1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front - 100/90-19

Rear - 120/90-18

Those sound correct for a 1979?

I have seen numerous other sizes being used, and I want to make sure I get the correct size the first time.

*Edit* I had the tires sized switched around.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Front - 120/90-18

Rear - 100/90-19

Those sound correct for a 1979?

I have seen numerous other sizes being used, and I want to make sure I get the correct size the first time.

For what bike?

What color is your rear rim?

And No.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The 100/90 is the front tire for the deluxe at least, but I think it's that same for all the bikes.  The rear tire is either an 18 or 16 incher.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like you first need to check the rim sizes themselves to be sure. Look around the front rim for markings and somewhere it will say J19x blah blah. Same with the rear rim, it will state somewhere either J18 x blah blah or J16x blah blah

So you will need a 100/90-19 front with either a 120/90-18 or 130/90-16 rear tyre size dependant upon what you have

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you first need to check the rim sizes themselves to be sure. Look around the front rim for markings and somewhere it will say J19x blah blah. Same with the rear rim, it will state somewhere either J18 x blah blah or J16x blah blah

So you will need a 100/90-19 front with either a 120/90-18 or 130/90-16 rear tyre size dependant upon what you have

The bike has 100/90-19 on the Front and 120/90-18 on the Rear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i had one on the rear of my fz6. it seemed to wear well and gave me an ok amount of miles. overall, i think they're good tires.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
I used to run Shinkos on the GoldWing until I had one that went bad within a couple of weeks (felt like it threw a belt) and the replacement did the same thing in less than 20 Km.

After that I changed to Kendas. I really liked the feel of their Kruz tires for 2 wheel use but they didn't work for me after I added the sidecar so I changed to something more blocky (Duro HF308 front & sidecar, Kings on rear, all narrower than stock).

Lots of people buy the widest tires they can cram into the space available. They do tend to last a bit longer, but remember that narrower tires lean into turns more easily and on 2 wheels that means sharper handling.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Lots of people buy the widest tires they can cram into the space available. They do tend to last a bit longer, but remember that narrower tires lean into turns more easily and on 2 wheels that means sharper handling.

Ditto.I run a budget,"Cougar" rear 18" 100/90,

https://www.feked.com/shop/index.php?productID=1515

And cosmetically it doesn't look as cool as the wider looking square profile Dunlop K70 on my other CX but the bike has never handled as well in corners.The tyres seems to be wearing well.I can't wait for the Dunlop to be worn down enough for me to replace with another one of these budget tyres.As the spare bike is a knock-about bike I may give into vanity and get a 120/90 18" just for the hell of it knowing it may not handle as well.

As another member pointed out on the previous forum the,"Budget" tyres of today are most likely way better made than the,"Brand" tyres of yesteryear and these are not high spec sport machines.

My 10 penn'th.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
As another member pointed out on the previous forum the,"Budget" tyres of today are most likely way better made than the,"Brand" tyres of yesteryear and these are not high spec sport machines.
Absolutely.

I have been saying for a long time that one of the main differences between inexpensive tires and higher priced brands is how far they will take you and unless you are going to wear them out within 5 years you should not waste your money. Tires more than 5 years old (no matter what the brand) are not safe to use. If you spend a lot on them and they still have more than half of their tread 5 years later it will be harder to convince yourself to throw them out, but if you buy less expensive ones and they are worn out in 2 or 3 years you will be much happier about replacing them.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It's,"Sod's Law" as well.I've had Avons/Continentals/Dunlops on the rears and by far the best overall and in the rain(Best test IMHO) have been these budget ones.I cannot speak for other Budget brand but anyone from the UK check out Feked.com,

http://www.feked.com/

and even if you are not from the UK it's worth a look as we are all ,"Gear-heads" really and it's like looking in a tool catalogue knowing full well you will never buy/use some of the tools but would still like to own them<BFG>

We are not as far from the trees as we think we are

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've used the Kenda K657 tires on the rear of my 78. I use 120/90-18 (don't think a 130 would fit). I get about 6000 miles out of them each season. Bike Bandit has them at a pretty good price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts