Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what you all do to protect your bike as best as possible. I rode into work today, and its in a manufacturing sector which is not the best of neighborhoods--its not "lock-n-load" bad, but I think theft might be a slight concern.

What do you all do? Locks? Cables? Kill switches? Our bikes are light enough I would think that two guys could easily load in the back of a pickup or van and just go with it.

I do understand that if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it regardless...maybe our bikes aren't even a concern or in the 'top 10' so-to-speak.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Home Depot sells a really nice coated cable lock.

It's made for ladders and is easy to coil around a sissy bar when not in use and it's only $20.

Some people like disk locks, which champ around the brake disk.

I never liked these much, too easy to forget it's on there and try to ride off. The other huge downside I see with these is that if someone does try to take it, the wheel will lock and down goes the bike, likely causing damage.

Best deterrant I've ever used was a motion alarm, a simple mechanical pendulum type is all that's needed. Only downside is that some of them are too sensative, and may go off in high winds. I haven't checked into them lately, but I bet they've gotten really sophisticated with all the cheap electronics available these days.

Truth is, that if someone wants it, they'll get it. Alarm...it's easy enough to pull the side cover and cut the battery cable. Wheel locks and cable locks, two guys or one guy with a dolly and a trailer and it's gone in less than 60 seconds. Good news is, our bikes aren't worth the effort to 99% of the low lifes out there, even a piece of rope tied around the wheel would be too much work for these losers.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Chances are if someone steals one of these bikes it will be some kid looking for a cheap thrill. Unless the bike is a special case where it has been rebuilt or customized they are probably not worth the effort for a pro thief to bother with.

A cable lock will probably deter most kids or impulse thefts.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Most of the CXs pinched here are by kids, joy riders etc for 'fun'

as there's little value in the bikes compared to something modern.

Any pro thief could probably have it away regardless of the security

but a stout chain and lock to a steel post or similar usually deters the casuals

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wonder if you can get some kind of "chip" that would track the whereabouts of the bike in the event of a theft? I think James Bond had one on his ride. With many parts of town on video security cams, park near one. Another passive method is to park in a place / manner that just makes it downright annoying and inconvenient to mess with the bike. My security? Make my "everyday" bike run like a bat outa hell and look like a loser. My "sweetheart" bike doesn't get parked anywhere I can't see her in my gun sights. That only works if you have two bikes and a carry permit.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with everything you all have said. Keep the honest-honest, and detur those out for the thrill of a joyride. Funny cause I have so much time invested, I am sorta attached

I like the cable locks. Any reason the 79's didnt come wiht a steering lock? When did these start on our series of bikes?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree with everything you all have said. Keep the honest-honest, and detur those out for the thrill of a joyride. Funny cause I have so much time invested, I am sorta attached

I like the cable locks. Any reason the 79's didnt come wiht a steering lock? When did these start on our series of bikes?

I assumed they all did. Even my '71 350 has the steering lock..

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Any reason the 79's didnt come wiht a steering lock? When did these start on our series of bikes?
I think you will find your bike has a steering lock. It is part of the ignition switch, turn the wheel all the way left or right(not sure which) and press and turn the key counter clockwise from the off position.

I think that is how it is done,, I have hardly ever used it on my bikes. I think on my 78 the handlebars had to be turned the opposite way of my 81 to lock though.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
There are GPS devices, however I have found a few things work in my favor...

When I go somewhere on my bike, I park where I can see it almost the whole time. I usually find myself parked next to a bigger, more expensive bike (and it's not intentional I just have the least expensive bike out of everyone I ride with, at $675)

The final thing? Silver/Pink flames. My bike stands out- and in a smaller area, you go somewhere and see a bike and it's usually a case of "Hey, that's so-and-so's bike"

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts

You probably don't know how to use it or someone broke your ignition. Turn the bars all the way to the left and wiggle the key over to lock. Beware though on my the damn thing doesn't like unlocking. It's just a peg that comes out of the ignition switch.

I park my bike right next to the guard shack at work and in a safe neighbor hood at home. There are better things to steal than my bike.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Wonder if you can get some kind of "chip" that would track the whereabouts of the bike in the event of a theft? I think James Bond had one on his ride. With many parts of town on video security cams, park near one. Another passive method is to park in a place / manner that just makes it downright annoying and inconvenient to mess with the bike. My security? Make my "everyday" bike run like a bat outa hell and look like a loser. My "sweetheart" bike doesn't get parked anywhere I can't see her in my gun sights. That only works if you have two bikes and a carry permit.

Heh Heh

http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/gps-pet-tracking.html

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Rick,

Like others said, turn it fully to the left, but then you need to push your key down and turn it over to the left. Same with releasing it, push the key down and then turn it back right.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use this exact one almost every time I ride. That coiled wire goes from the disc lock to the hand grip so you never forget to take it off before your ride. I've never tried to take off with it and can't really see how anyone could (if it's installed correctly). It is brightly colored and stands out like crazy on the bike, but it's small enough to throw in any little storage space on the bike. I also work on the shady side of town, but no one has ever bothered any of my bikes while one of these was on it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
on my cx i can lock my bars in both left and right locations and its an 82 i know on my old 69 yamaha it had the bars be able to lock also

·
Registered
595 Posts
Whenever I get paranoid about someone moving the bike, or potentially stealing it (I doubt that there's really that much interest in these anymore) I put it on the centerstand, put it into gear, lock the handlebars, and then hit the killswitch too for good measure. Oh, and set my (cruise control type) throttle lock, which sometimes even gets me when I'm leaving in the mornings!

Try taking your bike off of its centerstand with the handlebars locked and while it's in gear, and you'll see why I love this method. Of course, a pro thief could easily figure it out and get it onto their truck or trailer or whatever, but impulse thieves would at best knock it over. Which, admittedly, would be quite annoying, but I'd rather find my bike on its side with the gas all poured out than to not find my bike at all.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
:)I use a combination of a few things.

Centrestand - in gear - steering lock - nudged into a corner of the parking spot - so no real room to move the bike.

Big heavy duty chain wrapped through the front wheel and around the forks - with a lock that cannot be cut off.

Then finally a bike alarm - if it's touched more than twice it is immobilised....and has its own backup battery.(personal modification)..just in case the thief cuts the battery cables..

I AM NOT PARANOID.......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts