Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi how are you all hope everything is going well i picked up a screw on my cx-650 custom rear wheel and had a patch put in it from the inside by a motor cycle shop i go to near by is it safe to ride with a patch or not thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would just order a new tire, patches have a possiblity to fold over and then your tire will go flat.

If done correctly i'm sure they are ok but these are wide like a car tire.

If it was me i'd probably just buy another tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It is ok to ride on a patched tire but there are a lot of people that prefer not to.

The real answer should be are your tires under 5 years old and safe. If they are older than 5 consider replacement. If you are just doing screw around work and restoring the bike and plan to put low miles on it then I wouldn't worry as when you figure out when the bike is near done you should mount new tires.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It is ok to ride on a patched tire but there are a lot of people that prefer not to.

The real answer should be are your tires under 5 years old and safe. If they are older than 5 consider replacement. If you are just doing screw around work and restoring the bike and plan to put low miles on it then I wouldn't worry as when you figure out when the bike is near done you should mount new tires.

Just figure on not testing the redline in 4th & 5th. There is nothing quite like a blowout going fast.

If it is plugged, make sure it is the mushroom shaped plug so it can't come back out the way it came in.

Then replace the tire as soon as you can afford a new tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been on both sides of this. I sold a tire with 300 miles on it that picked up a nail. I've patched my GL1200 tire and will ride that once the head gasket is replaced. In both cases I used a plug/patch from the inside to repair the tire. See the link for a plug/patch. Metzeler says that patching a tire brings the speed rating down to 85 mph. That could just be for liability purposes, I don't know. If it's always in the back of my mind that the tire might blow at any time, then it's not worth the price of a tire, and I'll replace it.

If the link doesn't work, just google motorcycle plug patch. I bought mine at a local farm supply store.

My link

1 - 5 of 5 Posts