Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to swap out my broken Tach cable yesterday afternoon after a long day of work. Pulled the radiator and went to pull the fan and couldn't find my "bolt" to pop the fan off so I loosened the radiator shroud and after about 2 hours finally go to the set screw and found that contrary to most others, mine came off easily. Got it all back together and looked at the bench and saw a "spare bolt" Crap, after looking at it for 30 minutes I remembered it was the Fan bolt. back to square one, everything "back" apart and put the bolt back in, filled the radiator up (second time)and tried to fire it up, no go. finally got it to fire and it started leaking gas from the float bowls. Great, now I get to redo the carbs again (Urgh) Looked down and found the rubber washer from the radiator drain bolt laying on the ground. Starting thinking about what it will take to make a "preacher cuss". Drained the radiator. AGAIN (#3), and replaced the washer.

Moral of the story, NEVER work when you are tired, you will screw up anything you can.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think we can all relate to that. I know I have had many long days and nights in the garage only to come inside still wondering where that mystery bolt came from. But it just makes it that much better when you get out on your first flawless ride!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You'll really kick yourself when you realize that you can remove and install the tach cable without removing anything but the tank, if you use a long screwdriver and a flashlight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll really kick yourself when you realize that you can remove and install the tach cable without removing anything but the tank, if you use a long screwdriver and a flashlight.
I actually looked to do that same thing, but for some reason part of the shroud and other parts were blocking that path leaving me no choice but to tear it down. Wouldn't have been too bad if I didn't keep forgetting to put pieces back on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think, if you asked for a show of hands, We would all be guilty of something along these lines - at one time or another!

Corollary to Murphy's Law: what takes 5 or 6 hours after dinner, takes only an hour or 1-1/2 hours in the morning after a good sleep. Next time, take the extra time to read, and re-read the manual before attempting the job. And for good practice, always use some sort of parts tray. If you have parts left... guess you better do it again, but at least, you haven't lost anything on the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.