Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider (took course in Nov) and I've been riding an 81 CX500. The bike found me, I did not find it. I'm taking it slow but I have thoughts of another bike someday. A little research now won't hurt. All my knowledge is relative to my CX. What I'm learning about myself is I'm not a speed guy. For now, i don't care if a bike is fast. I enjoy local rides around town. Maybe occasional highway. I'd like something that feels a little more stable at higher speeds than my CX. Maybe it's me as a new rider but over 50 mph I feel the wind a lot and i'm a little hesitant. Would a heavier bike or lower center of gravity make a differnce there?
I'd like to ride 2 up sometimes. Maybe some trips that are few hours...rarely. Is the handling comproised a lot a you get better at high speeds? Am I looking for the best of both worlds?

What I like about my CX. The ergonomics. I don't care to have forward controls. Not a huge thing but I like my feet under me. Engine breaking and shifting all seem a pleasure. Not sure if I'm phrasing this right but the gears seems to have range and forgiveness.

I ask here because you've ridden the only bike I have, but I'm looking outside that model. So no real bias here. I'm sure if I went to the Vulcan 900 forum..they'd say that's the bike Nor are you selling anything.

Would love some feedback.

·
Super Moderator
3,758 Posts
"over 50 mph I feel the wind a lot ". Are you referring to the head wind due to speed? If so you may find that a windshield helps. If you are referring to cross-wind, that is a question of practice. When on my GL500 in strong cross-winds, I crouch down low, that seems to help. Being relaxed helps;that comes with practice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I would second looking into getting a windshield. I got a medium sized one just to get the wind off my chest and I felt like it helped a lot. Go bigger if you want it off your head and arms too.

It doesn't hurt to look around at stuff, but I would ride your CX for a few years until you find out what kind of riding you gravitate towards the most. Like now that I have ridden 5 years I'm realizing touring and adventure riding are largely what I'm after. Of course, all that made me do is put on a windshield and then put on dual sport tires. But that's me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of the best things I did to my 81 custom was putting on the Plexifairing. Greatly improved highway riding comfort, and more relaxing. Hugh benefit is keeps me warmer, protected if caught in the rain. I like that it is clear, not a solid fairing blocking the view. If you live in cooler climate, extends riding time.
When it is going to be hot, just take it off and leave it home.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I looked at NX750s, CTX, NT700, CB500X, PC800, Royal Enfield and numerous other mid-sized hondas. I realized that my Naked GL500 was better than any of these and all I wanted was a little better MPG, a few more H.P., and a little lower revs while cruising. I figured out that a GL650 was exactly what I was looking for and went for it.. Thanks DavidInWisconsin!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's likely a matter of practice and confidence. I really like the removable windshield idea.

So in short, a lower and or heavier bike won't make a big difference?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Having owned or ridden all models of the cx/gl family , my favorites are the CX650E (eurosport) not sold to the US,and the Gl500/650 in that order. With the right tires on the eurosport it's one of best touring bikes i have owned for all around riding

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Your bike is relatively heavy for its displacement.

Standard 205 kg / 452 lbs GL 240 kg / 529 lbs Custom 202kg/445 lbs
Maybe the GL is a little lower? Is the Custom lower too? They aren't tall bikes.

Seat HeightStandard 810mm(31.9")Custom 790mm (31.1") GL 790mm (31.1")

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
I'm kind of curious what your riding gear is. I learned a long time ago that over 50 with half helmets or no helmet and no windshield put a lot of force on my head/neck. Full face helmets gave better deflection and then a full or half windshield gave a lot of protection from the wind.

The plexistar 2 windshield was a great solution although Memphis Shades makes a good windshield that has superior brackets.

When I got the Gl650i with full fairing I thought it was going to suck having that huge fairing but it cleaned a lot of things up and took the wind off me.

·
Super Moderator
3,758 Posts
It's likely a matter of practice and confidence. I really like the removable windshield idea.

Cross wind riding is best on low, heavy bikes without a lot of side profile;i.e. no bags, trunks or fairings.

·
Super Moderator
13,778 Posts
What do you mean by "after my CX500"? If you look at the signatures of most of the respondents to this thread you will see that many of us own one of these bikes plus something else or several of these bikes.
If you are looking to expand your stable and want something different it seems that the combination of a CX/GL500/650 and a GL1000/1100/1200 (4 cylinder GoldWing) like I have is pretty common. The technology is a bit different but still similar enough that a lot of the knowledge applies to both (& even the odd part is interchangeable).

BTW: You guys don't know cross winds until you have to lean across the sidecar because it feels like it is going to lift. I've only felt that a few times in over 3 decades on 3 wheels (I had to lean 2 wheelers as if I was turning a corner because a cross wind was trying to blow me into the next lane far more often) but it really gets your attention when it happens...

·
Registered
980 Posts
My next bike is concurrent with my cx,, a 86 Honda vt1100c, stock and bad to the bone,,,,;) 80hp, all kinds of advanced engineering of the time,, keeps my HD riding friends in line,, cost a grand before tires and maintenance, sweet and comfortable highway machine. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was just thinking that if I hadn't gotten into airhead BMW bikes I should or would have acquired a Honda goldwing,,, I still see older models for sale in running condition, not expensive, probably needing something but what old bike doesn't? I guess the moniker "lead wing" made me avoid them? The beemers were light, efficient, and had the European thing goin, as I was a dedicated Brit biker for years,, but they were not as simple to work on as Honda. Not too late for anything, so I'll keep my eyes open, and maybe trade the vt1100c for a gl1100 if the opportunity arises? Keep wrenchin n ridin!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Enfield is a nice bike, 6 gears, properly stodgy Brit styling, probably runs great! But affordable? Priced at 2.86 lakh,,, maybe out of my budget,,,;)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
For a next bike, perhaps a Royal Enfield interceptor 650. Great bike, affordable, and looks like a motorcycle.

I looked at the Enfield. I like the retro looks. They have less H.P. than a CX500. I decided that a 38 year old GL650 would be a more reliable machine for a third the cost.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was just thinking that if I hadn't gotten into airhead BMW bikes I should or would have acquired a Honda goldwing,,, I still see older models for sale in running condition, not expensive, probably needing something but what old bike doesn't? I guess the moniker "lead wing" made me avoid them? The beemers were light, efficient, and had the European thing goin, as I was a dedicated Brit biker for years,, but they were not as simple to work on as Honda. Not too late for anything, so I'll keep my eyes open, and maybe trade the vt1100c for a gl1100 if the opportunity arises? Keep wrenchin n ridin!
What airhead bmw’s did you have? Do you still own an airhead. I am a new airhead owner although I don’t have possession of it yet. Are you part of the airhead club and get Airmail? I’m actually purchasing my r100rt from my dad. This bike is the bike the legendary “Snowbum” fixed up for himself but ended up selling because of his deteriorating health. I am very excited to bring the bike home. Stupid Coronavirus is delaying my trip down to NM.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The old BMWs were my touring ride of choice from the late 70s til the millennium. First a 68 R60 US, then a 77 R100 RS. Coast to coast, border to border, and then some:) I did my own wrenching (mostly) and interestingly, the r60 had Mikuni carbs, with sewer pipes leading to air cleaner,,,;) mostly Hondas since then, both current bikes Honda. Good wrenching n ridin on the new airhead!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts