Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always liked these bikes for many reasons.

Sounding like a ducati, looking somewhat neat, and for being a very cool all around bike for '80's.

However we rode 170 miles last weekend for a ride to the country and back. I clearly need a bigger bike because of how big i am. I'm 6'6" and there's just nothing i can do to make this little thing any bigger without expensive modifications. So once i get the side covers i'm going to paint it all the same color and probably put it up for sale at the beginning of riding season.

My GF's step mom has offered me her '05 Vstar 650 for a very tempting price with only 2700 miles on it. Plus its been covered up and parked in her garage for about a year now. No scratches, looks great, and is muchy comfier for me.

Now while its a tempting price i saw online that its hp and torque output are less than the CX. The CX isn't fast by my means which is fine but i'm not sure i want to go to something slower and heavier. Are there any other bikes that are around 3K i could pick up and be comfy on. I have another friend who is offering me his '07 Honda VTX1300 with 3K on it for 5500 with some v&h pipes and a sissy bar. Both of these are well taken care of but the VTX is HUGE.

Need an opinion

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's pretty hard to find reasonably-priced cruisers for guys your height (unless you screw around with control locations)...While that VStar 650 is "comfier" I bet your knees are up pretty high.

I have a friend exactly your size and he pretty much gave up on the cruiser market. He found out he fit best on bigger dual sports (KLR650) and "Adventure Touring" bikes (BMW GS1100). I think he wound up picking up a mid-90s GS for just under $3000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 6'4" and I find the new Triumph Bonnevilles comfortable. They're not a big bike by any means, but they've got plenty of power and I like the upright riding position. Plus, you get the look of a vintage bike with the reliability of a new bike. I've seen used ones selling for $3000-$5000 in the 2001-2003 year range.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just thinking out loud here,

What happens when you sit on the place where the two riders positions meet? My thought is, perhaps a simple seat foam cut and recover might make you a whole lot more comfortable. Obviously you can't ride it the way it is like that, but throw that sucker on the centerstand and try it out. I've seen lots of amazing seat re-imaginations on this site.

On another note, you could probably pick up a Honda Shadow Classic 750 for under 4k. Not certain about position, but the price would be right.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Not really sure what you're looking for.  For $3000 you have a lot to choose from, if you're looking at getting a cruiser you're most likely looking at something bigger and heavier and less agile than your cx.  If you want standard, you could go with a Honda 750 nighthawk, or a 700S if you want something a little older.  Even something the same displacement like the Ninja 500 might be fun, it's lighter, about the same power but faster because of low weight.  Don't know about it's riding position for you though, might be too small for what you're looking for.  Or you could go dual sport and get the KLR650, the newer one's are supposed to be pretty comfortable, and the older ones can be comfy with a change of seat and foam.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you just look on Clist you'll see that there are MANY, MANY, MANY different nice bikes for sale for $3000 and under. If you have $3000 you CAN get a nice used bike of your choosing. Crotch Rockets, standards, cruisers, tourers etc. You can get a nice bigger bike like a Vulcan or Goldwing with highway pegs already on it to stretch out those legs or perhaps a Connie is worth a shot...I hear they are ok for taller people.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a ninja 500 and its in the shed. Its fun for maybe 15 mins and then my ankles hurt.

I don't like how adventure bikes look but I have been on a klr650 and liked it.

I'm also looking for something new so bonnevilles are cool with me. I love how they look. The ninja is for the gf though. I'd love another sport bike. I really want a vfr but no idea of how comfy they are. I sat on one at my dealer and thought it rocked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and I already cut into the foam. That made it possible for my knees to not rest on the cylinders.

My only real question is what will I fit. I don't care what it is, I just want to know what will actually feel nice. Old bikes I'm done with for the moment. It would be nice to finally be able to say I have a 20xx something rather than the oldest in the group.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It would be nice to finally be able to say I have a 20xx something rather than the oldest in the group.

I'm that way with cars.... well, unless it's something like a Charger
With my bike it's a little different though- all I see are new bikes, so I kinda hold my head a litle higher knowing I have a bike as old as I am and it runs GREAT

IDK- I put a HD seat on my bike and it added 2 inches to overall driver height. I was always told that I'd be miserable with a sportster cause I'm too tall- but when I found the GL I fell in love and forgot any other bike

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
David in wisconsin has a list of bikes that fit due to size. I know he sent it to me a million times but I cant find it again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Im 6/4 and by putting different bars on the cx I can fit pretty well....but the vfr,now there is a bike,best touring bike probally ever. My mate has had one since new vfr800 last of the bevel geared ones and it really has not missed a beat and very comfy if you re cover the seat pan with good foam.

What about a Vstrom? very popular in oz and very reasonable price wise,plus they come in a 650 and 1000cc

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think vstrom's are ugly as butt lol.

Really its not the bars, its not the posistion, its my damn legs.

Unless i have some sort of a way to make them forward rather than standard it will never be comfy. And considering the front of the engine is maybe 3-4 inches more forward than where my legs are now its still aweful. I tried adding pegs to my crash bars but that didn't help at all. The bike itself just needs to be longer.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I know a guy who is 6'7" and he has a HD Road Glide Custom. I know I certainly couldn't afford a new HD- but there ARE options for you tall guys
IDK... Don't wanna see you sell the bike, but I hope you find something comfortable

·
Registered
837 Posts
I owned a Yamaha 1100 VStar and it was great. With a 31" inseam, I had no trouble reaching the road. It was heavy though. I'm not certain about the smaller engine for this bike, although a friend of a friend who had one couldn't say enough good things about it. As for my, I thought the 1100 motor was slow enough, so I can only imagine what the smaller engine would be like. I eventually lost interest as it was a cruizer look-a-like with everyone else's. Two years later I went for the Honda CX 650E. Sportier, higher reving, handles WAY better in the corners. If you're going the cruizer route, the Yamaha is probably as good a bike as you'll find.

·
Registered
397 Posts
cxlover, I know what you mean. I'm 6'4" and I can't go too many miles before my knees and ankles are starting to talk to me. In my case it's more because of my age and a bit of osteoarthritis. It's always worse in cold or damp weather. I've been looking into a lot of options. Then only good solution seems to be forward controls, but since I'm not a welder the price would be away too much. I've pretty well decided to sell my GL650 and then just keep trying on different bikes until I find one that is comfortable, and also in the $3000 or less range. Let us know if you find a comfortable ride, because if you find one to fit 6'7" it should be really comfy for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will do that. I can almost fit on gsx-r's but for whatever reason I'm not a fan of zuki's.

I love kaw's and honda's. Never had a yamaha but I know they are sound. HD's will NEVER be part of my collection. Too much money for an image and an engine that has barely changed at all in 20 years.

I know I fit perfect on a suzuki katana 750 but I don't like the air cooled full fairing bike. Just seems it would be very prone to over heating but I may get one anyway. I need my own house, if so I would add the CX to my stable.

I would have no issue selling the ninja for a katana or for a vstar.

Living in an apartment its hard to store 3 bikes.

And I'm speaking of the bubble generation of katana's

·
Registered
409 Posts
is that a custom you ride...no wonder ,I got rid of mine as I found them very uncomfortable ,even the gl500 I'm doing up at preent I have taken the bars off and replaced them with straight ones to make the riding position better.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Although apparently they've improved, back in my dirt bike days in the 70s it was the Suzuki's that kept having parts loosen and/or fall off of them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
For what it's worth I've two bikes that fit me like a glove:

Kawasaki ZX 9R (1994-1997)

Aprilia RSV / SL1000 (Falco) (2002-)

Try one of those. Even an older Tuono might suit you just right.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok have you thought of high way bars?? that way you can stretch out some and that way you can also keep the bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts