Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the opening of the thermostat an all or nothing event? The reason I ask is that on my bike it starts to creep up into the thick white band and then almost immedately drops down to almost cold again, then creeps back up before starting this process all over again. Time for a new one? or is this normal?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's a somewhat slow opening and closing but it will still exhibit some of what you're describing.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Your 7volt regulator may be what's at fault causing it to fluctuate wildly. If you want to know how a thermostat works pick one up and place it in a pot on the stove as it reaches opening temperature it slowly opens and then slowly closes when it falls below the rated temp.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
is the opening of the thermostat an all or nothing event? The reason I ask is that on my bike it starts to creep up into the thick white band and then almost immedately drops down to almost cold again, then creeps back up before starting this process all over again. Time for a new one? or is this normal?

Yes that is normal.As the thermostat opens it allows the coolant to flow around the Radiator.As the coolant is usually a several degrees lower than that in the engine the engine temp will drop for a short while and then come back and level out.How much it drops or appears to drop depends on the condition of the cooling system but it is of no concern if your normal running temps whilst riding stay around the nominal mark,the thick white line.

HTH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Blindstich--I believe you replied to another post I started on the engine temp and suggested I check the voltage regulator as well. I'm still having an issue with the temp (ran about 3/4 up the gauge today) even after replacing the thermostat, flushing the coolant, and burping the system. My question is this, if the problem is with the regulator wouldn't the temp drop down by simply turning the bike off and back on after a minute? Because the way that it exhibits is a slow creep towards 3/4 stopping at the beginning of the thick line on it's way up and only a gradual increase after that. It will even go a little closer to red when I'm stopped in traffic. So if it's not the regulator and I had a good flow of coolant (watched with the radiator cap off) when it hits the thick line, what's left?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I asked this before and got no answer so I will ask again. At what temp should our thermostat open and what is a normal operating temp? At what temp should we be alarmed. I have an after market gauge so the little white line no longer applys. I need real temps in degrees C or F. I have not see over 200 F. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Normally, the thermostat will open at 180 or 186 degrees F. They are usually stamped as such. Most Auto parts stores will still carry them for the 1980ish Honda Civics and these are the same size and temp setting as our bikes.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Normally, the thermostat will open at 180 or 186 degrees F. They are usually stamped as such. Most Auto parts stores will still carry them for the 1980ish Honda Civics and these are the same size and temp setting as our bikes.

PERFECT REPLY CXSarnia. Thank you very much
I appreciate that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.