Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I have been wanting to build a cafe racer for many years. It goes back to around 1993 when I was living in Ohio and saw a BSA running down the street. So finally last November I bought a 79 CX500D. Shortly after I found this site and you all have been very helpful. Anyway, I just got back from getting the safety test done, and now I feel she is ready to be let out into the public. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

The night I brought her home.

The tear down.

The mock-up

Ready to put all the parts back together

The rolling chasis

Another mock up, if you look closely you will see 2008 CBR600rr handlebar controls. yep, I rewired the whole thing!

Chopped front fender

Lucky for me my twin brother can paint.

Ready for the matte clear coat

Put together and ready for the first "official" ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Pretty nice build. I must say I'm not all that big of a cafe' style kind of guy, but that looks good........except, I don't get too wild about the pipe wrap. Where did you put the battery?

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You did a nice clean job. I like the choice of color and the layout.

Another request though. Would you mind telling us where you got the knee pad rubber?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty nice build. I must say I'm not all that big of a cafe' style kind of guy, but that looks good........except, I don't get too wild about the pipe wrap. Where did you put the battery?

Ya, I was worried about to much wrap too, but, I thought it looked better than the Harley EPA stamp on the pipe. The battery is under the seat cowl.

awesome work. love the paint and stripes, is that titanium exhaust wrap? That looks way cool. The whole thing turned out great.

Yep, Titanium. One piece of advise about exhaust wrap. The stainless steel zip ties you buy with it, you get 8 - 8" ties for 15-16 bucks. Go to Home Depot to the electrical isle. you will find packs of 10-11" for less than 5 bucks. Same stuff just different packaging. I found them 1 day too late!

Welcome to the forum. You did a nice clean job. I like the choice of color and the layout.

Another request though. Would you mind telling us where you got the knee pad rubber?

I got it from www.techspec-usa.com . I got the Gripster general sheet kit in snakeskin. My brother and I made the pattern, turned out better than I hoped for.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
I'm sure someone will want to know more about the battery. Very small and light weight looking. Can you tell us more about that too. You've done a very nice job planning this project out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks great--like the titanium wrap, ive got the same thing on mine--have you used the silicon spray? is it necessary?

Also how are you liking the battery, I bought one myself but I havnt got it in the mail yet---

oh and nice jeeps-Ive got 6 speed -lifted liberty with intake and exhaust--wish I could get a rubicon someday though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure someone will want to know more about the battery. Very small and light weight looking. Can you tell us more about that too. You've done a very nice job planning this project out.

I got it from here, www.testsycl.com. They had great communication! I sent an email asking a few questions, he replied at 8:00pm and on top of that gave 10% off, which more than paid for shipping!

Looks great--like the titanium wrap, ive got the same thing on mine--have you used the silicon spray? is it necessary?

Also how are you liking the battery, I bought one myself but I havnt got it in the mail yet---

oh and nice jeeps-Ive got 6 speed -lifted liberty with intake and exhaust--wish I could get a rubicon someday though

I didn't use the spray. I soaked it over night and then put it on, went very easy. The first few times I ran the bike it smoked alot but that is normal. It harded up a little and looks sweet.

The battery is amazing! I would recommend it 100% So tiny and fires the bike up!

I love Jeeps! I am 3 hours from Moab, Utah and go there all the time. The orange Rubicon is mine and the green Sahara is my twin brothers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
U dont happen to know a matthew windam do u? Hes right near moab i believe....looks like some great land out there, luv to go sometime..

Yeah i wrapped after i soaked and im lovin it so far but someone told me i ahould protect them with the spray but i figure that all the moisture would evap. Away while running the bike...hmmmm still not sure on that one?!?

And again nice jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.