Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not really know what I can add. Most of us have at least two and some have ten or more.
I have ridden probably hundred different motorcycles. my current Harley Fatboy has a windshield. It also has a backrest. Both help with Interstate driving.

I own everything from a Kawasaki Ninja to an old sidecar DNEPR. It is USSR bike that is a pile of crap, but fun to ride around town.

You just need to build up your strength for highway driving. I am 73 and ride them like I stole them. You need more seat time and a couple of different bikes for different types of riding. Some days I have the need for a crotch rocket and some days I need a slow sidecar cruise along the beach. Some days I need to cover distance and some days I need to do wheelies. One bike is just not enough.

Right now you can pick up late model bikes cheap.
i got a 2013 Harley XL1200C with only 3200 miles a month ago for $3800 dollars.
Last week my son picked up a 2015 Indian Scout for $4500 dollars. It only had 380 miles. Time to buy that second bike is now.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
A windshield makes all the difference. Being in the not-very-aerodynamic category, I had trouble sustaining highway speeds. Even a small shield like my Slipstreamer Spitfire is enough to reduce the drag.

In dealing with crosswind, you just need to learn to countersteer through it, regardless of the height and/or weight of your bike. That takes saddle time.

Randall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Right now you can pick up late model bikes cheap.
i got a 2013 Harley XL1200C with only 3200 miles a month ago for $3800 dollars.
Last week my son picked up a 2015 Indian Scout for $4500 dollars. It only had 380 miles. Time to buy that second bike is now.
Wow...those are great deals. All good advice and saddle time is likely it.

Great cases for more than one bike...I'll need a note for my wife.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So at 45 - 55 mph if I don't have a good grip on the bars there is a wobble in the front. Simply putting two hands on it makes it stop. Perhaps it would progress...I don't let go that far to find out.
After much reading here I have 2 new Dunlop 404 tires going on. Mine were old, the front older than the rear. I wonder if I was feeling that feedback at those speeds.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It’s possible new tires will fix the wobble but I would bet it’s your steering head bearings. I highly recommend replacing the old and outdated ball bearings with the tapered roller bearings. I did it to my bike this year and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay so I didn't get a CX until probably 10 bikes in. I had a TL1000S just prior to the CX. When the CX went I got a '81 GS750E. Then I got a Hyosung GT650R. Then I got a GSXR1000. Then I got a TL1000R. Then I got a Kawasaki ZR7S. And now I'm looking to build another CX500.

Not saying stick with the CX...that's entirely up to you. I can tell you every bike I sold I sold to try and find something I would be happier with. I was happy with my CX, but I haven't been happy with any bike I've owned since I sold my CX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
It’s possible new tires will fix the wobble but I would bet it’s your steering head bearings. I highly recommend replacing the old and outdated ball bearings with the tapered roller bearings. I did it to my bike this year and it made a world of difference.
The mechanic mentioned that as step 2. I'm happy to have found him. I'm just not a wrencher. I'm willing to learn but I'd fall for the left handed screw driver joke until recently.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I would first verify the correct torque on the steering stem. Of course, if it's been loose long enough, the bearings will be worn, anyway.

Randall

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Little Wing the bike does have a windshield.
A Spitfire right? I have a Slipstreamer Turbo on the GL500. I'll ride the Spitefire and decide if I want to swap the shields between the two bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Guzzi V7 has about the same hp as the CX, and weighs 60 pounds less. And it's a shaftie twin...

Charles.
I was looking at a 2014 Guzzi v7, rode it, was not impressed. Currently have a 2019 Indian Scout 60, 2013 Honda fsc Silverwing, 600 cc scooter, 1981 gl 500. Love 'em all. Paul

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey Paul,
I rode the Indian FXR’s at Daytona this year. Had a really hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground. I would try a launch and just get a big wheelie. Fun to ride with big HP for a smaller bike. Harley has nothing to compete with this bike. The Indian 60 was not bad either.
Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
Wow...those are great deals. All good advice and saddle time is likely it.

Great cases for more than one bike...I'll need a note for my wife.
This may be useful

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey Bob or anyone that knows ,
How do I print that permission form off? Damn near wet myself laughing ,cheer

21 - 36 of 36 Posts