Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to buy the bike showed in my introduction post but she has a problem that I can’t figure out.

The first time I saw the bike, I made clear to the guy that I wanted to crank it while cold. I did that and the bike fired right after with choke. Checked compression, 161 while not very warmed up. Went for a ride and all was good only 1 or 2 briefly and intermittently power losses when riding.
Took the bike with me to home. Fired it up ok.

The next morning, fired the bike with no problems, without choke, warmed up, but the bike didn’t maintein iddle without some gaz. Went outside for 3 or 4 hours, and after I started to fired the bike but, untill today, without success

Took the carbs out cleaned and remonted. No changes. Fuel ok, spark ok. Took the multimeter and made the tests with the help of these gigantic forum and the oder references cited here.

The bike is a TI ignition system and what I found was a faulty REC/REG (failed ont the continuity tests), a fractured 30 amp main fuse and voltage on the green wires at either of the ignition module connectors.

I already ordered a reg/rec and I’m about to do the change on the main fuse with the blade type cited here.

Am I doing right and is these REG/REC important for the bike to start?

thanks in advance

joaquim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it can be i would also dismount the igniters and look and see if the potting compound in the back of them has been melted

a poor reg-rectifier can supply over voltage and cook them
I will check it.
thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I looked the potting compound and it looks ok.
I changed the old fuse by the automotive blade style. Charged the battery, checked the green wires voltage and it was ok, no voltage.
Pull the choke and the bike fired up instantly. I needed to pull the gaz a bit otherwise the bike will die.
After 3 or 4 times dying ant starting and reving, the bike never fired upagain.
When hitting the start button, I heard some slipping around the right side of the engine for 2 or 3 times, maybe the starter motor...and then just the cranking, no more noise or slipping.

I will await for the reg/rec to continue.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
When hitting the start button, I heard some slipping around the right side of the engine for 2 or 3 times, maybe the starter motor...and then just the cranking, no more noise or slipping.
That sounds like the starter clutch to me....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More news:

Removed starter motor. Bench tested and ok. Tested on the bike wiht cables and ok. Cables from battery, solenoid, etc...ok. Put the finger inside the.starter motor and the gear only moved one side, not the other.
Mounted starter motor, removed and replugged some connectors. Full battery. Hit the starter button and the bike started with some choke and died. Restarted ok and died.
Restarted adjusting choke and gaz, iddled 30 seconds untill I noticed that the bike runned only in one cylinder. Left exhaust hot and not he left.

So, for today I did checked some things, and tomorrow will continue with checking plugs, wires, coils.

Some progress is made.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More news:

Removed starter motor. Bench tested and ok. Tested on the bike wiht cables and ok. Cables from battery, solenoid, etc...ok. Put the finger inside the.starter motor and the gear only moved one side, not the other.
Mounted starter motor, removed and replugged some connectors. Full battery. Hit the starter button and the bike started with some choke and died. Restarted ok and died.
Restarted adjusting choke and gaz, iddled 30 seconds untill I noticed that the bike runned only in one cylinder. Left exhaust hot and not he left.

So, for today I did checked some things, and tomorrow will continue with checking plugs, wires, coils.

Some progress is made.

Thanks
And eventually one more time the carbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update relatively at this not start situation.

I did test the coils and wires and spark plug caps.
For primary resistance both coils connectors are within range. The secondary resistance got nothing (plugged one lead to connector and other lead to the coil, as shown in the factory manual) but no readings for both ?? Only 1.
Wires for spark plug caps ok but one spark plug cap showed no resistance. Opened it and, I don’t know why, I tested the small screw that retain the resistor and rod, and it showed no readings. I cleaned it, mounted, put everything together and the bike fired up instantly, iddled with choke good, and both cylinders.

Nonetheless, as soon as the bike warmed up and with no choke the bike died. Even after, with choke or no choke the bike wouldn’t start unless with a bith of starter fluid but immediately after the bike died.

Now, I’am more inclined with a fuel delivery and or a leak in the boots. I did cleaned the carbs but maybe it wasn‘t done correctly.

any suggestion about the 2nd coil resistance readings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts