Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've heard some on here talk about" Kenda" tires before.

So how are they holding up? Has it been a good buy.

Now that I'm on a fixed income I've got to watch my pennies.

I need to replace the rear on my GL as I have worn out the Dunlap that was on there.

I got about 8,000 out of it, but I'd like to start the year off with good rubber!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Another tire that has a good reputation here is the Bridgestone S-11. Motorcycle Superstore had them last fall for around $70, and I think free shipping if you purchased over $75. I got the front and rear for my CX for $124 delivered to the door.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
X2 on the Brigestone S-11 Spitfires. great traction. doubt it will last 8000 miles, but i bet 4-5000 would be reasonable. and they grip really good in the rain too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all. If you can get them in the USA I'd recommend Hi Max C907 produced by the Chinese maker Chen Shin. In the UK these are marketed by Maxxis. Being on a modest income I fitted these and have ridden daily since Christmas in some pretty awful weather.

This is the second time I've fitted this make of tyre. The first was on a GS850. They suite the CX so completely I can confidently deck the pegs and centre stand! they are supposed to wear well too. Not sure about this yet as the GS melted when I commuted through the winter on it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have actual experience with the Kenda tires. When I first got the bike it had brand new Kendas front and rear on it. The rear lasted only 4000 miles, then I put another one on that REALLY wore out after only 4000 miles.

I've since switched to the Bridgestone S-11 Spitfires front and back....love the feel, only a few hundred miles on them so far.

But no I wouldn't go back to Kendas myself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on Shinko 712 Rear Tire - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore.

Price was right and the reviews were very good about the tire so I'll let you know in about 8,000 miles or so!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I have actual experience with the Kenda tires. When I first got the bike it had brand new Kendas front and rear on it. The rear lasted only 4000 miles, then I put another one on that REALLY wore out after only 4000 miles.

How was the gripping and traction? Personally, I will sacrifice longevity for traction, especially in the rain.

From my personal experience, Avons were the longest lasting tire I've ever had on the CX, almost 15k miles before I needed to replace it. Traction...acceptable but a bit dangerous in the twisties when it rained. Best tires (both automotive and bike) for grip and rain have been Dunlop D's, although they didn't last anywhere near as long as the Avons.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I'm a pretty timid rider overall, and don't usually press the issue if I can avoid it. But I have always had great endurance with my Dunlop 404's. Only had two sets, the second put on last spring. When I got the bike 8 1/2 years ago, it had just barely over 7k on the clock, and I replaced the tires first thing after I got it. Last springs' change over came at right about 22k. That's pretty damn good, 15k, and the tread on the rear was really still pretty serviceable as was the front. Main reason I replaced was because of the age cracks barely starting to show up on the sidewalls. I'm at just over 26k now, and they still look fresh, and stick great. Rain riding has always been a pretty good feel for grip, but like I said, I never push the issue in that situation.

Funny thing was each time I needed to get tires, those Dunlops were on sale.....never more than $150 for the pair.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm running Kenda K657 Challengers on my CB650SC and have run Cheng Shin Hi-Max C906/C907s on my CX500.

I think I like the Kendas a hair more than the Cheng Shins, but in interests of full disclosure I'm too busy wearing out Shinko 705s on the CX now to ride the CB650SC and haven't seen a reason to go back to street tires on the CX.

I think I'll get a set of Kenda K760s next.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Funny thing was each time I needed to get tires, those Dunlops were on sale.....never more than $150 for the pair.

Coincidentally....
last week, before this subject came up, I ordered a set of DunFlops from Motorcycle Superstore for the GL, on SALE.

D404 Metric Cruiser Rear Tire

Size- 130/90H-16

SKU#96782 $70.99

D404 Metric Cruiser Front Tire

100/90H-19

SKU#96796 $61.99

Grand Total:

$132.98

With Free Shipping.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How was the gripping and traction? Personally, I will sacrifice longevity for traction, especially in the rain.

From my personal experience, Avons were the longest lasting tire I've ever had on the CX, almost 15k miles before I needed to replace it. Traction...acceptable but a bit dangerous in the twisties when it rained. Best tires (both automotive and bike) for grip and rain have been Dunlop D's, although they didn't last anywhere near as long as the Avons.

I too will sacrifice tire longevity for traction. Usually it goes hand in hand....softer tire with more adhesion but

shorter lifespan. BTW where is our tire guru "Inweldingwetrust"? He should pipe in with the experts advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Someone else asked about him a bit ago too.....don't know. Something about issues? Hope he is well.

That's about what I paid in stock plus 15 each installed, Cobram.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Inweldingwetrust was riding CX's when they were in the testing phase, IIRC he was a test pilot for Honda or some such at the time. He has been MIA from the list for a while.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Someone else asked about him a bit ago too.....don't know. Something about issues? Hope he is well.

That's about what I paid in stock plus 15 each installed, Cobram.

He got divorced from what I hear was a pretty young marriage. If I recall right he moved from the UK over to Michigan to be with her and back in maybe november sold his bike and moved back.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have Kenda Challengers on both of our bikes. They perform just fine for us but I can't speak to mileage just yet as I have only been riding the GL for 2 seasons and my wife for 1 season. So far we are very happy with them.

Stubby

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.