Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this event is pissing me off to no extent. I have all my throttle cables exactly where there were before I started. For some reason, the plastic sleeve (controling the throttle) isn't springing back when on the bar. I've tried everything, WD-40, grease, lube, sanding, cleaning, etc. WTF? any suggestions?

·
Registered
100 Posts
this event is pissing me off to no extent. I have all my throttle cables exactly where there were before I started. For some reason, the plastic sleeve (controling the throttle) isn't springing back when on the bar. I've tried everything, WD-40, grease, lube, sanding, cleaning, etc. WTF? any suggestions?

I'm not quite clear as to what's happening. Are you saying that the cables are connected back up to the carbs and the throttle grip, on the handlebars, isn't returning, so you twist it and it doesn't spring back?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes. the sleeve (plastic) and throttle cables, carbs, springs, etc are fine. Everything works great.

EXCEPT

when I slide the throttle control over the handle bar. the plastic sleeve seems too tight and jams up (doesn't spring and return to normal position, gets stuck)

there are also no bends, dings, etc in the bars. I've been sanding the inside of the sleeve/tube, hoping to make more room..

·
Registered
100 Posts
yes. the sleeve (plastic) and throttle cables, carbs, springs, etc are fine. Everything works great.

EXCEPT

when I slide the throttle control over the handle bar. the plastic sleeve seems too tight and jams up (doesn't spring and return to normal position, gets stuck)

there are also no bends, dings, etc in the bars. I've been sanding the inside of the sleeve/tube, hoping to make more room..

Is this the same sleeve and grip you took off? It sounds like it is and it was working before it came off?

·
Registered
967 Posts
are you putting on new bars? new bars = larger diameter?

had another thought...is it possible that you are sliding the grips on too far and the end of the bar is contacting/bottoming out on the end of the grip?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope. same bars. seems like the sleeve is somehow cocked and at a small angle when in the throttle control. If the throttle control and sleeve are 1/2 way onto the bar (sticking out a few inches) it works fine. only when slid ALL the way in to the brake control do I have this issue.

I've checked the sleeve. by itself, it fits smoothly over the bar, even spins it's so smooth.

check the sleeve in the throttle control. Springs quickly back to it's original position (check this up near where it going to be installed for position purposes)

only when slid all the way in, it sticks.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have, yes. only to clean any debris inside there. but they are back exactly where they started. can a bad spring on the carb be the cause? I am going to take pics now...
no,a carb spring going south at the same time as you clean your cables.no way....there is another reason

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
no,a carb spring going south at the same time as you clean your cables.no way....there is another reason
you will have to work backwards.disconnect the carbs,play the cables........to and fro....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
should there be a little play (left to right) where the lip of the sleeve fits inside the throttle control?

Seems like there is. I don't think the sleeve is worn down or warped. I think if I continue to sand the hell out of the inside of the sleeve AND the handlebar, I should be ok.

·
Registered
100 Posts
should there be a little play (left to right) where the lip of the sleeve fits inside the throttle control?

Seems like there is. I don't think the sleeve is worn down or warped. I think if I continue to sand the hell out of the inside of the sleeve AND the handlebar, I should be ok.

It's not a job I'm familiar with but in my experience, if it was working, then dismantled and it's not working, then in theory it should work again when "mantled". Something has happened to change a condition. Did you have to force the grip off or anything? I would not try sanding stuff down until I'd tried to work out what's changed. I've been in this situation lots before, so I'm not trying to put you down, just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, the sanding worked a little. I know it's a bad idea, and bad practice... but the basic functionality of the throttle control remains the same. I don't think I have stock handlebars on the bike. And who knows, they might have not worked perfectly before taking this all apart (was a few months ago) Seems like the more I pull the throttle back and forward, it's getting a little looser. I think I'll have my kid open/close the throttle a million times for $5, and the problem will be solved

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, the sanding worked a little. I know it's a bad idea, and bad practice... but the basic functionality of the throttle control remains the same. I don't think I have stock handlebars on the bike. And who knows, they might have not worked perfectly before taking this all apart (was a few months ago) Seems like the more I pull the throttle back and forward, it's getting a little looser. I think I'll have my kid open/close the throttle a million times for $5, and the problem will be solved

Have you tried some kind of lubricant, silicon grease or even candle wax? Candle wax is my lubricant of choice for several jobs. Or graphite, rub a pencil on a file or abrasive paper, rub the dust in and hey presto! then get the kid to do the job!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a simular problem. Only way got it to resolve was to disconnect the cables from the carbs and carefully reroute the cables back through the bike to match the diagram in the manual and that of all things that fixed it. it seems very sensitive as to how the cables are routed and which one is on top or bottom. May not help but worked for me.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, Larry rebuilt the carbs - so I know for a fact the problem's not at the carbs. I will oil up the throttle cables near the carbs, I have a little WD-40 between the bar and sleeve right now. The more I sand the inside of the sleeve, the better it snaps back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the same issue. I am coming to the conclusion that my cables are two long for my drag bar and causing it to bind. If I leave the throttle assembly on the bars it doesn't return if I pull the throttle assembly off the bars and stretch out the cables it returns.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.