Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I really think our bikes are a much much better value than the current going price might indicate. I know many of us are daily drivers of CX GL MCs with less than a grand total investment... Mines at about 1300 or so now, and three hundred of that was to fix the lapsed registration and bonding the title. ( Louisiana DMV Stinks)

I figure the value will only go up as the price of fuel is getting prohibitively high for the typical American Gas Guzzler. Many Stations will limit a credit swipe purchase to 100 bucks. That's not a fill up for a few buddies trucks. A lot of motorboats are being dumped at fire sale prices here...

I wonder When will the CX average resale price reflect the increased demand for vehicles getting 50mpg.... I know cheap honda clone scooter sales are through the roof at about 1500 a pop.... even $5k Vespas are selling like hotcakes.

I figure my bike is worth much more than it would sell for today... when do you think the selling price of our CX will become more in line with what is an incredible value IMO
?

Discuss

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Unfortunately I think the only people who see any value in these bikes are those of us on the forum. Prices probably will go up, but only because the price of all bikes will go up, not because of their actual value.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think the largest hurdle to increasing the value of our bikes is that there will be bikes from the 90's...

They are between $1000 - $2000... most only need simple care to bring back from neglect...

...ours usually have an additional decade more of deterioration.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
What the market will bear, what's someone's willing to pay, etc. would be the boilerplate response.

It's all about the market, and that applies to everything (unless the government gets involved.)

Are these bikes "worth" $3k, $4k, $?k, well, a definite maybe. Once you get in the upper tier pricing for anything used, the choices increase, sometimes exponentially. Looking for a reliable bike in the $500-$1500 range, a bike which you would have no qualms about hopping on and riding across the country, then you're pretty much limited to the CX's and GL's. Well, based on my small knowledge of bikes in this price range, anyway.

Once you get up past that price mark, you can get relatively new, higher tech, better mileage, better handling bikes. In the $5k range, you pretty much pick your poison. Unless you're a real true believer, even I wouldn't pick our beloved CX's over an completely sorted, low mileage ST1100 that's a couple decades newer if the CX's and GL's are priced in the same upper $3k to low $5k range.

This reflects the process for "normal" people, just looking for a ride, if you participate in this particular board regularly, then likely this will not apply to you or I.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot argue with that logic.... But then again a 68 50cc Mini Trail Monkey bike will fetch double what a good CX will. Actually much more. I think the bike will one day get it's moment in the sun, the supply demand balance will shift... and prices will go up. I know I want a second one (am looking) after having mine for a year.

I also can agree with the 90's bikes being competition at their deflated prices. but then what was a "cool" 90's bike ? I don't remember anything but a bunch of competition to see who could dominate Moto GP and a lot of sportbikes... even BMW took some weird styling turns that I personally did not like.

One thing.... I believe Ours are some of the easiest bikes to work on for a non professional mechanic. That Cheap 98 GSiiiiXeR aint a lot of fun when you float a valve
nor cheap at a shop.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was just looking at the Kelly Blue Book and retail (100% condition) was only listed as $900 for a 1979 CX500 Custom.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What the market will bear, what's someone's willing to pay, etc. would be the boilerplate response.

This reflects the process for "normal" people, just looking for a ride, if you participate in this particular board regularly, then likely this will not apply to you or I.

I almost answered you without seeing your response as we were posting at the same time.... I could not agree more with the "normal" VS You or I.... LMAO
yes, I think I understand....

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I cannot argue with that logic.... But then again a 68 50cc Mini Trail Monkey bike will fetch double what a good CX will. Actually much more.

Apples to Oranges, much fewer numbers out there, and a completely different type of bike and buyer.

The early Gold Wings (unrestored and stock) seem to follow the CX and GL price trends around here, and they're pretty much flat.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
On the bright side it means most of the spares and consumables are cheap and the bikes are cheap to run.I'm quite happy to let the rest of the World overlook these little beasties

PS

You still get more bike conversations with a CX/GL that most other bikes

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
For the most part, perceived worth is subjective to the person who has the bike. I'd not expect the overall asking price to change a lot with these machines. In the case of a perfectly restored bike like Larry is doing, the dollar will be at the top end, but to the owner of said bike, the value will be much higher.

As I said elsewhere, when I saw my bike listed at $1500 firm, I got a cashiers check fast. I had not owned a bike in almost 30 years, and she jumped at me. That was 9 years ago. I have less than $600 invested in her, with parts and other items. Mostly those are general maintenance things. I got what I consider to be a very good deal.

The fun ones I see are the ones that are almost too good to be true, for little money. Take my Rampbaby's Shadow. I feel like it was also a bargain for what it is. (Post forthcoming about the maiden voyage).

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Mines pretty much priceless but for the right number maybe it could have a good home.

I saw an 83 big ASSpencade 1100 on craigslist last night with full bags, fairing, rusty chrome and no idea of when it last ran or the owner wanting to make it run for $500. Got me thinking. But I don't even think I could get it in my truck.

There was this one too. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/2341290588.html

A lot of couch there but I have been looking for one that I might make naked.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the bright side it means most of the spares and consumables are cheap and the bikes are cheap to run.I'm quite happy to let the rest of the World overlook these little beasties

PS

You still get more bike conversations with a CX/GL that most other bikes

It really is amazing when I'm at Bike nite or even just about anywhere, the CX strikes up a conversation. SHHHHH! I don't want the price to go up until I can get a good stash of spares

I'm seeing a couple Naked GL1000 builds, there are probably six or seven at the junkyard, maybe more, engines all over, xmission parts. etc. For the most part, just like us no one wants them except the rabid core of fans
... they also make a nice bobber for someone 6'7"

and as far as apples to oranges... Yes sir, it just seems way out of whack when someone will spend that kind of dough on a "Toy". A Z50 was My first bike as my dad restored one (with my help) after it was given to him by a friend... it went underwater in Hurricane Camille
. For Nostalgic Reasons, ( Lot's of great memories for sure) I'd maybe like to have another... but not 3-6 thousand dollars of "Like"
ain't going to happen even if I hit the lotto
... A collectable, I want one that I can ride and not collect dust with... I do wish I could find a photo of that bike
most of our families pics went underwater in the may flood of 1989.

I guess it's just our secret for the time being. A transportation machine with two wheels and some reliability can be realistically had for around 1000$. Everything from quality CB750s to dubious Suki Gixxers can be had for that? I've rode most at one time or another and I don't think The CX is the average 500cc bike and certainly has the oddball appeal... and I figure one day the market will value it as such. ( a collectable) I'm a rider and not a collector so It will be sad for me to see if it does happen. I think "Collecting" is pointless as you cannot take it with you...

I just hope Jay Leno never gets his hands on one
well at least until I'm ready to sell
(never)

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was looking for the bike I bought, the average price in my area was 1500-2000 for a cx/gl. When I saw mine on Kijiji for 750 I jumped at it. I have only replaced the clutch, and changed all the fluids, so now have $850 into it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It really is amazing when I'm at Bike nite or even just about anywhere, the CX strikes up a conversation. SHHHHH! I don't want the price to go up until I can get a good stash of spares.

The amount of times I've stopped and parked in a line of bikes at a bike Cafe and people walking down the line looking at bikes pass most of tehm but always stop at my CXs.

There's the two types of body language.The nod from some one who owned one or the head scratch or shrug of the unknowing but they always stop for a second or two or more

·
Registered
835 Posts
The amount of times I've stopped and parked in a line of bikes at a bike Cafe and people walking down the line looking at bikes pass most of tehm but always stop at my CXs.

There's the two types of body language.The nod from some one who owned one or the head scratch or shrug of the unknowing but they always stop for a second or two or more

Funny thing happened to me today... out for a ride, and a carload of early 20 something girls started honking and waving at me... bfg!! I'm sure they didn't realize I could be their father, but really, I think it was the bike they were giving the smiles to!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Around here there are plenty of quality motorcycles in the $1000-$2000 range. The CX/GL appeal is limited to those of

us that know them or those that are curious. As far as being "valued to what they are worth", I think they are. There are

still alot on the road because of there reliability and the abundance of parts available. My friends on the Gold Wing

forums, admire and feel the same about their bikes. So do those at most of the other forums related to my other bikes.

You have a conscious involvement with the workings of these CX/GL's, and you are in a close relationship and

understanding on how these bikes are special. This may then make it appear that they are undervalued, which to me is

great from the point of purchasing.

My 78 Gold Wing GL1000 would fetch no more than $1500 or so. It is in very good condition, needs nothing, but to me

is worth far more than that.

Maybe 15-20 years from now, when a mint version of these bikes is still around they may be worth twice what they are

now.

I am just really happy to find a decent runner for around a $1000, because I know it will always be worth that and not

depreciate anymore if looked after. Of all the bikes I have owned, I really have a soft spot for the 1975-1985 or so

Hondas.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, the Harley people all seem to like my bike, turns out many either once owned one or knew someone that did. The sheer power and reliability is what they usually remember most.

Most anything else is just a rice burner to them.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Funny thing happened to me today... out for a ride, and a carload of early 20 something girls started honking and waving at me... bfg!! I'm sure they didn't realize I could be their father, but really, I think it was the bike they were giving the smiles to!

I have had similar experiences,,

I was out riding with a couple of friends one time, they were riding far superior bikes to mine, if you were to listen to them anyway. Almost everywhere we stopped people ignored their bikes to either ask about or look at mine,,including one guy on a new BMW.

I read on here somewhere recently someone said our bikes are worth about 3 or 4 times what they were last year,,I looked but can't find the thread now. I think that may be a bit optimistic,,if it were true I would probably sell a couple off. Bikes in general should be worth more or at least hold their value though as the price of gas continues to climb.

I saw a review of the Nissan "Leaf" the other day,,it sells for about 20,000 dollars but will go 100 miles on an overnight charge. The guy they interviewed uses for daily commute and figures it add 15 dollars a month to his elec. bill.

If they made an electric motorcycle I think it would be popular.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't kept track but a rough tally comes to around 2000. For a rather rough looking motorcycle. But, it runs well, handles decently, has full dress, and if it proves reliable I'll consider it a good deal.

I've put maybe 2000 miles on it, it hasn't let me down yet. Another thousand or so and I'll start feeling confidence in it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.