Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500D (Not Running)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

A while ago I bought a burned out CX500 with no airbox and a cut wiring harness, and figured it was a great candidate for a custom bike. So fast forward a lot of work and a lot of fun later, it is running and I take it around the neighborhood, but I feel like I am not getting full power to the wheels. Come to find out that when I am in first gear with the clutch fully pulled in the bike still coasts forward slightly (is this called clutch slippage?)

So I read some other posts and get some things to check, so I pull the clutch out and it looks like this:
Textile Sleeve Grey Font Pattern

I don't know the verbage for any of this so bear with me if you could.

OBVIOULSY, there are two broken... thingies.... that go on the rear plate which I imagine resulted in incorrect pressure on the plates and thus power was never fully disengaged. There were signs in the transmission that it had been removed before, namely that the nut holding everything in (that 4 pronged nut) had dents in it where it had obviously been chiseled off.

So here come the questions:
I need to replace that rear plate, anyone know where I can get one?
I have the clutch plates and friction plates aligned in order that I removed them, what thicknesses should they be?
Should I thoroughly clean everything before putting it back in?
Should I oil up the plates when I stick them back together?
If my thicknesses are out of spec then where can I get some new plates?
What are the torque specs for the 4 pronged bolt?
What are the torque specs for the 4 bolts on the springs?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Austin

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
176 Posts
It is possible to repair it. I installed some flat screws on the back and JBWELD the pieces together making sure the post was in line with the others. If I can find an extra one I might have around, I'll send a picture of it. Thread size of the screw would be the same as the bolt that fits in the top, but only long enough to make sure the screw held the parts together.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,099 Posts
...when I am in first gear with the clutch fully pulled in the bike still coasts forward slightly (is this called clutch slippage?)
That's clutch drag, and it's normal, especially until the crankcase oil warms up.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
Hello Everyone!

A while ago I bought a burned out CX500 with no airbox and a cut wiring harness, and figured it was a great candidate for a custom bike. So fast forward a lot of work and a lot of fun later, it is running and I take it around the neighborhood, but I feel like I am not getting full power to the wheels. Come to find out that when I am in first gear with the clutch fully pulled in the bike still coasts forward slightly (is this called clutch slippage?)

So I read some other posts and get some things to check, so I pull the clutch out and it looks like this:
View attachment 213737

I don't know the verbage for any of this so bear with me if you could.

OBVIOULSY, there are two broken... thingies.... that go on the rear plate which I imagine resulted in incorrect pressure on the plates and thus power was never fully disengaged. There were signs in the transmission that it had been removed before, namely that the nut holding everything in (that 4 pronged nut) had dents in it where it had obviously been chiseled off.

So here come the questions:
I need to replace that rear plate, anyone know where I can get one?
I have the clutch plates and friction plates aligned in order that I removed them, what thicknesses should they be?
Should I thoroughly clean everything before putting it back in?
Should I oil up the plates when I stick them back together?
If my thicknesses are out of spec then where can I get some new plates?
What are the torque specs for the 4 pronged bolt?
What are the torque specs for the 4 bolts on the springs?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Austin
A broken clutch pressure plate can be repaired if you can not source a replacement, as shown in this figure.

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Tire

Many of your questions will be answered in the factory service manual. You can download a free copy from the link in my signature.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,099 Posts
OBVIOULSY, there are two broken... thingies....
That's not normal, though sadly, it's not uncommon.
Once you've repaired or replaced it, be sure to tighten those bolts all together, about one turn each at a time. That will keep even pressure on the posts without the lateral force that breaks them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts