Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Things to watch for?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Trickster 
#1 ·
I'm almost a new motorcycle rider--I had a Honda 360 twin, and a Yamaha 650 Special for a few months each back when the CX650s were current. I just took the motorcycle safety course and got my motorcycle license last week, then bought 2 motorcycles. One of them is a non-running 82 Yamaha Seca 750--not quite what I was looking for, but too cheap to pass up.

The other bike is a running 1981 CX 500 Custom. The CX was one of the models I was specifically hoping to find, I've been interested in them since they were new. I've spent time on the XJbikes forum trying to learn how to resurrect the Seca, and learned a lot about it's peculiarities. I've also poked around here, but not as much since my CX is as far as I can tell ready to ride. I plan to do most of my own maintenance. Are there things about the CX I should absolutely know about, or specific posts I should read?

#2 ·
THE place to start would be to check the post maintained by Blindstich with the subject "Quick Reference."

Click Here Link to Quick Reference.

Check through and click on any titles that you have questions about. It's pretty much all there. If you still have questions (everyone does) after going through some of that info, ask away.

#8 ·
Superman renounced his American citizenship.

If you have a volt meter take it with you and check the voltage at the battery at a fast idle or around 2 to 3 thousand rpm's, it should be about 14 volts. It is an engine out job to change the stator.

Listen for a rattling noise or knocking when the bike is running ,,this could be a worn cam chain or worse. Valve clatter or ticking is fairly common and can be adjusted.

There are videos on youtube that have engine noises from cx's.

#13 ·
Tires should be good--front is new enough, and I had the rear changed before I even brought it home. It is charging well enough to let me discover that the starter will crank and crank without doing anything useful when the kill switch is off...

Lots of good stuff in that list....lots and lots. I've already fixed my choke knob based on that--makes the bike a lot easier to warm up if I don't have to stand there holding the choke knob out. I'm also checking with the local Harley dealer for mufflers--it came to me with aftermarket mufflers that are a good bit louder than I like. No other obnoxious noises from the engine, unlike the other CX I looked at. (The owner of that one was miffed that I wouldn't ride it with a bad front brake, and wouldn't buy without a test ride....)

Thanks!

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum and fraternity of "twisted twins".

Actually go to the HD dealerships in person, walk around to the service bays, find a mechanic and ask if there are

any "knock-off" mufflers kicking around. This seems more effective than phoning in my opinion.

Good luck

#15 ·
So far I've put harley cans on two of my 650 customs. Both sets were brand new even though they were several years old. Just picked up a third 650c and am goiong to do the same to it. They were cheap and went on really easily. Also found a 650c parts bike for cheap and I can't wait to start carefully tearing it apart.

#16 ·
Good to see another CX500 in the Dayton area. I live in Waynesville but work in Dayton, hope to see you around. The bike will be my main source of transportation to work once the rain stops and price of gas keeps rising. Can't wait to get out and start riding it. I took the MSF course in Beavercreek a couple years ago and the CX500 is my first motorcycle. As a first bike and being used for around town it can't be beat.

I not a mechanic and don't have a lot of tools but the information on this forum is great and easy to put into practice. I'm comfortable doing many thing that a year ago I thought I'd have to pay someone else to do. In getting mufflers I had problems getting any help from the local Harley dealers. I finally found some at the Swap Meet held in Springfield, $20 for both mufflers.

Hope to see you around,

Jon

#17 ·
I'm actually in Piqua, but figured that Dayton was close enough and wouldn't require a Google search.

How do the Harley mufflers sound? I'm hoping for something reasonably quiet, if they aren't much quieter than what I have, I won't bother.

#19 ·
Stock HD mufflers are relatively tame, and you are hooking them up 500cc, so a bit louder than stock, but by no means

offensive. I found a brand new pair on e-bay, off a FLHNPYVTRWP or whatever alphabet version of HD it was, actually it was

from their trike. $25.00 shipped, still can't believe that deal, put them on my ole GL1000, and yes sir, very very nice.

Good luck

#18 ·
I think the HD mufflers are quiet and have a nice rumble to them. Well worth the cost. I found HD mufflers for a late model Dyna SuperGlide Part #65747-94. No modifications or rejeting needed. The previous mufflers were the original Honda mufflers but the insides were rusted out and noisy.

Jon

#20 ·
Right now on the Buy and Sell forum here, there is a set of Sportster mufflers for sale $25.00 listed by "Scrap Metal"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.