Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a 1980 CX running that has been sitting for a number of years without being started. I know the carbs need a nice cleaning and based on the posts here, I went ahead and ordered a copy of Larry's book to guide me through that process.

Now, I'm fairly comfortable with a number of tools from doing some simple home repairs (plumbing, electrical, etc) but my work on vehicles is really limited (working on bicycles and doing things like oil changes on an old girlfriend's classic ford falcon), so if there's anything automotive specific there's a good chance I don't own it.

So, my question: would anyone be willing to provide me a general list of the tools that I should have ready for when the book arrives and I want to get cleaning? I'm sure the book itself will mention things, but if it's possible, I'd love to get everything together ahead of time just in case anything ends up being a pain to get a hold of, that way I can get going right away as soon as the book comes in the mail.

I really appreciate any help, thanks all!

-ck

·
Registered
832 Posts
An ultrasonic cleaning bath would be great. Some JIS screwdrivers size 2 and 3. With impact handle even better. Some fine drill bits like this...https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm%2 F132290198534
Some 0000 steel wool, a fine hook for the pilot screw o ring and washer, a pair of locking haemostats was useful to open up the balancing screw washers and for the choke spring, a selection of flat screwdrivers, compressed air....but Larry's book will be more detailed. Welcome to the forum.

Oh...and my vid to complement the process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CXapatite, thank you for the input! I had been looking at an ultrasonic cleaner and the JIS impact drivers but hadn't thought about the hemostats or drill bits.

I enjoyed watching a few of your videos, too. The bike's looking sharp!

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
These are some of the carb tools I've accumulated.

Metalworking hand tool Tool Cutting tool

The easy outs are for removal of the pressed in idle jet which your 80 is likely to have. Better is the 44/40 tap and nut and bolt shown. The brass drift is for knocking them back in.

On the lower right is an adapted screwdriver bit. You'll need to grind one like this to properly fit the low speed emulsion tube or you'll chew the top of the tube off trying to remove it. I find it best to remove these sorts of things after the first round of cleaning while the carbs are hot from the US cleaner.

The pliers have their ends split and are used for reassembling with the balance adjuster in place if I'm trying to maintain the original balance.

Much of the rest is self explanatory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.