Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long and short of it is why do the TI ignition cx500's (or gl500's) have 45 degrees for ignition advance over the 37 of the CDI bikes?. The only information i have seen is that Raesan advanced the timing on a eurosport somewhere to 42 degrees but nothing else. I have a 1980 deluxe with rae-sans hall pickup and an ignitech along with Murrays carbs and ideally I'd like to run a bit more timing if it will a. not ping itself to death and b. actually return an improvement in torque/efficiency. Exhaust is not standard and or optimised so it could be a pipe dream but even if it would help with mpg I'd be interested. Cheers for any and all help in advance,
Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Murray, as I mentioned I have an ignitech getting crank position from raesan's hall effect sensor (I'm not using his timing advancer unit). As per the raesan manual the limit is still 37 degrees btdc even with your carbs. The difference is how early the advance comes on. I can adjust the timing in the ignitech to whatever I'd like but what I'm interested in knowing is if there's anything that would preclude me from running the 45 degrees of the Ti gl500 seeing as that also it listed (motofaction sourced info) as requiring the same fuel? Interestingly, the power ratings are all the same across all the 500's despite difference ignition advance.
Tony

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am very curious about this. I put a cx500 motor in my gl500 with the back engine cover from the gl500 and associated ignition parts installed. I was told the motors were the same except for the breathers on the heads. My bike runs great so I don’t intend to change anything. My motor doesn’t ping and I run regular unleaded all the time except late fall when I run non-ethynol so it stores better over the winter.

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
The thingys ignition runs both stock CDI pickups and hall effect. I can switch from one to the other with jumpers.

The stock pulsers give stock baseline. From there the curve is set by the raesan at 37 degrees full advance. I mostly run from the stock pulsers. They give a smoother idle due to the hall stagger from magnetic distortion from the rotor.

But I do have the halls baseline set + 2 degrees which would take full advance to 39. It runs OK but higher octane fuel makes me feel more comfortable with that.

Doing this effectively gives me 8 possible advance curves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts