Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've looked around quite a bit and I can't find any answers. I'm replacing by throttle cables but I can't figure out how to reuse the housing on the handle bars. One of the two cable openings on the housing has a steal tube sticking out of it that I can't remove and on the inside of that opening is a hole too small the fit the cable end through. What am I missing here? It doesn't seem like anyone else has had an issue with this. I'm a noob so any help is appreciated!
Automotive tire Gas Toy Machine Bumper

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Finger

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,484 Posts
The bent metal pipe is part of the cable sheath.
What replacements did you get?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bent metal pipe is part of the cable sheath.
What replacements did you get?
I haven't ordered one yet. I was just going to get the OEM replacement on eBay or whatever but I wanted to figure out this stock housing thing first. If I can't get the pipe out is the housing junk? I've tried turning, pulling, turning and pulling.

·
Premium Member
12,484 Posts
It should unscrew. Normal right hand thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should unscrew. Normal right hand thread.
Thanks for the reply. It just spins freely and I cant get it to catch the threads. But even if I replace the housing with another stock one, how are you guys getting the cable end through the small hole? Is everybody just cutting the end off and then soldering it back on?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It just spins freely and I cant get it to catch the threads. But even if I replace the housing with another stock one, how are you guys getting the cable end through the small hole? Is everybody just cutting the end off and then soldering it back on?
normally the cable hole is big enough to get the knarp through. its peculiar yours is two different sizes...maybe its a CX-C thing? either way, on yours, the smaller one is for the push cable -- i would not hook it up and see if the springs on the carb are enough to return the throttle if you cannot find a proper solution. cutting and soldering the cable is a huge pain if you dont have the right cutters and the setup to melt and readd the lead knarp.

·
Premium Member
12,484 Posts
Looking closely at your photos, I don't think that's a stock throttle base. This is from a GL650. I forgot to snap the CX500 this morning, but they are similar.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
normally the cable hole is big enough to get the knarp through. its peculiar yours is two different sizes...maybe its a CX-C thing? either way, on yours, the smaller one is for the push cable -- i would not hook it up and see if the springs on the carb are enough to return the throttle if you cannot find a proper solution. cutting and soldering the cable is a huge pain if you dont have the right cutters and the setup to melt and readd the lead knarp.
Thanks for the info, that would explain a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts