Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any usefull comment on this color? I have pods and mac 2in1 but haven’t rejeted. I know I know. Will do it soon. This is the result of about 5 miles on highway/city drive.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
mmm.sweet,ill bet you really good...mpg

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think you’re very right. Lean=not enought gas right?
mm,to me yes,id be concerned if my plugs looked like that.hence my mpg joke,,,running on fumes.

but,with you running on pods,ill have to bow out....its an odd set up that our bikes dont like.

ill let the the guru,s chime in.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Those plugs are telling two stories. But I'm not sure which story to read first.

Yes, they are running lean. That's why only the tip of the plugs have burnt off the carbon deposits. That in itself will cause a hot spot that's hot enough to burn a piston of valve if you run it this way long enough.

The second story is that either you were running it with the choke on while it was in the garage sitting on the stand which caused the rich condition before you started riding it for the 5 miles, or one end of the system is already running too rich. I think it was the first guess though.

Without enough fuel to do a full burn in the chamber the plugs will only do a quick burn and not build up enough heat for the carbon to burn off the entire plug. Bandit is right though and so are you. You NEED to re jet it before you burn up the motor.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Those plugs are telling two stories. But I'm not sure which story to read first.

Yes, they are running lean. That's why only the tip of the plugs have burnt off the carbon deposits. That in itself will cause a hot spot that's hot enough to burn a piston of valve if you run it this way long enough.

The second story is that either you were running it with the choke on while it was in the garage sitting on the stand which caused the rich condition before you started riding it for the 5 miles, or one end of the system is already running too rich. I think it was the first guess though.

Without enough fuel to do a full burn in the chamber the plugs will only do a quick burn and not build up enough heat for the carbon to burn off the entire plug. Bandit is right though and so are you. You NEED to re jet it before you burn up the motor.
Larry,is 5 miles enough to draw mine/his and your conclusions

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Larry, I’m sure you’re right with the first story. I did run it on the choke for a minute or less before riding, but just by the way ot reacts while I’m riding, you can tell it needs more gas in there.

Thanks, I’m convinced.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Bandit, if the jets are correct for the system that's on the bike, no. In order to get a proper temperature built up it should be ridden a bit longer. Then a plug check can be read with better accuracy.

Papito, Rejet to the commonly used 90/120 and then see how it looks. I would suggest not running again until you do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.