Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Hard to believe another bunch of months have just flown by again. I'm still a member here - hope to see some of the regulars as I browse what's new. Hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, I remember the screen name and it has been a while, try and poke your head in more often.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undoubtedly there will be a bunch of people who will recognize me. I use to participate quite regularly before the forum format change....but life happened about the same time for me, and I don't seem to have a lot of opportunity to log in.

Still own the '82 GL500 and my '81 CX500. Both have been ultra-reliable, and things are quite "boring" in that reguard. Re-focused my attention to my customized 1985 Fiero early spring. New tires and complete new custom exhaust has made this road-worthy once again, but now she's bleeding oil. Always an adventure with that beast... :)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I liked the old avatar.

I remember you, but you may not remember me cause I changed my user name when I registered on the new forum,,,you may recognize my avatar though.

Welcome back,,

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I remember. Good to hear you're still riding just fine and not using crash/highway bars the way they were/wern't intended.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha - hit a raccoon 2 years ago, and everyone remembers. Just too darn bad they were Markland guards - haven't found another set since. I have a pair of rusty Hondaline guards now - which are best suited for the bike. When I'm feeling rich, I might get them rechromed.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
We had a discussion once on the old forum about insurance prices. I suggested you try TD Insurance(which is actually Primmum).

You inquired about a price from them and they told you that they would not insure a bike over 30 years old.

"I meant to mention that T.D./Primmum insurance wouldn't be a wise choice overall. Not because of cost, but they warned me up-front that they only insure bikes up to 30 years of age. Existing customers with vintage bikes will be shopping around like I had to do..."

This spring I changed my insurance from my 81CX to my 80CX,,I asked if that would be a problem since the bike was over 30 years old,,they said no, but because the registration number was not a 17 digit number I would have to fax or email them a copy of the registration. Their computer set up did not include the older type numbers.

So if you are still paying more for insurance than Primmum quoted you, it might not hurt to look into again. Unless maybe they have a different policy in Ontario than other provinces or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recall the insurance topic. There aren't a lot of choices when insuring these vintage bikes. My insurance is due by June 12, and I hope to make a few calls next week. Tired of the rate being jacked up for no good reason...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I recall the insurance topic. There aren't a lot of choices when insuring these vintage bikes. My insurance is due by June 12, and I hope to make a few calls next week. Tired of the rate being jacked up for no good reason...

If you have several policies on vehicles and property, you can go the umbrella route. I finally got around to it this year, opted for the bottom rung on the individual policies with an umbrella to cover it all. My motorcycle policy went down $25, I paid $135 last year, this year it's down to $110, for more than double the mandated liability coverage + the umbrella coverage which works out to a cost of about $50 per insured vehicle/property. Cheap for a million bucks worth of coverage, there's a certain peace in knowing you can phudge up that bad and still get to keep your stuff, and your sanity.

YMMV of course, as each state sets it's insurance rules and rates.

Edit: I noticed after posting that you're in Canada, non of this applies, as you guys get screwed royally on your insurance rates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you did, Bandit! I saw one of those threads and responded. :)

Cobram: We Canadians really get hosed when it comes to insurance. My insurance company I have for my cars doesn't handle vintage motorcycles. So no umbrella policy there. Even if it were that way, Canadians (or at least those of us in Ontario) pay full rate on each and every vehicle. I'm one driver/rider and own four vehicles that are insured year-round. I SHOULD only be paying full-rate for the most expensive vehicle to insure, and only peanuts for the remainder....but that's not how it works up here.

Ooops! I now see your edit. :) Yes, we get screwed well....although my insurance rates are very good considering I know of people paying more for one vehicle than I do for 4...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Undoubtedly there will be a bunch of people who will recognize me. I use to participate quite regularly before the forum format change....but life happened about the same time for me, and I don't seem to have a lot of opportunity to log in.

Still own the '82 GL500 and my '81 CX500. Both have been ultra-reliable, and things are quite "boring" in that reguard. Re-focused my attention to my customized 1985 Fiero early spring. New tires and complete new custom exhaust has made this road-worthy once again, but now she's bleeding oil. Always an adventure with that beast... :)
Tell me about it, I've been in the hospital again, as of yesterday it will be two weeks in which is probably the longest continuous stay time in the record of the illness I started battling early last year.

If that Fiero has the factory engine in it plug something else in, a favorite has always been the L67 Supercharged 3.8L and they've been out enough years that the salvage yards are going to full of good engines in wrecked bodies. Properly maintained and, if modded, properly done these should be good for 300K miles. You should be able to grab one with the matched 4T65E-HD tranny, PCM & BCM for less than $500. There will also be tons of help on the Fiero sites about swapping this engine in, popular since you get V-8 power from a far lighter V-6 that has room to modify into whatever you want. I think there's several Fieros running these that can run the 1/4 in the mid 10s range but there's really no reason to modify one that heavily as even stock they're killer engines.

Stock is 240 HP / 280 lb*ft of torque, mine last dynoed 320 HP / 350 lb*ft at the wheels. Another $1K would have put me at 375/400. I'd of course have to tweak the PCM programming again and it gets tricky once you've gone over 10 lbs of boost unless you don't mind going to one of the few places around here that has a race gas pump and then blending 107 or 117 with plain premium pump gas. Probably be easier to change the programming such that it would run off E85 but I'd be in a heck of a mess if caught out of town and could only find plain premium gasoline. As mine currently sits it's optimized for 95 octane but will run as low as 91 bare minimum. If I'm on a long highway trip 93 octane is ideal as far as mpg goes, I've been able to get 36 or more cruising at 80 mph through Texas on a consistent basis. I really wish I had the time, money, experience and a place to do all the body work and bring it back on the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Fiero received an old-school 305 c.i.d. V8 back in 1993. It's a "mild" upgrade having roughly 300hp, coupled to the factory 5-speed Isuzu gearbox. Would love to mate it to the G6 6-speed but those are costly. Since my V8 is carburated, I avoided the hassles and pitfalls of tweaking any computer. It's not the fastest Fiero, or car, around....but it's fun to drive because most people expect to leave a Fiero in the dust. :)

I use to be a frequent contributor to Pennock's Fiero Forum many years ago. However, I got tired with the holier-than-thou attitude that was kicking around at the time from it's regulars, and I stopped logging on. In the last 5 years I've been there maybe 3 or 4 times. My alias there is the same as it is here.

Good luck with your recovery! I just had dental surgery (nothing major) and won't be able to eat "real" food for weeks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I ran into a similar insurance problem on my van some years back, not enough #s in the VIN for a 1978. They kept insisting I wasn't reading the right number, finally had to drive it over to them so they could see for themselves. A few phone calls later and they were now educated.

Reminds me, I need to sell that van, I haven't used it in years. I'd love to see someone buy it that was going to leave it intact but chances are they'll take the 400 small block Chevy engine and make a dirt track racer engine out of it. They commonly bore them 0.030 oversize allowing them to run as a 406 ci or they destroke them with the crank from a 350 making them into a 377 ci that's yet another class of dirt track race cars.

Then again unless you really need the use of a 1 ton van to haul 14 people or a bunch of heavy stuff it's kind of useless as it only get 10 mpg city, perhaps 14 mpg highway but what do you expect with an 850 CFM Rochester carb? Oddly enough these numbers seem to apply whether it's empty or loaded with 8,000 lbs of cargo. It can haul more than 8,000 lbs but you've got to go to the other width of 16.5" tires which are like pulling teeth to buy anymore, most would just put 16" wheels on the thing.

I had no insurance problems with Providian on the bike. I currently don't have it insured as it isn't officially back on the road and I'm with Geico now who said there wouldn't be a penalty for going without for a while. Whether their computers will accept the oddball VIN I guess we'll find out as soon as I can get it painted and back on the road. $99 for full coverage but the max they'll pay if it's totaled is the blue book value of $900, better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My Fiero received an old-school 305 c.i.d. V8 back in 1993. It's a "mild" upgrade having roughly 300hp, coupled to the factory 5-speed Isuzu gearbox. Would love to mate it to the G6 6-speed but those are costly. Since my V8 is carburated, I avoided the hassles and pitfalls of tweaking any computer. It's not the fastest Fiero, or car, around....but it's fun to drive because most people expect to leave a Fiero in the dust. :)

I use to be a frequent contributor to Pennock's Fiero Forum many years ago. However, I got tired with the holier-than-thou attitude that was kicking around at the time from it's regulars, and I stopped logging on. In the last 5 years I've been there maybe 3 or 4 times. My alias there is the same as it is here.

Good luck with your recovery! I just had dental surgery (nothing major) and won't be able to eat "real" food for weeks.
Oh, I had some dental along with all this, they had to pull all my teeth and wait for my gums to heal back over before they could start the radiation treatments on my throat.

Nothing wrong with a 305, odd how you can stuff almost anything into a Fiero and people certainly have tried about everything. We had one around here that had a Cadillac Northstar combo, how they crammed it all in there is a good question as that engine + tranny is quite large.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch! Thankfully my dental surgery was nowhere near as involved. Just some fix-up. :)

The 305 is just as good as the 350, uses most of the same parts, and are very easy to find. I've seen the Northstar transplant before, and read about it. There's a lot of computer tweaking that has to take place, and a lot of teething problems to overcome. When I took my car to the odd show in town, there was a guy with a newly-swapped Northstar engine in his. Looked all fancy, very clean, but didn't run as good as my old-school set-up. Mine sounded better, too. To each their own. I like the SBC set-up for the simple fact that if anything ever happened to my engine, I could easily source any size of SBC engine from a wide time period, and it will bolt right into what I have now.

There are many different conversions for the Fiero. I've heard of (but not seen) people put in diesel engines, and even a Ford 302. Some conversions require you to mess with different lengths of driveshafts, etc. It can become a nightmare. The old-school chevy swap allows for the original driveshafts and transmission to be used....making it easier to service down the road without having to remember what you did. Makes it easier for future owners, too. :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, parts and modification parts are a dime a dozen for a 305 as well.

Until several years ago the Northstar was pretty much limited to the stock 400 HP, now they've got bolt on & minor in stuff (cams, rockers) that can get one to 600 easily.

500 HP is easy on a 305, 600 is harder and past the point of safety on the crank.

One thing I do like are the advances in turbo technology in the past handful of years, they've got some now that can be bolted as far down as right in front of the cat and still respond perfectly fine with very little lag. Don't you know I've been tempted? The biggest problem would be routing up to the intake, that LQ1 was shoehorned into that small engine bay. Changing the power steering pressure hose or even simply the alternator is a "drop the engine cradle and partially disassemble the front suspension" operation, both of which I had to do last year one week after another. PS hose went, got it fixed. Next week I lost the alternator. Nobody will touch this engine except for the dealer and even they grumble having to work on one.

It's timing belt time, another major operation. There's a timing chain that does the 2:1 reduction from the crank to a small balance shaft off of which is the belt which routes over more idler pulleys, tensioners and camshaft sprockets than I'd care to count.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Oh, you liked the bull sharpening his horns? So did I....I'll get 'er back. :)

Good to see you're still around, and that you still have the sig. Not sure how many other's are in my age bracket but I grew up on Bug's Bunny and Elmer and Yosemite Sam, that bull if I recall was fighting somebody, maybe Bug's?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried replying a week ago, and the message didn't make it. So, I'll try it again. :)

Really don't want, or need, to hit 500 horsepower with my V8 Fiero. I will argue that 500 horsepower would make the Fiero almost undriveable. My aim, one day, is to have around 400hp. Lots of performance parts available for the small block chevy engines, and lots of options to explore. I like the old technology simply because it works, and the engine is super-easy to work on and obtain parts for. The Fiero has enough problems without introducing more "bugs" to it. ;-)

As for the Bull - yes, he was fighting Bugs Bunny in "Bully for Bugs". I scoured the internet for my buddy, because he wanted the bull. You can find almost all of the other Looney Tune characters, but the bull is suspiciously absent. Anyway, without permission I hunted down a good-quality version of the episode, and captured a bunch of images from the cartoon. I forget who added the raccoon to the image, but it was done as a joke after my wipe-out two years ago when I encountered the beast. Looney Tunes were the best....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.