Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first tire pressure gauge (a digital one from Canadian Tire) and went out to the garage to check the rubber.

16.5 psi on the front (Bridgestone Spitfire 11F)

35.5 psi on the back (Bridgestone Spitfire 11R)

I went and checked the Haynes manual and it said 28 psi.

I then checked the web and found a thread on Global CX saying the numbers should be much higher than that (old tire technology vs. new tire technology).

The bike is cold (haven't ridden in a couple of days - my boots are being repaired) and on the centre stand.

Can someone with similar tires and bike (keeping in mind that I am 155 lbs.) recommend a good "average", "normal" pressure that I should be keeping in my tires?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I treat the book/on bike sticker values as minimum tire pressures. Maximum is stated on the tires' sidewall. Looks like Bridgestone says the same in a letter in This Thread.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I tend to fill it to near max pressure on the tire, ignore the book numbers. Your front tire is very low no matter how you look at it, I think the spitfires are max around 35, mine right now are about 32 both front and rear.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I run at the book recommended pressures ish and all my tyres wear at the correct rate.The only exception is the fatter rear 120/18" I had on which I increased to 32 Ftlbs e.g same as running with a passenger.

Next time you are down at a decent motorcycle shop you can always confirm with them as they usually have a chart/book for them.Slight over pressure is better than under pressure for MPG.Tyres with low pressures will gobble up the fuel big time on a bike.The pressure marked on the side of the tyres is a maximum,not a target

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I treat the book/on bike sticker values as minimum tire pressures. Maximum is stated on the tires' sidewall. Looks like Bridgestone says the same in a letter in This Thread.

Yup. That was the thread I first looked in. I thought that all of the responses were just opinions - I didn't realize that one of them was a response from the manufacturer.

I tend to fill it to near max pressure on the tire, ignore the book numbers. Your front tire is very low no matter how you look at it, I think the spitfires are max around 35, mine right now are about 32 both front and rear.

My Spitfires show a max of 41 psi. I just filled them to 32 front and 36 rear. I can't believe I was running the front that LOW! I look forward to the ride and mileage of the fully-filled tires.

Thanks to all of you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.