Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Tore into the Engine today.

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Randall-in-Mpls 
#1 ·
Well I finally got back out into the barn to tear apart my engine. Good news I got the rear cover off so I could take a look at the cam chain and stator.

Bad news cam chain is eating up the bolt so something must be bad and the stator is pretty dark in color.

I have the triple bypass document saved on my other computer so I have an idea of what all I need.

The question is what all should I be looking for when I am checking it out? I have never really understood how you tell if the cam chain is bad but this one has quite a bit of play in it so I think I need to start replacing parts.

I know I can do all this work myself it's just a little discouraging because I really thought all would be well. I didn't have any noises or anything odd at all. Plus having never done any engine work on a motorcycle like this I feel a little in over my head.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
I will just start looking for new bits. I had planned on doing this all eventually but didn't really want to do it right now. Don't really have to much money to spare but it will be worth it I suppose.

I do have another question, when I pulled the rear cover off the gear shift shaft was still stuck in the rear cover, I popped it out before I pulled it all the way off but it seemed like it might have stretched that spring out, so I might need to replace that while I have the cover off. When I put it back on it the pice with the teeth on it seems to go farther back than the pice that i assume it locks into. Any thoughts? Maybe i will need a picture of it, not the easiest thing to describe I guess.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I will have to get back out in the shop and take another look. It seemed when i took the cover off that the adjuster bolt was loose. I didn't get to ride the bike but maybe 150 miles since I got it late in the summer. I the PO did some screwy stuff with it, I don't think he was all that mechanically inclined. I don't think I ever checked on the bolt. I should be able to get back out into he shop tomorrow and see what is going on.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I just went out and took a look at it. I had the left cylinder at top dead center, where i couldn't move the rocker arms at all. Is that the compression stroke?

The nut was loose, but the adjuster wouldn't move at all. I tapped the end of the bolt, like most people say to do if your adjusting it in the bike. Didn't help. I actually had to push the adjuster over. It seemed like i had it pushed over as far as i could, and their was still a bit of room on the tensioner slot. It seemed like it could still grind up the case and bolt. I pushed on the chain with a screw driver and i think it could still contact the case and bolt.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Well yesterday I got to spend some more time working on the engine. I got the left cylinder at TDC and loosened up the adjuster nut. I pulled up on the tensioner to get everything working free and it moved back into position. When it is properly tensioned should the chain move at all? I could move it with a screw driver and make it hit the spot of wear. IDK if that means anything or not.

And the spring on the gear shift part, is that supposed to be tight coils or loose pulled apart coils? When I pulled the case off all that part pulled out too so I am still figuring out how it all fits back together.

Here is a picture of the tensioner slot when it is fully tensioned.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Yeah I figure at this point I might as well replace it all.

I just got a big box of parts yesterday with the WP oil seal, rear cover gasket, shifter seal, and a bunch of other stuff. Now I just need to order a cam chain and tensioner. I looked at a triple bypass thread the other day and it seems most of the cam chain specific stuff on the list is not available anymore. Would I be okay with just a chain and tensioner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.