Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I recently picked up this 1979 CX500. I loathe the plastic front housing. The handlebars have too much of a pullback (With my long arms, I feel like I am parasailing at speed..)

The paint looks nicer than it is. The master cylinder dripped on the paint on the non-photographed side.

Runs well after the carb rebuild and tune.

The question: Do I incite huge portions of butthurt by chopping it up, or do I repaint and put new handlebars on it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
So, I recently picked up this 1979 CX500. I loathe the plastic front housing. The handlebars have too much of a pullback (With my long arms, I feel like I am parasailing at speed..)

The paint looks nicer than it is. The master cylinder dripped on the paint on the non-photographed side.

Runs well after the carb rebuild and tune.

The question: Do I incite huge portions of butthurt by chopping it up, or do I repaint and put new handlebars on it?

]
Posting a topic like this does open up a can of worms..............do what you want with it,as it is yours ,or sell it to someone who wants a decent stock bike..does not sound that you like the present condition..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "chopping it up." It's your bike now, your opinion is the important one. By all means, change the bars if you don't like the ones on it. That was the very first thing I did with mine.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the paint job is not mint then there is no concern over preserving the bike there are many of them around

if the paint and finish of the bike were great it would be a different story
I think I am going to paint the "maroon" stuff wimbledon white (Offwhite). New handlebars. New grips. New mirrors. Same seat, frame, suspension. The bike will be more comfortable, but not irreversible.

Now I just have to find the time that I don't mind having it out of commission during prime riding season!

Anyone have a line on replacement tank decals at a decent price?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Cool bike. If it were me, I'd have it repainted to the stock color, it's a very nice combination. White with a little color striping would be nice too, keep the general style of the stripes that are on it, and change the colors if you like, and the little plastic fairing is THE BOMB! I Dig it man! much nicer than seeing the regular headlight bucket that mine has, a real eye sore to me, that's why I covered it with my own fairing. I'm sure there are quite a few folks out there who'd love to have it on their bike. You might like it better when the color is changed.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Thomas, as soon as I saw your post, I thought, "Of COURSE he loves the mini fairing! He built one from scratch!!!" In fact, when I asked you how the fairing met up with the gauges, I was thinking of asking you to trade for your gauges for my mini fairing!

I am digging the idea of the white with the CX500 stripes in red or orange.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As already said: It´s your bike - do with it as you wish.

I completely understand how you feel about those bars - not only ugly but also giving a strange riding position. Seem to be US standard for that model. In Europe (also AUS, as i gathered) came lower bars, pretty straight and "sporty". Depends on your length etc, how well those bars would fit you. By adding a small aftermarket "thumbnail" screen to that instrument nacelle you´ll get some (limited but clearly noticeable) wind protection. That, together with a more leaned forward riding position could be pretty much what you´re looking for.

I went a small step further with mine: Upside-down mounted "clubmans" instead of European standard model bars. Together with the -1981 original "thumbnail" screen I´ve got quite comfortable riding position that never makes me especially tired. Of course butt sore, but that´s already one inevitable part of biking.

If you want it sort of original - replace those non-matching winkers / indicators with original-looking aftermarket stuff. Maybe also cut down the rear winker stalks - they look much better, shortened a bit, but will then be non-original.

Keep those "original" Hondaline engine guards - hard to find an look smarter than most other engine guards.

Two things I noticed from your pictures: The -79 wheels differ from the -78 ones. No black plastic "tabs" over the rim rivets. And also marginally wider rear. I´ve always believed there was a difference between -78 and -79 rims but never got it confirmed. Like the different brake fluid reservoirs. -78 round, -79 quare.

/Sture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.