Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brave new world. But man, does this setup make a trike build easy or what?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
(So its)Like that outta the box?..
We forum only members missed the preamble......whats gettin' converted a std?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
It's electric. No drive to connect.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(So its)Like that outta the box?..
We forum only members missed the preamble......whats gettin' converted a std?
I'm not the trike nor sidecar type, I'll opt for a nice two-seater convertible if/when the time comes.

I believe the picture is of a prototype which is making its way to production, I received it much the same way I posted here, without any info other than it being labeled "prototype."

• Haha
Reactions: bahn88

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Brave new world. But man, does this setup make a trike build easy or what?
The answer is "Probably not, especially if you want to use it on the road".
To start with that electrically powered rear axle is made for use in things like golf cars and for motorizing bicycle rickshaws and for that it looks like a well made item.

BUT for converting a motorcycle to a trike you would have to remove the bike's engine and replace it with a motor/generator and enough storage battery to actually go somewhere and I have a feeling that could end up being more work than grafting a car rear axle/differential onto a shaft drive bike.
Not to mention that it probably won't go fast enough to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some much more potent motors you could put on that axle setup.

I have a friend who enters the golf car races at his campground every year, some out of the box electric motors that bolt right up are pulling 75 peak HP. Batteries would be of the lithium cell variety, which would likely be sized like the ones in current use by electric motorcycles.

Nice detective work on the origin of the pic, "Sherlock Bob" ;-) unreal how $$ cheap these things are.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Yeah, but look at the shipping - twice as much as the item price.

Even if batteries are available (I still don't believe the claims about how far they will take you) and an off the shelf drive train you would still have to do at least as much work to turn a motorcycle into an e-trike as it would take to graft an existing rear axle onto a gas powered bike.
I have a friend who used to do trike conversions and half of the job was making bodywork and altering the rear suspension to suit, which you'd need for an electric too.

BTW: All I did was drag the pic into a Google image search.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Its a e-rickshaw set-up The 850/1000w e-rickshaws have a top-speed of 35km/hr.......20mph:confused:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a e-rickshaw set-up The 850/1000w e-rickshaws have a top-speed of 35km/hr.......20mph:confused:
Would you REALLY want to go any faster than that in this thing?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Don't laugh. That thing earns more money than any of our bikes do.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't laugh. That thing earns more money than any of our bikes do.
If that was part of the equation for motorcycle ownership, not too many of us would have one. ;-)

Kind of like when someone says they're "investing in a boat."

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Not a trike....but after clicking that AliExpress link, keep getting pop-ups....some interesting, others not....survival bikes and ready to go vintage.....prices are pretty high though.....:p

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,361 Posts
Not a trike....but after clicking that AliExpress link, keep getting pop-ups....some interesting, others not....survival bikes and ready to go vintage.....prices are pretty high though.....:p

I really like the rifle mount on the "Survival" bike

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I really like the rifle mount on the "Survival" bike
Yes...very "urban"stylized 😉(though they do say for future military markets.......) Tho you could probably adapt a Honda CT110 for something similar without the dual power tho.....

Sorry Cobram.....back to 3-wheelers

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Naw, awesome links, if only I were a few decades younger. ;-) I would be riding that new "vintage" bike.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,361 Posts
Yes...very "urban"stylized 😉(though they do say for future military markets.......) Tho you could probably adapt a Honda CT110 for something similar without the dual power tho.....

I actually want one of these "Hunter Cubs"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts