Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, did a quick search and nothing popped up for any of my keywords, so here we are.

I recently purchased a 1980 CX500 Deluxe that has the Vetter Windjammer Mk. IV and matching hard bags. It has around 130k on it, and being that it is my first bi-wheeled motor vehicle, and having put on maybe 200 miles, it seems to be in good running order. The tires, although still having plenty of tread depth, are starting to look a bit sun-dried. I also spent 400 on the machine, so I can afford some fresh rubber.

Now I've read all about everyone's favorite tires so far, but no one seems to have mentioned Metzlers, and from what I've read on them they offer great water shedding and grip, which I find to be attractive qualities in a potential tire that, due to my location, will probably see frequent wet weather use. I understand that they have been developed for the heavier cruisers in mind, and I was wondering if there stiffness would make for an unpleasant or unsatisfactory ride. I have decent scientific and engineering capacities, and can conjecture with the best of them, but a hypothesis is not the same as experience so maybe someone else out there has already done an initial test themselves and would be kind enough to share their data.

Other hypotheses are welcome too.

Thanks,

New Guy

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you read recent threads there was 1 about sizes this morning my

last post has a link.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Check your date codes on the tires. Should be of the following form, 1509. Translates into tire made teh 9th week of 2015. Any tire earlier than 10XX should be replaced. Its 5 years old. If you have a tire with a 3 digit date code, your on tires made before year 2000.

FWIW, I'm on a set of Michelin Commander II. Really like them for all riding situations. I also run on synthetic oil and green coolant. :eek: :p :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Only anecdotal evidence, but I had some Metzlers on my Triumph and I hated them. I could not get them to grip like I wanted in a corner, and ended up buying Michelins, which work much better. Have no experience with them in rain or wet surfaces though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have an 888 on the rear, and an 880 on the front of my Honda VT500 Shadow. (they didnt have the 888 for the front) But them Metzlers really make one feel like they are a better ride, especially in the twisties. Haven't ridden them in the rain yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your date codes on the tires. Should be of the following form, 1509. Translates into tire made teh 9th week of 2015. Any tire earlier than 10XX should be replaced. Its 5 years old. If you have a tire with a 3 digit date code, your on tires made before year 2000.
Thanks for the headsup, I'll take a peek here in a few. I know the rear is a Shinko 712.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I don't believe that is the date code.

It will appear more like an mold insert with a flash ring around it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I'll take another look then...

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
That particular 4 digit number is likely specific to that manufacturer.

2369 as a date code does not make sense. It would translate to show the tire was made in the 69th week of the year 2023. I don't think that is plausible today......or ever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the 9906 after the 712 isn't the date code?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found them, the one for the rear looked like it had almost been rubbed off, it was 4212, and the front was 2112. Side note, the rear still has most of it's little knobbie things from molding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts