Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjTZg7zqOnU[/media]

I've owned the bike for a little under a month. This noise seems to be getting louder. I was thinking it was valves, but I've noticed recently that it is greatly diminished when the clutch lever is pulled. Would I be correct in chasing down the clutch? Is there an adjustment that is out or do I have a worn part?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well you can elliminate the adjustment issue to rule that out, as there IS an adjustment for the clutch. You can find it in the manual for setting "free play" and if you dont have one you can pull one from this site. I know mine rattled a lot when I first got the bike and the clutch cable was so loose it almost stayed in gear with it pulled all the way in. Once you have it adjusted as they state, you can see if the problem goes away or if you need to dig deeper.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Mine does that to and have heard others say that their clutch is a little noisy as well. Works great, just a little rattle. Sucks we loose our oil to pop the clutch basket out or I would have done it already. Might just have to dig in and do it now so that I can answer this one since we share the same slight irritation. First guess is that the springs are beyond service limit, or the bolts on those springs worked a little loose. I havent done an oil change since a triple bypass, so I could kill a few birds with this stone.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'll be watching this thread. Having just finished the cam chain and tensioner replacement my bike runs much more quietly now and I can hear everything else that rattles and squeaks. I just noticed the same noise - on mine its kind of a "ticking" that goes away when I pull in the clutch lever. Not sure how worried to be yet.

Fib

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Carefully clean the oil drain area and drain into a clean container, then you can reuse the oil. My clutch too has that sound, but I don't like standing on my head to work on it. I replaced the springs already, so that is not the problem. And I did not feel any roughness on the tangs or basket. Maybe I need to recheck with more sensitive fingers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So, I opened mine up again this AM and went through every part of the clutch and found nothing, no burrs, no excessive wear.

When you take yours apart pay attention to the orientation of the belville washer and the special "nut" on removal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. The PO replaced the clutch discs within the last year I believe. I should be due for an oil change in about a month. I will check his work then.

Boulder, was yours still making the noise when you put it back together?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Something sounds loose alright! Shep's link is a good start. I would check the simple stuff first (cable play minimum at the lever; the orientation of the clutch actuator lever on the side of the front housing-it may not be engaging the mushroom shaped part inside that pushes the clutch plates) Then drain oil and pull cover to check the bolt tightness. Since the P.O. replaced the clutch, you may want to check it over to make sure the plates are in the correct lineup and no burrs. Check that the castle style nut it tight; I made from an old socket the custom tool to remove and to re-torque the nut with a torque wrench.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I thought it sounded better, but my helmet was off and I was not behind the fairing which both tend to change sounds.

I did flip over some of the plates, unintentionally, but ? if that made a change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the gasket & oil filter yesterday (along with brake caliper seals) from the dealer. Am I correct in assuming I can ride the bike like this for 500-1000 miles without causing any damage?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.