Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum as I just got a CX500 delivered from a seller on ebay last night. It works well at low speeds but I cant seem to get it over 60mph at a push!

It feels comfortable at 50mph... I've had a look and people have said 85mph should be comfortable and even a ton should be possible...

What are the first things I should check before going to a garage? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first 'old' bike and I'm no mechanic...

Thanks
Joseph

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
1. High speed winding on the stator
2. Swap CDI boxes
3. Jets in the correct towers
4. Spark plugs
5. Coils
6. Compression
7. Black plugs in carbs
8. Leaking intake runners
9. Restricted exhaust
19. Clogged air filter

Welcome to the forum, Joseph. Now you will need to start studying the Wiki, the forum posts, and the Factory Service Manual. References to all of the above are contained in those sources. A garage will either laugh at you for bringing in a 30+ year old bike, or will rob you in the process of fixing it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the bike has sat that you don't know about cleaning the carbs is the first thing to look at. That is the most common thing and least expensive if not time consuming. If the bike is 81 or older there are other things to check like the high speed winding in the stator. Look on here enough and you will find good instructions for carb cleaning which must be done thoroughly and also how to check the stator. There is also much information on what to do about stator problems such as using an Ignitec to replace the CDI. It may be scary for you but a cx500 will not be afraid to take you over a hundred miles an hour if it is running right. Bikes sold in the United States have a speedometer that only goes to 80 becaus of the old 55 mph max speed in the states . The rest of the world has speedometers that are either in kph or both and go to 120mph. I have had one to 110 in my younger days. That is mph the engine should not be afraid to rev I remember once shifting with the tach buried around 12000 rpm. Not recomended just held it open a half second too long. The real power band starts at 7000 rpm the power should just double there. I have a 1980 cx5oo deluxe and am coming 66 years old.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
C'mon guys.....first things first.

Joseph, you should do the wheel to wheel high mileage service as a first step. Get the FSM, Haynes or Clymers for reference.

You should place the model and year of your bike in the signature line.

It would help us if we knew the mileage or any past history of the bike. This helps in troubleshooting.

Pull the high mileage maintenance and lets see how the bike behaves when you are finished.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

Thanks for the responses - I shall have a look tonight. The bike is a CX500 B 1981 with around 55,000 miles on the clock

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Definitely do the high mileage service. Road to mirrors and wheel to wheel. Then lets see what happens. I'll wager 100 rmb internet money that most of the issues will go away.

BTW, don't waste your time or money on a garage. They likely won't have the skills to work on a 32 yo bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Most shops will just refuse to work on a bike that old so it's probably not going to be an option anyway.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,335 Posts
Not being able to break 60mph suggests to me that the carb jets are in the wrong tower or the carb is dirty. Usually when the jets are in the wrong spot it will get up to about 55-60 and no furthers.

If it was the cdi I would think 45-50mph because it can't hook up to the high speed winding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I haven't had a chance to look yet with work being busy! I think that it might be a problem with the throttle if that's possible. It's hard to get the revs up and I accelerate slowly to avoid the revs cutting out completely....

I can feel that there's power to be had in the bike but it seems I can't get to it... if that makes sense??!

I shall have a look through the forum and follow the steps you've suggested - firstly a high mileage service and then high speed winding I think?

As I've mentioned - no mechanic - so any links to other forum posts which would help me would be muuuuuuch appreciated. Would love to get the bike back to its former glory.

Thanks again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Joseph,

I highly doubt it is trouble with your actual throttle cable but hey might as well give it a quick look over nothing wrong with that.

When you say that the revs cut out completely I'm assuming that you mean the bike wants to die if you twist the throttle too fast. Honestly sounds like a carb issue but it's hard to tell what shape everything is in or what the actual problem is. As everyone else said go check out the high mileage service. This will cover many things that are necessary to check and it might resolve your issue. Also by going over these things you will learn more in depth on how the bike operates.

Just to give you a little clarity on what the "high speed winding" is. It is a part of the stator (the charging system) that's responsible for a few different functions on the bike. When you get to a certain speed the CDI uses certain coils on the stator to operate properly. If these coils have burnt out they will no longer work not allowing the bike run properly. Also your CDI could be bad not allowing your bike to communicate with those coils. Before you dive into messing with the stator and CDI box there are a ton of other things that should be checked before you concern yourself with messing with these things. Unless of course you have a spare CDI that you can just plug in really quick to check.

Anyways definatly go over the high milage service and check all of that before you start trying to further pinpoint the problem. It will save you a lot of time and help you get aquainted with how your bike operates.

Best of luck and if you are looking for answers you will be able to find them here somewhere that is for sure.

Chuck

·
Registered
361 Posts
Study the wiki site. That will be your friend. As many have said, not many people are willing to work on a bike over 30years old. It will seem a bit intimadating at first but just be patient. Doing it yourself will help you keep the bike going for years to come. It will give you a sense of accomplishment. It's much more affordable and much more reliable. Many many guys here can guide you along the way. Download the service manual and buy Larry's carb book. They are a must have.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I went out for a ride last night 75 to 85 mph over the bridge from Tampa to St. Pete. After dinner on the return ride home I could not get my GL650 over 60 mph. What's up with that maybe time to clean the carbs maybe? Well I started by checking the petcock, it is fine. I then thought hmmm.... I'll drain that funky oil tank that sits under the air filter, and check the air filter too. Well there is the rub I recently replaced my old k&n filter with a new paper filter and the paper filter was soaked with oil and not flowing air. I had not drained that oil trap under the air box for 20k miles and it was pretty full and soaked the paper filter - thus the cure was to put the old K&N back in works fine with oil. (first I did a test ride with no filter and all was fine - very easy cure - the whole fix took 10 minutes)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Haynes manual which is helpful but I'm finding it hard to find out exactly how I should carry out a high mileage service.

Is there a good place to look for this information?

Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts