Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning gentlemen.

i have a new problem with my 81 GL500i interstate. this past thursday, i had to put a new rear tube in the tire because of a very small nail that was stuck in the center of the tire tread.

i brought it to one bike shop and they couldnt find the leak, so i brought it home and I found it the next day after the first tire shop filled it back up to where it was supposed to be inflated to, and it was low on air again. i took the wheel apart and brought it over to a different bike shop and they installed a new tube in it. it worked great for the past few days, but yesterday while i was ridding, it went flat.

i managed to limp into a car tire shop, asked them for an air chuck and a spray bottle of water to see if i could find the leak. to my supprise, the leak was comming from UNDER the steel valve stem. originally the tire was tubeless, and had a very tiny nail in it so i opted to put a new tube in so i could wait another month to buy a new tire.

now, my question to you guys, is it possable to have a rear motorcycle tire vulcanized patched from the inside and still be safe to ride, or repair the tube if its repairable, or should i have another tube put in it. the bike shop already charged me $52.50 for the tube and installing and ballanceing the wheel. this is sunday, the car tire shop is open today, but the bike shop isnt open till tuesday. should i wait till the bike shop opens or just go ahead and have it fixed and bring the bike shop the bill for the repairs.

btw, had a new front tire put on 2 weeks ago also.

any replies will be apprecated.

thanks,

stuart.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I concur. I would try and put the smallest patch that I could, like if the hole is the size of a ball point pen tip, I'd use a patch the size of a quarter. What Im trying to say, is keeping the patch lighter, will make not having to put a ton of weights on the rim to compensate. On the other hand, IF the hole is the size of 10 penny nail, I would put a boot on it and even perhaps a tube. If you're feeling really lucky, or, blessed, I would even try 1 of those greasy looking tire "plugs" (it just looks greasy because of all the adhesive on the plug cords..lol)..........Of course, ALL the above is dictated to just how much wear is left on the tire, and just how long you are going to ride it. In Illinois, it is illegal to patch or plug any tire on a "steer" axle, also illegal to run a "re-cap" on the steer also, but I digress.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tire wasnt run flat, i was pulling off the roadway and while i crossed the white line of the edge of the road, the rear of the bike wobbled around. when i stopped and tried to put the kick stand down, it wouldnt go all the way down because the tire was on its way down. i stood up, put the kick stand down, then looked at the tire, and it was ALMOST flat. there was a car tire shop right across the street, so i limped the bike over to it, and as i got to the bay door, the tire WAS flat, so it really wasent ridden on, only walked about 100 yards from where i noticed it going down to where it was down.

i put some air in it, and tried to use some "bead sealer" around the steel stem after i loosened up the hold down nut, but it didnt work. it still leaked air.

the tiny nail was directly in the center of the tire and was only the size of a carpet tack, which the tire by the way is a 130/90/16 kenda kruz tire. i only put the tube in it to hold off on buying a new tire till next month, but theres really no reason that this brand new tube should have gone flat after only 3 days of riding.

right now, im on my way over to the tire shop to take the rear wheel off and pull the tube out and see whats wrong with it. if the stem is no good, i'll put a small vulcanized patch where the carpet tac was, bring the bike home and let it sit till i can get it back to the bike shop on tuesday and let them replace the tube or do what ever is needed to do to fix it.

thanks for your advice, i'll talk to the tire shop about putting a boot in it and/or a small patch inside the tire.

thanks guys,

stuart.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I take the tire off the wheel and install a tubeless plug/patch from the inside as long as the puncture is in the tread and not in the side wall for tubeless tire repair.

Edit, I also to replace the valve stem on tubeless tires, if needed. Buy them here:

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=632_695_696&products_id=111

Purchased the 1/8" plug/patch at NAPA:

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7101144_0282385704&An=0

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=tire+plug+patch&Nao=0&Nty=1&N=0&Ntk=Keyword

·
Registered
43 Posts
A tire that has a tube in it will not seal at the valve stem area where it protrudes from the wheel, so if the tube itself has a hole in it at any point, the air is going to come out around the valve no matter what, but that isn't the leak point.You need to take the tube out of the tire and inflate it seperately if you want to find the leak point.

Sounds to me like the tube might have been pinched during install, and it may have let go at that point. It is always possible that there was some contamination that was not cleaned out of the tire prior to intsallation of the tube which could have worked a hole in the tube from the inside while riding. Another poosibility is that the tire could have picked up a very tiny nail/metal bit/ etc that initially caused the flat, but went unoticed and is still in the tire and pricked the tube as well.

Bottom line is you can't reliably check a tubed tire for leak location while still mounted...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your right tirebob:

i took the tire off the wheel, removed the tube, filled it with air, and it had about 12 holes in it. but i dont understand, it stayed inflated from thursday to saturday, THEN went flat. wouldnt it stand to reason with that many holes in the tube it would have went flat within the first half hour or so insted of waiting 2 or 3 days?

we ran our hands around the inside of the tire and didnt feel anything sticking thru the inside of the tire. the bike shop showed me what looked to be a carpet tap they removed from the tire before they put the tube in. i DID notice that when the tire shop guy and i took the wheel apart, it didnt look to me like the bike shop did a very good job of cleaning the inside of the wheel, infact, it felt like there were a few "burs" in the center of the wheel where the tube sits. that COULD have caused multipule holes in the tube.

the tire shop mechanic and i put in a new tubless tire valve stem and 4 different patches, and its STILL leaking air, but very very slowly. it held up enough to get me the 15 miles home. it still has air in it, but i cant check it right now because it will be hot, and im sure you know you cant check a tire when its hot, it'll read at least 4 pounds higher than if it was cold. im gonna let it sit overnight and check it first thing in the morning, then on tuesday when the bike shop opens, im gonna take the bike to them and make them fix it right this time, and demand that they reimburse me the money i had to spend to have it fixed again, and this time im not gonna let it out of my sight. i want to SEE them working on it.

it cost me $52.00 to have the bike shop put the tube in it this past thursday, and just cost me ANOTHER $85.00 with labor today to RE-fix it, so im a little pissed right now.

gentlemen, i want to thank all of you for your input on this, i really do apprecate it.

keep the shinny side up and the road off your........well, you know lol.

thank you very much,

stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2

·
Registered
851 Posts
Buy the rear tire, you already spent $52.00 on a dead horse. The new tire will solve everything and be safe for years to come. Charge it, it will still be cheaper in the medium run.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good morning gentlemen:

50gary, let me explain this to you. the purchase of the tube was supposed to be a "temporary fix". i had plans to buy a new tire next month.

last week i had to replace the front brake pads, rotors, and master cylinder on my wife's car, the week before that, we had to take one of our 2 cats to the vet's, the week before that, we had to take our OTHER cat to the vet's, and the week before THAT, i bought a new FRONT tire for the bike. now, being on fixed income, everything cant be done at once, so its been quite an expencive month for us here.

next month we sign new morgage papers to buy the house we are currently renting, so next month isnt going to be much cheaper, but i still have plans on getting a new BACK tire no matter what.

when the bike shop opens tomorrow, i am taking this bike to them, and they either replace the tube at no cost and give me back the $85.00 i spent yesterday to re-fix it, OR they give me a new tire and install it FREE. those are the 2 options i am going to give them.

END OF STORY.

STUART.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.