Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea on the expected lifetime of the timing chain on the 650TC ?
And is there a way to inspect it with the motor build in- as for the natural breathers ?

Cheers

·
Registered
235 Posts
The stator always dies first... replace the chain whenever you replace the stator and you're good for life (of the stator).

Reactions: elrodicater

·
Registered
511 Posts
SO here is some data for reference. I have owned my 500TC since new and meticulously changed oil and filter. At 14.5k, I pulled it down to do the stator. Per Oshoshan's comment above, I installed a new chain and guides. I measured the slack with the tensioner fully retracted both before and after. You can see in the pictures, the chain and new guides reduced the slack by 5mm. The tensioner has about twice that amount of serviceable travel I am guestimating. Money well spent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The stator always dies first... replace the chain whenever you replace the stator and you're good for life (of the stator).
Not necessarily, I'm still on my original stator (although it is waning) but have done a few chains already.

There's a lot of needles money spending on this forum. Would you replace your chain if still had 2/3 adjustment 'just because' ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not necessarily, I'm still on my original stator (although it is waning) but have done a few chains already.
There's a lot of needles money spending on this forum. Would you replace your chain if still had 2/3 adjustment 'just because' ?
Taking the engine off on the Turbos is a lot of work (min 10 hours if not much more). I wouldn't want to do it more often than I need to.
If the cost difference between "replacing every time" and "replacing only when needed" is $150 over a period of 10 years, and the difference is work time is 30 hours - I'd gladly pay the $ and save the hours. Don't get me wrong - I like working on my Turbo, but I like riding it more... :)

Reactions: elrodicater

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry! Didn't realise it was a turbo. Unfortunately the costs here in the UK are far greater than $150 over 10 years... Of course it also depends on how much mileage you do- and i'd be willing to bet that most people don't often change a stator more than once.

CXPHREAK- NA?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I did my TI unit on my eurosport, when I did my chain at around 55,000 miles. It was literally breaking up.
New coils too, around the same time. Runs great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts