Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well my rear tire is flat as all get out and i know your thinking just fill it up but i cant theres a hole in it so i plugged it first held air for a week and now i would like you opinions on if i should patch it now or just get a new tire and if the new tire is the route to go i need a cheap tire (good name) so ideas??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hmm....well...first you need to weigh up is there enough remained tread depth to warrant repairing the tyre, and if so is this a fresh leak or a faulty initial repair. In any case if its a crossply repairs are more feasible, but if bias belt or radial, not so much. If the repair area falls outside the centre third of the tyre its not worth it anyway in reality.

Tyre choice is of course, personal, but in reality this is more governed by your existing front tyre as you want something to match. Mixing profiles from differing manufacturers can certainly cause you more problems than it cures. Worst handling condition on a bike is new front, worn rear, followed by worn front, new rear. Both of those states actually handle worse than worn front, worn rear in terms of unpredictability so examine that front carefully also!

One of the things I really like about CX models ( and cetain VFR's for that matter)is that the chassis is so forgiving you can run almost anything tyre wise and get reasonable performance from it. Allie that to the above considerations and you have quite a deal of scope, so let the convenience of location or price work for you on this purchase, and dont be scared of "low budget" tyre offerings on these models they work well. Sophisticated zero degree radials or latest patterns etc are like lipstick on a pig on these bikes

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i found a couple on the bay

and here is the other one

what one do you think would be better

·
Registered
810 Posts
Of those two I'd go with the Kenda (1st). At least they took the time to share the tire spec's. I'm glad to hear your health has improved Lucky.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you linny now if i had the money right now to buy said tire i am going to have to wait a few weeks until i get the money.....so it looks like i am going to have to patch it for now

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I am also glad you are on the mend Lucky. If I were you, I would want to wait until I could get a good tire rather than patch. One time cost that way.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand that trust and believe i do but i want to get back on the bike so i think the patch option will be the best bet for right now hell at 4.99 i can get patches that work for motorcycles and cage tires but if i had the cash i would be buying a new tire i am going to ask people tonight at my bike night if they want to donate money to my cause i no a couple will because they want to go on a ride lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts