Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this great forum, and in the middle of GL500 cafe build. Just 2 quick questions (probably dumb Q's)

I'm replacing the stator (just because it's an old 81 GL500) and am concluding that the 3 wires in the stator plug are not really critical in the position in the plug. They can basically go in any arrangement on the 3 pin plug?

Timing. I'm pulling the flywheel to replace the cam chain/guide/tensioner. Will there be any procedure to reassembly with the flywheel on the shaft? I will try and put it on as close to original position as possible for balancing. With the ignition pulse assembly, it should go on only one way with the 'keyed' position right.

These may sound like silly questions, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something painfully oblivious.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. If you would add your location to your profile, there may be someone close willing to help out too. And neither question you posed is stupid.

Depending on how many miles you have on the stator would lead me into whether to replace it or not when you have it opened up. If the bike has less than 25,000 miles and the stator still looked a light to medium brown color, I would just go with it. But sometimes prevention is the wise course if you are planning on any long jaunts.

It doesn't matter which of the 3 yellows are hooked to one another. They are just different phases of the alternator output. Just use the arrangement that works best for you.

On the flywheel, it is keyed to the crankshaft with a woodruff key. So you cannot position it at the wrong spot. That isn't to say that when replacing the cam chain, that you can't get the valves out of time. There are plenty of posts that show the proper orientation of the shaft key and the bolts holding the cam gear on. Just do a little search of the forum, or it is also in the manual.

The advancer/pulse assembly can actually go back two different ways on your bike. The pin on the advancer goes into the smaller slot on the rear of the flywheel. Get it backwards and you will be 180 degrees out of time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, perfect. That's what I could see, but wanted to make sure. Thanks. My old stator is still good, according to my meter, but it is also dark brown, and could pose a problem with my luck after I close everything up. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.