Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!!! I HAVE A 82 CX 500 WITH A 79 OR 80 MOTOR IN IT...I AM VERY EXPERENCED IN THESE BIKES ..I HAVE A TRIDENT TRIKE , IT WAS A METER MAID CART FROM NYNY IN ITS HAY DAY I HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE REBUILDING OF THE BIKE OVER 15 YEARS AND HAVE MANY MILES ON THE FRAME...IM EXPERENCEING ISUES WITH IT NOT SPARKING ,,,YET AGAIN,,, I HAVE PROBLY 9 DIFFERNT BOXES FOR IT BUT CANT SEEM TO GET ANY TO WORK LONG...I SEE THEY NOW MAKE A AFTERMARKET IGN ...THANK GOD, BUT I SEE TOO THEY HAVE ISSUES AND ARE EXPENSIVE, SO RIGHT NOW I CANT AFFORD THE NEW TYPE BOX DOES ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE SPECKS FOR THE IGN PULSER COILS OR THE CHARGEING COILD FOR THE CAPS? YES I GOT OLD STYLE MEETERS AND SUCH YES I KNOW THE BOX IS INHERENTLY BAD YES I KNOW HOW TO DO ANY THING ELECRTICAL ON THE BIKE, YES I KNOW TOO THAT THE 82 IS A DOUBLE SILVER BOX STYLE ,VS A BIG BOX STYLE I HAVE MY BIKE SET UP TO RUN BOTH OF THEM DEPENDING ON THE MOTOR....I THINK FIRST I NEED ANY AND ALL MESUREMENTS FOR THE COIL/STATOR TO DETERMINE THE VALUES AND SEE IF ITS THE BOX OR THE STATOR/IGN CHARGE FIREING COILS...THANKS..IM IN FLA USA AND ID SURE LIKE TO MAKE IT TO BIKE WEK IN EARLIY MARCH SO I YELL AGAIN help!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Rooster,

Welcome to the forum. Some day maybe you can share pictures with us.

I'm not one of the electrical experts here but I know help is coming from one of them soon. I'm sure their going to want to know HOW you have it set up to run either style CDI or TI ignition. I assume you are running the CDI stator right now.

Here is what it says in my paper manual about the pulsars. Sorry, I can't find the digital copy.

INSPECTION

Disconnect the advance pulsar coupler. ( the large 8 pin connector that's under the seat.)

Measure the resistance of stator coil.

ORANGE/WHITE - GREEN: 185-225 OHMS.

LIGHT BLUE/WHITE - GREEN: 185-225 OHMS.

I hope this helps without pictures.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you tried all those CDI boxes then the stator or pulsar coils are probably the problem.

Search through here for stator test - first place to start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes LRCXed,, i will try those values out shortly ty as for the set up on the "conversion" well the CDI and the TI both are 95% in the motoer harness so switching to a older larger cdi box is pretty simple you just need to soulder on 3 female leads one for the kill circut and one each for the coils then just tape up the TI connectors so it wont get stuff in it or short out in running it...rember that mine is normally the silver lil TI boxes so the connectors are all ready made in to the bikes main harness so when you install a older motor the harness for the larger style box is all ready on the motor and you just need to feed the bike harness with the signal for the coils and the kill switch every thing else is self contained in the motor harness..........as for pictures well i have tryed and tryed to post them but the site wont load them up after i click on the saved button it just sitts there i even tryed to add the pict here but i have no idea how to do a http address when its in my putor...id love to show it its a very rare bike to see...i took top honners in the 99 trike show at daytona bike week with it and i have never in my 28 years of going seen anouther one, i did see a old icecream trike on ebay about 4 or 5 years ago but thats only one i have ever seen except mine....thanks for all the help and if ya got any suggestions on how to up load the picts let me know ill be sure to post those right away...thanks again

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes marshallf3 i kinda figured it might be the stator since most the boxes i have i got off ebay its a hit or miss if they truely work i did get one or 2 from a bike yard way out in calafornia too but its been a few years since i have had the isue so i simply dont rember which was good or bad....silly me i should of marked them when i had it running...now it dont run its a lil hard to daduce that part...hopefully the side car person thats haveing his issue in melborne beach will holler to me and i can take him my boxes and give em a try on his knowen runner bike so then ill know for sure which is which....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Get a cheap DVM (you haven't fully filled in your profile) and test the stator.

Also try searching fo the "White wire fix"

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Rooster, through the effort of David in Wisconsin, and Blindstitch, they found the manuals and have been downloading them as well as adding them to these links.

It's going to be a two part download, and I understand their quit time consuming to download. So set time aside for them before you get the loads started.

FSM part 1

FSM part 2

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Larry,

I don't know how long those links will last but I have all of the information the the Drop Io Backup link in my signature line.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Rooster, I too would like to know how you have it set up to use either the CDI or TI boxes. I believe the stators, flywheel, advancers, and rear cover are also different on these two types. I think you first need to identify exactly what type you have and build from there. If it is indeed a 82, then the internals should be a TI system. Unless someone has changed it out. Normally, the TI is considered a less troublesome system and doesn't get swapped for a CDI system.

You may have to actually pull the rear cover to tell, but I'm betting that it is a TI, and a CDI box will not work no matter how you change the harness.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
No need to pull the rear cover. On the cdi bikes there are multiple plugs coming from the rear cover, on the ti it's just the one connector.

Also the cdi bikes have a small plate on the back of the rear cover where the ti have a box if you want to call it that. The box sticks back at least two inches and has a breather hole I believe.

There's also one other factor in this. What if the bike was manufactured for 82 by trident but is actually an earlier bike with a new vin. Lots of what if's.

I think we need to see some pictures of what's going on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blue fox, dude read my post....and read it again...i stated the bike was a 82 cx 500c...i stated the motor was a 79 or 80.....that means.. 1,the bike was orginally the TI set up....2 the motor is the older style cdi,...i told you all the harness was mainly with the motor eighter the ti or the cdi motor harness are with the motor , i dont need to look or remove the cover i am fully aware the systems are differnt in the motor , for one the cover forthe cdi is a stamped steel and the cover for the ti is a cast alumin cover plus the rotor it is totally differnt and the stators are totally differnt as it the way they are mounted in the motor...i DID NOT change the elecrtical componants in any of it they do not interchange,at all, i simply added 3 wires to the BIKES harness, not the MOTORS harness....i did this so that no matter which motor i was able to get it would work in the bike be it a TI or a CDI motor ... ive owned this trike for 15 years now i have had 4 differnt motors in it it does work and it works very well.....all you got to do is add 3 wires to the bikes side harness to provide the blackwhite kill circut and the 2 coils....thats it its simple...........if i could figure out how on this site to add pictsure id take a few and show you...its not rocket science or black majic,......."As for the set up on the "conversion" well the CDI and the TI both are 95% in the moter harness so switching to a older larger cdi box is pretty simple you just need to soulder on 3 female leads one for the kill circut and one each for the coils then just tape up the TI connectors so it wont get stuff in it or short out in running it...rember that mine is normally the silver lil TI boxes so the connectors are all ready made in to the bikes main harness so when you install a older motor the harness for the larger style box is all ready on the motor and you just need to feed the bike harness with the signal for the coils and the kill switch every thing else is self contained in the motor harness.......... how hard is that to understand?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Well this is getting interesting. To bad I have to go to work.

