Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new as a registered user, but have been enjoying this wealth of information on here for a while (Thanks to everyone for that!). I recently encountered an issue to which I couldn't find a post about.

I have a 1982 GL500 that I purchased a year ago with 14,000 miles on it. The bike looked squeaky clean, and the owner from whom I bought it had only ridden it a little bit, and had relatively little info about maintenance before that, other than some plug changes and it always being garaged. It had new tires, and was running splendidly. I changed the oil and filter, which ended up being real dirty and overdue.

Flash forward 3,000 miles. I have had almost no problems, other than replacing spark plugs and putting in a new battery. (I noticed the right cylinder was running a little rich from some carbon deposits on the right plug). There is a VERY faint lurching vibration when the engine is at about 4.5k RPMS and holding steady which after it warms up is not an issue.

I purchased Larry's carb book and a rebuild kit from Randaak's, and yesterday took off the carbs. I didn't take them apart, but from looking in the inflow and outflow ports of the carb it's all shiny and clean in there. The O-ring connecting the cylinder head and the intake tube looks like it is relatively aged and could probably stand to be replaced.

My question is this: Should I take the time to pull these apart, clean them, and replace gaskets/o-rings as per Larry's book, or should I leave them be for now? My service manual recommends maintenance every 10,000 on these buggers.

Thanks for reading,
Lorenzo

·
Registered
143 Posts
The throat of the carburetors doesn't really tell you anything reliable about the condition of the jets and air passageways inside the carburetors. If you have the carbs out, it may be worth cracking them open and cleaning the jets.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Also, you don't necessarily need to separate the carbs from each other if you just want to get into each one and clean out the jets, etc...
The only time I separated them was when the fuel rail leaked.
I was going to say that before you yank the carbs put some Seafoam thru a couple tanks of gas and see if that clears up what ails it, but whatever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts