Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes there are many threads about tires, but nothing recent shows in the search results. The GLi needs tires and I’m curious as to what you all think. It had Dunlop 404s now, which haven’t lasted all that long. Michelin Commander 2s are popular, as are numerous others. Splitting my time between 3 bikes, I’d hope to get at least 2 seasons out of a set. The 404s are shot and they don’t have 2 seasons on them. The Goldwing gets expensive tires, looking for something cheaper here, maybe.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wore out two sets of Shinko Tourmasters this last spring. I was not happy at all with how fast they wore out. Granted they got excellent traction. I am now running the Michelin Commander 2’s and they are holding up better than I had hoped for. I highly recommend them and definitely worth the little extra cost.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Commanders a bit spendier than I hoped to, but I haven't seen a poor review on them yet. I'll most likely go that route. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Bike tires, how can you recommend one unless you have had them ? How many of us have had several different ones on the same bike enough to judge the difference ? As for cars and trucks, I only use Michelin Defenders, so I will say Michelin is best. However, I have Pirellis on several bikes and like those. Google "motorcycle tire reviews" .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over the years I've had many tires, Metzler 880, Dunlop Cruisemax, E2, E3, E4, Kenda Big Blocks, etc. etc. None of which were bad, just different wear characteristics and vastly different prices. I just figured the people here would have a little more insight into old bikes and tires. The last time I had something of this vintage was a '79 Yamaha XS650 Special 20+ years ago. Yes, I can do a generic Google search, but those reviews wouldn't be as trusted as here.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I'm surprised the D404s didn't last for you. I've gotten great wear through two sets, now, though I chose them for the high load rating. I intend to replace them in the fall, and I'm open to others, if they spec well.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Had the 404s on the Silverwing ,okay new didn't last long enough. Much happyier with the Michelin Commander 2s and have gone farther than the 404s and still look new and handle like new.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I am not experienced enough or put enough miles on them to know. I have Shinkos on the GL500 and Commander IIs on the GL650 at David's advice.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Fwiw I’ve had a set of Dunlop American elites on this season and they’ve been great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to second no limits, I just put the second set of Shinko Tour masters on my gl500, 8500 miles on the Last set

1 - 14 of 14 Posts