Where exactly did you solder the kill and coils. Since on a cdi bike the coils come right out of the cdi?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ROLLS EYES.....is a 82 cx500 it was re made with a cj2a rear end with a evenrude rig gear for revers welded to the rear end the bike was modified by TRIDENT...... tell me how to load picts ill show you...... the vin is a honda cx500c vin theres no reident plate at all it is regsatered by the cx500 honda vin ....lol i know you guys are trying to help and all but trust me theres no "WHAT IFS" here going on it is a 82 cx500 with a 79 or 80 cx500d motor........giggling at the replies please please PLEASE excuse me if i seem a lil miffed by the questions its just not that hard to get what im saying.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rotflmao......blindstich read the post again...i soldered the wirs to the base of the bikes harness for the 2 ti boxes plug in, NOT THE CDI SIDE!!!!....that is why you need the wires your correct in that they come from the cdi box but in the ti config on the bikes harness theres no place to plug them in heiar by i added the male bullts to the bike side harness so you could simply plug the cdi in to the older ti plugs and use the origanl bikes harness to give the signals back to the coils....SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO UP LOAD PICTURES ON THIS SITE!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
OK Rooster. First you need to go to Photobucket.com and sign up there. Then you need to upload your pictures. When that's done let me know and I'll find a link in the test forum that explains how to do the rest OK.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
In the past when I needed to post a pic I couldn't do myself, I emailed the pics to someone smarter (Don in my case) and he posted them for me. Probably quicker for a short term solution. Sounds like an interesting mod, never heard of anyone doing it before. Ought to become known as the "Rooster Switch" or some other memorable label. Agreed, not rocket science, but clever. I've always been a fan of finding another engine as the fastest and cheapest solution to internal engine problems.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My mistake, Rooster. I didn't read it twice. So, I assume you have also swapped the coils when you swapped out engines? And I could be wrong here, but I thought the kill circuit is different also on the TI bikes.

So,(and I really do want to help), how did this non running condition occur? Did it just stop and then not want to fire? Or were you doing other maintenance and then it wouldn't start? I assume there is no spark on either side? While pictures may be helpful, they may not show what is actually wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ahhhhh finally a word of wisedom...ty richNCT.....LRCXed ..ty sir for your info your very help full im going to do that right now....and ty for the down load links they worked fine i got them both

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok bluefox 1st no i used the same fireing ignciols for both a sparking coil is a sparking ciol onlt differnce might be the restintance in the primary but in motorcycle coils the restience is close enough you can use any type 12v coild from yamaha to suski they might mout differnt or have a spde or bullit but ensecally that will be the same.......so again i used the coils the was on the bike orginally and never had any issues with them not fireing or being week or breaking down...like i said i owen this trike for many years and have made many trips with it....................ALSO for all you out there i removed the weak cx single disc brake front end and replaced it with a cb 900 super custom duel disc air adjusted front end it was about 4 inches or 3 inches longer but it defently help the over all ride and the added front brakeing made a huge difference in the ability to stopp it hard and fast with out haveing to lock up the cj2a jeeps rear drums and slide it not fun when ya wifes pounding on ya back cause ya trying not to get hit and ya are trying to stop sideways...lol but thats anouther storry

...............................as too your outher questions...1 "How did this non running condition occur? Did it just stop and then not want to fire?..... answer yes it was parked and then wouldnt restart un fortuneately my brother was one who was driveing it at the time and he stuck it back in the back yard and left it ...so when i went to go to bike week 2 years back it wouldnt fire i had spark for maybe 1/2 hour of runtime but because he had neglected my poor baby the carbs where tottally gummed up and all though i have 3 or 4 sets of carbs i didnt have a set worthy to rebuild i eighter had one side or anouther side that worked so i resolved to get some nicer and better e-bay carbs i fixed those rebuilt and cleaned them out and got all ready to try put her back on the road thats when i found my now no spark issue and went a searching for a bow for it now its a year later i got a few boxes and i got 3 motors that i can remove the electrics from if i need to...................2 "Or were you doing other maintenance and then it wouldn't start? I assume there is no spark on either side?"... no wasent doing maintenance..im thinkng your thinking i might of inavertly bumped or unplugged a connection..no i checked my continuaty and made sure all connections was solid and clean every thing there is good ,,, yes no spark at all bothsides

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.