Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i started the bike up and got it to warm up. it idles right where i want it to but even with the slightest twist of the throttle climbed and stayed there. i'm assuming that either means i got a vacuum leak from hell or my throttle cable is sticking. one of the casings on the throttle cable is damaged and has been damaged since i got the bike but i don't know if its the reason for this problem. any way i can test which it is?

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Have you tried removing the cables from the carbs to see if they drag? I would start there.

Next see if there's a grease or crud build up under the throttle grip that's making it drag on the handle bar itself. Make sure it's clean and dry even inside the plastic grip.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heres a chronology of what i have done. if you see anything that can cause dragging please point it out. some time ago i lost the little retaining clips that hold the control tight to the bars. i corrected this by wrapping the bar with tape til i got the thickness to hold the switch and throttle cable housing in place but not so much that it caused the housings to buldge and not seal over. incidently i have lost the engine stop switch and the starter switch on the same switch. i relocated the start switch and bypassed the stop switch. like an idiot i wanted to black out the bars so i painted them. once i put the controls back on they wouldn't turn at all. i pulled the control back off and cleaned all the paint off with a scotchbrite and 800 grit. i put the grip back on but did not grease it or anything like that. without the cables attached the grip spins freely, at least it did last time i tried it. the cable that would be called "pull" has a break in the sheathing right at the bottom of the adjustment nut. i propped it up and wrapped it to keep the cable from being exposed. when i get home i was going to pull the cables off the bars, start the motor and pull on the pull cable by hand to see if its the bars, the cables or the motor. i'm betting its the motor but i don't know how to fix that.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while i'm on the topic of throttle cables, whatst the criteria to have a single cable system? I understand the throttle tube will have a different configuration and i'm sure the housing will be different. is there anything special about the carb. that i should know?

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Your fix is very difficult to picture. I'm not sure what "clips" your referring to. But it's sounding like you should get a new/used throttle assembly and replace it. I'm sure you could pick one up with the cable on it from eBay pretty cheap. You have enough issues with the assembly right now to warrant replacing all of it.

You can pull the push cable off the carb without having to change the inner sleeve of the throttle. Many guys have done it with no ill effects.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was trying to look in the microfische to explain what i mean by clips but they are not pictured. on the switch on the inside there are little pieces of pot metal that fit into grooves in the plastic. they grip onto part of the bars to keep the plastic housing from just sliding over the bars. i don't plan on hooking my kill switch or my start switch back up to their original locations and i will be removing the push cable and probably replacing the pull cable so i might just get or make a new cover for the throttle cable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts