple and a café project... or a bike in a box...
Best of luck to you.

Though stick around, post often. You'll get all the mechanical wisdom needed and necessary to complete the project... right here.

Suggestion... Get 'er running first, safe and roadworthy, before the café adventure. Brakes and tires first, eh?

Yes everything was running but unfortunately I haven't done those tests :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious, but why did you pull the rear cover? Generally, if something isn't broken it's best to leave it alone until it breaks, or better yet, until it is almost broken which may be where you are. I'm just thinking back to my teenage and Navy years in the 50s and 60s where I caused myself more work by fixing things that weren't broken than if I had left them alone, but I did learn a lot from that. I just finished my first triple bipass because my stator failed, but I also replaced the cam chain, oil seal and mechanical seal. I had a lot of help from this group and also a Honda shop manual. l got my parts from David Silver Spares USA - HOME which took a week or two to get to me, but then it usually takes about a week when I get them from the local Honda dealer.

Best of luck.

Steve D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess from my point of view, I'd give everything a good inspection and replace anything that is subject to fail in the near future. If you can afford to, and it is worn, replace all the triple bipass parts so you aren't repeating this sometime in the near future. One of the hazards of taking things apart just to look at them is that many times in the process something could be damaged that wasn't damaged before. However, if you enjoy doing this, have time and money to replace/repair whatever is damaged, I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's what I used to do before there were other commitments for the time and money (family).
Also, from my point of view only, the final decision about what to do is yours. I think the folks here have provided you with a lot of good info about how to check different items, and will provide more if you need it. Use that and the manual to arrive at your conclusions, then do whatever works best for you.

Best of luck.

Steve D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright I'll have some pics up tomorrow, but everything is now out of the frame, which I plan to powder coat. I know for sure I need new tires.

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dude we need pictures. I'm with condo, why are you"fixing" a perfectly good motorcycle. I think the constant mention of the triple by-pass here has led some people to think it's required. I did one recently because the stator went out but why on earth everyone thinks the bike is going to detonate if you don't take it apart and replace these things is beyond me. These were made by Honda these bikes will run a long time if cared for properly. You don't need to take it apart just because all the cool kids are... Put it back together (if you can now) and go ride the freaking thing before the CX/GL liberation army gets wind of your tampering...

·
Registered
496 Posts
What wait, I just realized you're in Canada. Why on earth would you take this poor bike apart at the beginning of the season. You have like what 4 weeks to ride before the arctic north returns and like 10 months of inclement weather to build things??? Sorry but you're doing it wrong. I say this all in love for a fellow biker on the brink of going down the wrong path...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't care much about riding right now is that ok?

I took the engine out of the frame because I want to powder coat it why would I not check the state of the engine

The bolt is on the first picture, I will provide more pictures tomorrow

Sorry if I'm going down the wrong path...

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's weird but I guess it's ok

I took the engine out of the frame because I want to powder coat it why would I not check the state of the engine
Because it was running fine. Unless there was something you thought was wrong but then again you could of checked pretty much everything with out cracking the cases and causing the broken bolts and whatever other shenanigans that any open motor gets into.

Sorry if I'm going down the wrong path...
I don't think you are sorry and that's ok too. If you just want to build a bike that's great if you want to dissect it first that's fine too. Personally I like riding bikes too much to take one apart for no reason but to see what's in it. Like condo said do as you will it's your bike.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts