Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I sold my '82 GL500i more than a month ago but I still lurk here....why, because it's so active and interesting.

I've purchased a BMW K75 with 103,000 km on it and I've been doing repairs and such but I cannot for the love of me find a site like this for my BMW. This forum providesi immediate responses with piles of good info. I've repaired and tackled things that I wouldn't have without you guys! Folks have even mailed things to me at no cost from this form.

I'll still keep lurking but I'd love if I could find a bunch of folks like you'se for my BMW but not even close so far. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Well I sold my '82 GL500i more than a month ago but I still lurk here....why, because it's so active and interesting.

I've purchased a BMW K75 with 103,000 km on it and I've been doing repairs and such but I cannot for the love of me find a site like this for my BMW. This forum providesi immediate responses with piles of good info. I've repaired and tackled things that I wouldn't have without you guys! Folks have even mailed things to me at no cost from this form.

I'll still keep lurking but I'd love if I could find a bunch of folks like you'se for my BMW but not even close so far. Thanks.

Dave

So what's the new CX/GL like?

Oh!Too soon<grin>

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,108 Posts
I cannot for the love of me find a site like this for my BMW... I'd love if I could find a bunch of folks like you'se for my BMW but not even close so far.
Get together with WayneDW, and start your own. He just sold his GL650I for a Beemer (poor guy.
;) )

R

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Get together with WayneDW, and start your own. He just sold his GL650I for a Beemer (poor guy.
;) )

R

Charles could make a special forum for BMW (Breaks in Mysterious Ways) riders who want to discuss what full ATGATT best matches the color scheme of their motorcycles, and whether people will recognise you as a BMW (Bring Many Wrenches) rider if you don't wear official BMW (Bowel Movement Wear) pants 24/7. Might make for interesting technical discussions about how long it takes the tow truck to arrive so the bike can be towed to the dealer to have the ECU reprogrammed after it shuts down because of a bad $3 sensor, for which BMW (Break My Wallet) will charge $150.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Charles could make a special forum for BMW (Breaks in Mysterious Ways) riders who want to discuss what full ATGATT best matches the color scheme of their motorcycles, and whether people will recognise you as a BMW (Bring Many Wrenches) rider if you don't wear official BMW (Bowel Movement Wear) pants 24/7. Might make for interesting technical discussions about how long it takes the tow truck to arrive so the bike can be towed to the dealer to have the ECU reprogrammed after it shuts down because of a bad $3 sensor, for which BMW (Break My Wallet) will charge $150.

OK, you guys. Let's get back to Harley bashing and leave us poor, misguided souls alone.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You just gave me the best laugh I've had for days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Funny! I might just take back the compliment I just offered in my lead post
.... yes the BMW has a few absent minded quirks...especially the splines in the shaft drive and on price point it fails , but I have to say...I've owned 10 or so bikes now and I've never seen such well built machinery with attention to detail. When I was looking at bikes this summer and I came across this old '87 BMW with 104,000km and the original owner! I looked for rust in the tank..none!! the tank is aluminum! I couldn't find a speck of rust on the headers and entire exhaust system....it's stainless steel. The original owner has done absolutely nothing to the '87 fuel injection system in over 100,000 km except the fuel pump filter... and the bike runs like a top. I've done nothing to this bike and it looks and behaves as new..... No carb balancing, float height etc...

Yes I know that the bike one presently owns tends to be the best bike in the world and I , like you, might be suffering from this but seriously I have to say that I'm quite impressed frankly with this BMW.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Funny! I might just take back the compliment I just offered in my lead post
.... yes the BMW has a few absent minded quirks...especially the splines in the shaft drive and on price point it fails , but I have to say...I've owned 10 or so bikes now and I've never seen such well built machinery with attention to detail. When I was looking at bikes this summer and I came across this old '87 BMW with 104,000km and the original owner! I looked for rust in the tank..none!! the tank is aluminum! I couldn't find a speck of rust on the headers and entire exhaust system....it's stainless steel. The original owner has done absolutely nothing to the '87 fuel injection system in over 100,000 km except the fuel pump filter... and the bike runs like a top. I've done nothing to this bike and it looks and behaves as new..... No carb balancing, float height etc...

Yes I know that the bike one presently owns tends to be the best bike in the world and I , like you, might be suffering from this but seriously I have to say that I'm quite impressed frankly with this BMW.

Astroguy, as Randall mentioned, I have done the same thing as you. My K75 is a '92 with 44k on it. I just got back from a 2,000 mile plus trip on it to Arkansas and back. The Beemer ran flawlessly and ate up the miles. But, honestly, my Silverwing would have done the same. I'm quite certain I would have had just as much fun on the 650 and it would have done just as well. I bought the K75RT specifically because it basically is the same bike as the SilverWing; a mid-sized touring motorcycle. The only thing the BMW has going for it in my mind is that it is 10 years newer and 12 thousand miles fewer. There are certain things I like better about the Honda and certain things I like better about the BMW, some of which you mentioned above. But, as I said, for the most part, it is the same motorcycle just with more electronic black boxes and a certain BMW mystique. I have to admit, I like it when people (even non-bikers) go: "oh, it's a BMW!".

I also, like you, have found some BMW related web-sites but nothing that comes close to the brotherhood here. So far, these guys continue to put up with me... BMWMOA is close but you have to be a paying member to contribute and I'm too cheap for that.

Where are you located again? Maybe we can compare notes some more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Astroguy, as Randall mentioned, I have done the same thing as you. My K75 is a '92 with 44k on it. I just got back from a 2,000 mile plus trip on it to Arkansas and back. The Beemer ran flawlessly and ate up the miles. But, honestly, my Silverwing would have done the same. I'm quite certain I would have had just as much fun on the 650 and it would have done just as well. I bought the K75RT specifically because it basically is the same bike as the SilverWing; a mid-sized touring motorcycle. The only thing the BMW has going for it in my mind is that it is 10 years newer and 12 thousand miles fewer. There are certain things I like better about the Honda and certain things I like better about the BMW, some of which you mentioned above. But, as I said, for the most part, it is the same motorcycle just with more electronic black boxes and a certain BMW mystique. I have to admit, I like it when people (even non-bikers) go: "oh, it's a BMW!".

I also, like you, have found some BMW related web-sites but nothing that comes close to the brotherhood here. So far, these guys continue to put up with me... BMWMOA is close but you have to be a paying member to contribute and I'm too cheap for that.

Where are you located again? Maybe we can compare notes some more.
Hey Wayne, I'm in Ontario Canada. Sure comparing notes would be fun....I think my email is in the system. I did love my silverwing and it actually drew alot more attention from the biker crowd whenever I parked it somewhere....I'm not kidding alot more attention. I loved the thing but she was looking a bit beat but ran beautifully, but I find the K75 smoother but not nearly as comfortable as the SilverThing. When I sold the silverwing I did want a large fairing and full luggage so that is how I ended up with the K75 T.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
For those who would like a good rally this is the BMW site to go to. The also have a forum here, but no forum I have ever looked at compares with thte friendliness and helpfulness of the CC site.

My link

If you want help with your BMW and more BMW forums try these sites.

My link

My link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.