Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in July I headed down to Bears in Joliet to get help building a trailer hitch for my bike.

Well the end result was very functional it left me with several sets of brackets on the bike.

This is the design we went with.

This was the end result.

The problem was that I also have hondaline saddlebag brackets on my bike.

It became a real pain to remove both sets of brackets. The best solution seemed to be combining both. So that's what I did.

With the nice little flux core welder Melody bought me for my birthday it made the work pretty easy.

Well after a few days of welding off and on I designed my modified solution. Today I was getting a bit annoyed by the temperature and waiting to finish it up so I primed it in the bathroom. Yes the bathroom. And I didn't even make a mess. It smelled a bit but it was livable but I knew it wasn't going to work for paint. So I painted it in quick burst of 2-3 minutes in the doorway of the building blowing all the aerosol spray outside and bringing it back in to dry. After 3 coats this is what I got.

Now I just have to get it back on the bike and see how easy it really is.

Then when I get time I plan on building another one with a lower hitch height.

Total amount of metal needed was

6 pieces of 1/2 x 3 feet roundbar

1 piece of 5/8 x 3 feet roundbar

1 piece of 1/8 x 1 x 3 feet flat stock

1 piece of 1/4 x 2 x 3 feet flat stock

Cost was about $42.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
782 Posts
OUTSTANDING job !!!! I like it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Here is a project by an owner of the Yamaha FJR1300 in Queensland Aus.

Here is a link to the thread.

Swivel Hitch

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Back in July I headed down to Bears in Joliet to get help building a trailer hitch for my bike.

Well the end result was very functional it left me with several sets of brackets on the bike.

This is the design we went with.

This was the end result.

The problem was that I also have hondaline saddlebag brackets on my bike.

It became a real pain to remove both sets of brackets. The best solution seemed to be combining both. So that's what I did.

With the nice little flux core welder Melody bought me for my birthday it made the work pretty easy.

Well after a few days of welding off and on I designed my modified solution. Today I was getting a bit annoyed by the temperature and waiting to finish it up so I primed it in the bathroom. Yes the bathroom. And I didn't even make a mess. It smelled a bit but it was livable but I knew it wasn't going to work for paint. So I painted it in quick burst of 2-3 minutes in the doorway of the building blowing all the aerosol spray outside and bringing it back in to dry. After 3 coats this is what I got.

Now I just have to get it back on the bike and see how easy it really is.

Then when I get time I plan on building another one with a lower hitch height.

Total amount of metal needed was

6 pieces of 1/2 x 3 feet roundbar

1 piece of 5/8 x 3 feet roundbar

1 piece of 1/8 x 1 x 3 feet flat stock

1 piece of 1/4 x 2 x 3 feet flat stock

Cost was about $42.

No need to lower the ball, just goose-neck the trailer tounge. Good looking job, Stitch.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you will get better stability if the hitch is the same height as the center of your rear axle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also think you have done a great job, but I also thought it was a bit high. I had a trailer on my last bike but the tow point was very much lower!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is true that the closer the hitch is to the rear axle the better it will fare as a leverage point. A lot of this was addressed in the original thread. I want to be safe and I also want to hone my welding skills a bit so eventually a lower one will probably be made. But the urgency will come after several test runs and miles put on the trailer.

Thanks Phil. As for the gooseneck it was the first thing I made when I got the welder. Under load it doesn't look as high but the ball height is around 19 inches. The ball height of the harbor freight small trailer with 8 inch rims is just short of 15 inches to be level. That's the one I have. The level ball height of the 12 inch rims is 17 inches. By the way the shocks on my bike are at the highest level and I like it that way. If I ran a bit less preload it would also bring it down some.

One of the nice things that I like about this hitch is if I need to change the tire I can just put it on the centerstand and with a bit of effort I can weasel it out. This was a concern when I was building it because I didn't want to run into a problem on the road with a flat and have to rip apart the whole bike or put it on a flatbed just to change a flat tire.

I cant wait till it gets warmer because I have some mods to do on the trailer.

I have to weld up the axle and flip it over the springs.

Add a front cooler rack.

Either detachable tongue or one that can swing under the frame for easy storing. Not that it's taking up much room at about 7 feet.

There's also a single wheel or inder replica trailer that I plan on attempting to build.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Looks good Stitch. I need to get started on my hitch as well. My wife and I would like to take some long trips on the bikes this year, so we will need a trailer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That looks really good stitch.

I bought a welder last year some time and still haven't played around with it enough to figure it all out.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
good job Don.that welder has nearly paid for itself,if not already,it will by the end of the year

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good job Don.that welder has nearly paid for itself,if not already,it will by the end of the year

Here's some food for thought. The only easy access I have for another welder is Bearman's and it's 110 miles each way and $8 in tolls. Throw in a few pops and it's over $30 just to go. Would only have took 3 trips if I didn't get the welder as a present. It has easily paid for itself. I only wish I had a gl500 so I could have helped the other people that contacted me about making a hitch.

But with any luck I can make a few dollars on basic trunk extenders for those that really want something cheaper than a $300 markland.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice looking. If worse comes to worse, you can weld some more and modify the trailer. It's a lot more practical to raise the coupler than lose the space for a tire change.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Don,how would that fit on a 83/4 CX650E? any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably fine without mufflers.

I have been trying to get Phoenix Blaze's trailer hitch but after he gave me the price I emailed him back and haven't gotten anything. I would like to try and offer a hitch for the gl500/650 but at this rate I might just have to buy one to make a hitch.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

I have been trying to get Phoenix Blaze's trailer hitch but after he gave me the price I emailed him back and haven't gotten anything. I would like to try and offer a hitch for the gl500/650 but at this rate I might just have to buy one to make a hitch.
thanks Don

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

not a prototype i hope Don

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Stitch, if you ever get a GL hitch can you please post some pics and dimensions? I want to make a hitch for my GL and I would like to get it right the first time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts