Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Today is unfortunately the last day for a few years that I can work on my cx project. I am moving to Japan for work, and I will have to leave this behind.

I came to own this from a family friend that left the 1980 cx500 layed up for 10 year with a bush growing through the right side. Realistically if I had not come around this poor bike would probably been scrapped. It was in some pretty poor condition, so I did not feel bad about turning it into a cafe. The tank was rotted out, and front brake system was corroted beyond repair. , but surprisingly with a quick carb clean/rebuild and a new battery, it fired up like it wasn't even stored.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

So after about 1 year 9 months, I have arrived to here. I have replace/rebuilt/cleaned almost every part of this just shy of the triple bypass. Built custom part, rewired the bike with m-unit and a raysan 12v conversion.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

I have learn so much about motorcycle throught this and still I am only scratching the surface. But only one issue still puzzles me, my clutch will not disengage. I have taken it apart, replaced springs, adjusted the cable, new cable. And still will not disengage. But that will have to wait.

I want to thank everyone that has given advice over this project.
This is not so much a goodbye, more so, see you guys later.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
Sorry to see you go but enjoy the next adventure. And don't hesitate to drop by the forum any time, whether you are currently in possession of one of these bikes or not.
Heck, if I was going to leave my bikes in storage while I lived somewhere else for 5 years I would seriously consider getting a bike to ride there (& of course would let my friends on the forum know about it).

BTW: Before you put it into storage for that long I'd advise draining the carbs and the tank and maybe applying a coat of wax on the shiny areas (but don't buff it off until you take it out of storage).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ill add once in Japan youll be exposed to tools and aftermarket accessories that dont often make their way to the mainstream.....that cx if stored as per Bob..might end up a better bike than once left....again good luck with the new episode....and enjoy their food/hospitality and good brews...and philosophical approach of the new land...
(Some of my extended family is Japanese)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Japan has Home-Market CX400 bikes - you may find one of then as transport there so you dont miss your fix

Reactions: Dragonstaff

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,472 Posts
I lived in Japan for 10 years. Explore bikes there. Like others have said, maybe you'll make finds there you can bring home for your CX. Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts