• Throttle rocker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take the hardcore route and holds on until hand goes numb

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm still researching and would like all of your input that travel long distances.

I've had both and definitely the rocker is nice but you cannot take your right hand off to let it hang and flex your shoulder a bit. Also the throttle rocker slightly affected my slow speed stuff such as running around in tight spaces like a parking lot.....I'd always feel uncomfortable about the inadvertent slight pressure on the rocker that would apply gas when you didn't want to as you're wheeling around cars and such. Don't get me wrong, after a week of the rocker I was used to it and I liked it but 1) you can't turn it off and the lock can....2) the rocker doesn't allow for your right hand to ever come off .....3) lock is an on/off thing so you have more control w/o having this thing on the twist grip forcing you to hold your hand in difficult positions as you wheel and push around a tight space.

Throttle rocker however is super cheap about $10, it goes on in 5 seconds and really does a nice job or letting you relax the right hand while plowing down the hwy. Just my opinion but definitely give either a try....I would hate not having some sort of throttle assist.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Vista Cruise.

I don't use it all the time but it helps when I need it. When I am accelerating from 0-60 or maybe more you know that around 60 your wrist is twisted like a knot. I then lock the throttle for a second to reposition my hand and then unlock it.

Or when i'm riding and I need to give my hand a rest I can lock it and move my hand around for a while and put it back in the go position.

Unless you're on a flat road it won't hold speed. Even gentle rolling hills will throw of your 55mph cruise to 50 and 60mph.

If you're really concerned get both since they aren't really that expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1 It was on my bike when I bought it. 2 See above, taking hand(s) off, simple on off usage.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Vista Cruise without a doubt. I found the throttle rocker unsafe in parking lots. If I hadn't gotten on the clutch fast I'd have run into cars, buildings, anything in the way. Just a slight movement of your right hand produced a big movement on the throttle.... generally when you wanted it the least.

Throttle rockers are great on the road but you have to survive the parking lot to get to the road.

The Vista Cruise has no vices that I can see. It allows me to let go of the throttle for extended periods pretty much whenever I want. You just need to keep an eye on your speed because the balance point for a flat section isn't going to be the same as on a hill and your speed can vary.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've never had a throttle rocker, but it seems that my vistacruise will do everything that the throttle rocker will and more. But I guess I won't knock it until I've tried it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For long rides I use both. The throttle rocker can be taken off for short rides around town, and goes on in a few seconds for long rides.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Throttle locks work great. Wouldn't go long distance without one. Can text my missus while riding, have a smoke, take photos, eat my lunch..........

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I use both. They are both on the bike all the time. The Vista Cruise I use occasionally, while I use the Cramp Buster all the time.

I use a Cramp Buster instead of a Throttle Rocker. I have both and the cramp buster is vastly superior to the throttle rocker. No Velcro strap to do and undo. It can be easily rotated out of the way when in parking lots or in heavy slow traffic, and then rotated back into position when underway. It's position can be fine tuned to suit traffic conditions and speed. Rotate clockwise and it slips to adjust position, rotate counter clockwise and it grips. I like to cover my front brake lever while riding and the cramp buster is the best accessory I have on the bike giving me pinpoint throttle control without having to grip the throttle. I control the throttle with the heel of my hand. My hand used to fall asleep constantly and the cramp buster cured that. I just wish I had not ridden all those miles without one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use both on all 3 bikes for the same reasons Softie does. Best way for a long trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought the vista cruise and have it on my Magna. My buddy gave me a throttle rocker that he had laying around, so I threw it on too.

I will now get both for my Silverwing too. Having the 2 of them covers all situations. ( Never had a problem in parking lots with the throttle rocker, but I usually feather the clutch in slow tight turns anyway)

My $.02

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've used both and found that the rocker given time always slipped no matter how much it was tightened. maybe mine was a cheapie but I ended up throwing it away. The vista is the only way to go in my book. you can set it and let go if you want or slightly adjust it while it's in use without disabling it. Sometimes I give my waves right handed which ain't the normal protocol but it's nice to free up the right paw from time to time. Vista is the way to go. Rockers make you go slow, slow slow.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've used both and found that the rocker given time always slipped no matter how much it was tightened. maybe mine was a cheapie but I ended up throwing it away. The vista is the only way to go in my book. you can set it and let go if you want or slightly adjust it while it's in use without disabling it. Sometimes I give my waves right handed which ain't the normal protocol but it's nice to free up the right paw from time to time. Vista is the way to go. Rockers make you go slow, slow slow.

I find I use my Vista Cruise now and then to rest my arm, stretch etc, but trying to use it as a cruise control necessitates nearly constant adjustments to the throttle for hills and traffic and wind etc.. The vista actually wore through the plastic throttle sleeve on my bike because I used it in that manner. After replacing the white plastic throttle sleeve I sought another solution and bought a throttle rocker, the one with the Velcro strap. Dangerous and troublesome IMHO. Then I got the Cramp Buster and it works well for me along with the Vista. BTW, I don't go slow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one of each. There was a throttle lock on the GL650I when I bought it. I never thought I'd like it, but I tend to use it more all the time. I had an item similar to a throttle rocker on my CB550F in 1976. I was looking for something like it when I saw the throttle rocker. But I cannot use it on the distal part of the grip, I don't seem to be able to control it well. I moved it to the other end. Now it works much better using my thumb on the throttle rocker when I'm in town or in traffic.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had a throttle lock on my touring bike for some time now and I wouldn't be without it for highway riding.

I think it's too dangerous to use it for urban riding, but I needed some help because of the pain I'm suffering due to an injury.

A couple of days ago I bought and fitted a Cramp Buster which works beautifully, so now I'll use both.

The good thing is that the Cramp Buster is easily removed to put on another bike when I feel like a change.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Throttle locks work great. Wouldn't go long distance without one. Can text my missus while riding, have a smoke, take photos, eat my lunch..........

Must get one myself Bear, It would make using my Breville sandwich toaster so much easier.............

I fancy a couple of those Vista cruises for my bikes

I know some guys here with them and think they had to get them from the US as I dont see any on UK Ebay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.