Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to complete the tool kit that came with my bike. It only has a pliers, a 14/15 crescent wrench, a spark plug remover with the torque rod, and a dual socket-type thing. What is standard with these and does anyone have pictures to share?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The tools can bee seen on bikebandit.

Joel has many of these tools in that lot of bike stuff he picked up recently.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,710 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
My newest GL500 came with a complete factory tool kit and tire gauge. The spark plug wrench and spanner wrench are handy but the other tools are poor quality. I wouldn't dare use the Phillips screwdriver for instance for fear of bunging up a screw. So I've built my own tool kit similar to the factory kit but with better quality tools. Yes I still have the factory stuff so if I sell the bike, the next owner will get a complete tool kit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I had considered the second tool set in Sidecar's post, but I was not sure of its completeness. Since it is missing only the poor quality screwdrivers I may buy it. And Dash you are SO right about the poor quality of these tools. I do not understand that because Japanese products are some of the best quality that are made.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My newest GL500 came with a complete factory tool kit and tire gauge. The spark plug wrench and spanner wrench are handy but the other tools are poor quality. I wouldn't dare use the Phillips screwdriver for instance for fear of bunging up a screw. So I've built my own tool kit similar to the factory kit but with better quality tools. Yes I still have the factory stuff so if I sell the bike, the next owner will get a complete tool kit.

I can't help but to agree, it would just be a contest to see who could fit the most in the alloted space.

I can't say that I've ever seen a factory tool kit that looked like it was meant to be used to any extent. On my dirt bikes I often used the plug wrench but the wrenches requred to adjust the chain were replaced with Craftsman in shor order. Added a chain link tool and link repair kit as well, that saved me more than once.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,710 Posts
The tools that come with most bikes are intended only for emergencies.

The tools that came with my '82 Dnepr were intended for performing basic maintenance & fixing whatever left you stranded by the side of the road in the middle of Siberia. I still use some of them pretty regularly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the second set of tools in the above post. They have arrived are are quite nice! I had to make the holes ever-so-slightly larger in the spark plug remover to fit my torque rod, but it works! Curiously there is NO torque rod shown in the above picture (if I missed it forgive me for not wearing my reading glasses). And marshall is correct about me wanting to get the most tools within the small space allotted in the cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.