Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I’ve got the title to the bike. It’s not in my name. The tag agent said I can sign my name on the top line and hire a Craigslist notary. How risky is this?
Handwriting Gesture Finger Font Material property

·
Registered
1983 Honda CX650C with Murray's Carbs and stock exhaust for now
21 Posts
in Alabama
whatever the dmv/tag agent says has always steered me right. If you tell us what state it is in that may help us give more specific answers. You can also go to your local ups store for notary services if cl concerns you

edit

if it’s currently titled in OK, and will be under your name in OK, it appears that the tag agent is correct from what I am finding online. Just a signed title and notary stamp. You may run into issues with the sellers signature being there already, as the seller needs to sign in front of the notary for them to stamp it. I’d say go talk to a notary and take the seller with you if possible

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,459 Posts
The tag agent said I can sign my name on the top line and hire a Craigslist notary.
Here, you can find a notary at the grocery store service counter. Might be worth an inquiry.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My bank does it free of charge for members.

Reactions: jbcurt00

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone
I’ve got the title to the bike. It’s not in my name. The tag agent said I can sign my name on the top line and hire a Craigslist notary. How risky is this? View attachment 213936
I have no idea where the title is from but in North Carolina that is what is referred to by car dealers as an open title. That means that the dates are not filled in until the vehicle is transferred to the new owner so as to not get into paying an additional fees if the title is not registered with the DMV within the allotted time period. When the vehicle is sold all the information is entered and the title is notarized at the same time. The notary is normally associated with the dealer making the sale but most any dealer / notary you know may be able to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts