Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1981 GL500, 1984 Yamaha Maxim 400 DOHC
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just rebuilding my 81GL500 and needing the pivot lock nut wrench 07908-4690001 as it seems I'll just lose too much time trying to make the right tool on my own. The price is unbelievable and shipping is free apparently. This seems too good to be true...has anyone else bought from Tlaseka? check out those prices! Any advice, please comment, thanks,

Sebastien

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Haven't bought from them...but tool is on ebay as well....

Where is Tlaseka based??...they say they offer free shipping and list DHL/EMS/Fedex all of which are not cheap.:unsure:
Sometimes when its too good to be true.....there is caution needed....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I really don't know where they are; looked all over. I agree, the prices seem too good to be true. Ebay does have tool, but $75 seems super steep. I'll either try to fabricate it myself or see how much the nearby dealer would charge to properly torque the swingarm locknut if I bring them the frame and swingarm together. Once torqued, this assembly should stay together for a long while, hopefully! Looking forward to moving on beyond this stage:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,917 Posts
it seems I'll just lose too much time trying to make the right tool on my own.
It took me about 10 minutes with an angle grinder to convert a 1-1/16" socket into the right tool and I'm a slow worker.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took me about 10 minutes with an angle grinder to convert a 1-1/16" socket into the right tool and I'm a slow worker.....
Ha! The main thing is that I can't separate the lock nut from the bolt. I do have a modified socket as you can see in the pic, that's what I used to loosen the swingarm initially, but now I need to weld another socket to the modified one, then grind a large enough hole in the center of the modified socket to slip a 17mm hex down the middle and keep a grip on the bolt. I'll then use both tools to install the swingarm then torque it. Is there an easier way to do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
282 Posts
Re the OP question about the tlaseka.com site :

AFAIK this is one of a series of dummy cheat sites, all listing [email protected] (google that!) as contact. No other corporate info except their mission is to make you happy. Yes, sure. Their strategy seems to be to nick the adds of other sites - some still show original supplier markings -, ask half the price or so to hook you. Seen them before, never tried to order.

[edited to correct spelling in header]

Reactions: bahn88

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,917 Posts
I've done it several times and always just screwed the bolt in and set the bearings by adjusting it with the Allen wrench, then removed the Allen wrench and used the modified socket to tighten the lock nut. As long as the lock nut turns freely on the bolt tightening it shouldn't affect the setting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re the OP question about the tlaseka.com site :

AFAIK this is one of a series of dummy cheat sites, all listing [email protected] (google that!) as contact. No other corporate info except their mission is to make you happy. Yes, sure. Their strategy seems to be to nick the adds of other sites - some still show original supplier markings -, ask half the price or so to hook you. Seen them before, never tried to order.

[edited to correct spelling in header]
Good point about the email address, it definitely seems shady, thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good Bob, now I just have a bit of a thread issue. I'm on my second converted socket lock nut tool and the first, made with a smaller socket, messed up the threads of the swingarm bolt. As a result, I haven't managed to separate the two but maybe I'll manage to with a thread file. Hope I don't have to buy a new bolt. See below View attachment 207729

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks xcphreak! will keep you posted of results, now just need to go buy the file and get to work...tomorrow! Nice having people around the world; someone's always awake(y)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yeah, I really don't know where they are; looked all over. I agree, the prices seem too good to be true. Ebay does have tool, but $75 seems super steep. I'll either try to fabricate it myself or see how much the nearby dealer would charge to properly torque the swingarm locknut if I bring them the frame and swingarm together. Once torqued, this assembly should stay together for a long while, hopefully! Looking forward to moving on beyond this stage:
View attachment 207720
The tools on ebay (mostly) are a kit usually...the tool and small section of Allen-Key.
Made in UK.
Seen them for $50US..with "free shipping from UK-std mail"....they are a reproduction of the actual (Honda special) tool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done it several times and always just screwed the bolt in and set the bearings by adjusting it with the Allen wrench, then removed the Allen wrench and used the modified socket to tighten the lock nut. As long as the lock nut turns freely on the bolt tightening it shouldn't affect the setting.
A thread file should sort that out nicely.
The bolt is plated to keep it from rusting as easily. If you file the threads they will no longer be plated so use anti seize when you put it together.
Great point, Bob, will do

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Success!! Got the swingarm torqued, used your method, Bob. Had to keep screwing nut along bolt in direction of pristine threads. Once separated from nut, was able to apply thread file to broken threads. Screwed nut onto bolt from repaired end and voilà! Thanks for all the advice 😁

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
while the tool you show will undo the nut it is not the correct tool the one honda made for the bike is offset with a extension

what i do know is if you use the direct socket you wont achieve the same lock down or release torque and its doubtful you will preload it right

as stated in the manual

i dont have a regular socket tool to compare my honda tool so i cant tell how off you will be

but from what i have seen after checking some rebuilds the preload is way off as is the locknut torque

read this

get this

or

or if you have a allen key

then you can actually set the swing arm correctly and torque it properly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Murray, hmm, now I'm wondering if I should just get the tool... Just came back to the bike after 24hrs and feeling a bit of play in the swingarm bearings, will try torquing again with Bob's technique using only the modified socket and take it easy when the bike's finally operational, keeping a good eye on it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you buy the tool you can get it for bout $50 US shipped in the 2nd option as Murray listed and I mentioned at #14......
(you can then always sell it locally;) and recoup most o' it)

You could of course just apply a torque conversion factor if needed... if you find the Honda tool dimensions/the manual specifies the position of the extension ...but this is the lesser best option

1 - 20 of 45 Posts