Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

Let me introduce myself. I've been lurking for some while and now it is time for me to sign on & join in. I'm Bob Witte, President of The Trinity Trike here in Hudson, FL (just NW of Tampa). I've just laid my hands on a sweet 82 GL500. It will be converted into a true trike very soon using our newly developed design. It is the 5th trike I have built for myself over the last 4 years and it will hopefully stay with me for a good while. Sadly for me, it's predecessors never lasted more than a couple months in my garage before they were sold off!

This time, I selected the donor based upon my preference. And it is the ride I intend to keep. I've always had a soft spot for Honda's and the Moto Guzzi's -- so what's not to like with a GL500?? Since most of us like photos, I've posted a picture of it in it's "before" condtion on our website:

http://www.thetrinitytrike.com/cruiser/ShaftDrives/index.html

I've got a lot of ideas beyond just converting the drive system to a trike. So here's my first question. I would very much prefer a matched set of wheels with wire wheels being my preference. Does anyone know of a direct replacement (or close to it) wire wheel from another ride that will fit the GL500? TIA!!

Bob Witte

www.TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. Nice looking trikes
. Isnt a 500cc a bit small for trike conversion.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't know of any wheel that can be swapped out with the CX's... I've seen people take the center of our wheels and make them work with spoked rims somehow, or you could go with the Euro rims if you're just looking for something different

It won't work on just a non-euro, but since you have to fabricate the whole thing, then you can make it fit I'd imagine... I'm quite enthused to see how this turns out, not a huge fan of trikes, but I love these bikes and seeing what can be done to them

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know of any wheel that can be swapped out with the CX's... I've seen people take the center of our wheels and make them work with spoked rims somehow, or you could go with the Euro rims if you're just looking for something different. It won't work on just a non-euro, but since you have to fabricate the whole thing, then you can make it fit I'd imagine... I'm quite enthused to see how this turns out, not a huge fan of trikes, but I love these bikes and seeing what can be done to them.

Thanks for the guidance. I'm shooting for some kind of matched set without having to spend more on the wheels than I do on the trike conversion itself.

Mine is the first GL500 I ever rode, and it was "love at first ride" for me. I was attracted by the look of it, but the feel of the ride was even better!

As to trikes, I never thought I'd prefer trikes to two wheeling, but like so many others, that's exactly where I'm at now. I much prefer the comfort, stability & safety of the third wheel! Even though it could be months before we finish my project (my ride is a low priority of course!), I have no great desire to take the GL500 out as a two wheeler.

Bob Witte

http:/www.TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I like it. I used to own a GZ250 and never thought I would see one converted to trike. I applaud the open mindedness you obviously possess. Looking forward to your progress with the shaft drive conversion.

I do not know of any wire wheel that will fit the GL500, or why anyone would prefer wire wheels. But then I have suffered 2 tube tire blow outs at speed, (on a Moto Guzzi, BTW)... something I would really rather not experience again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it. I used to own a GZ250 and never thought I would see one converted to trike. I applaud the open mindedness you obviously possess. Looking forward to your progress with the shaft drive conversion.

I do not know of any wire wheel that will fit the GL500, or why anyone would prefer wire wheels. But then I have suffered 2 tube tire blow outs at speed, (on a Moto Guzzi, BTW)... something I would really rather not experience again.

Our GZ250 conversion works great and has been hot for us this year. So far we've built 14 of them, all going to MSF schools around the country.

Why wire?? I just like wire wheels on a bike and the wide whitewalls I plan on using look better with wire wheels IMO. Failing that I might just chrome the front and try to match it as best I can with a similar car wheel -- there are gazillions out there to choose from.

Bob Witte

http:/www.TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you just need a front wheel than that part is easy. The rear wheel is where a swap gets complicated. It can be done though with some early GL1000 wheels.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. Nice looking trikes
. Isnt a 500cc a bit small for trike conversion.
50 HP is almost a Dodge Neon, actually what takes all the power on some trikes is trying to drive large, wide automotive wheels on the rear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The donor bike has low miles for the year (only 19k) and clearly has been well cared for and very likely garaged all of it's life. Here she is in her official "before" photo:

Bob Witte

www.TheTrinityTrike.com

You`re gonna` convert that nice GL into a trike?

What a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle....

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you just need a front wheel than that part is easy. The rear wheel is where a swap gets complicated. It can be done though with some early GL1000 wheels.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
50 HP is almost a Dodge Neon, actually what takes all the power on some trikes is trying to drive large, wide automotive wheels on the rear.

True enough. That's why we DON'T use such tires on our conversions. Several of the converters use those stubby rear axles and have to make up the wheel track with John Deere type tires. I suppose to some they look cool, but the big fat tires make the trike they are on handle like a John Deere tractor which gets very old very fast.

I've already sized my replacement rear tires to be no larger than 19570R14's and very likely will be 18570R14's assuming I can find the wide whitewalls in that size.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

As it turns out, you are quite correct and thanks to the vast eBay market place, I'm able to give more of an answer to my own question about the substitution of the front wheel. I have as yet, not actually verified the information, but intend to! Searching thru there, I discovered that the following wheels apparently are a direct replacement for each other:

GL500 81-82

GL500i 81-82

GL1000i 81-82

CB650C 1981

CB750C 81-82

CB750F 80-82

CB900F 81-82

CB900C 1980

Hope this helps someone else!

Bob Witte

TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe that the CX500 wheels work just fine to, I don't usually trust the Ebay or Craigslist people, as half of them don't know what they have, saw a "cx500" tach that redlined at 6 or 7 thousand rpms, when it was supposed to be a CB500, also seen people label a CDI module for an 82 GL650, for one, the GL was always TDI, and the GL650 was ONLY in 83... If I want to check part compatibility I go to http://www.stevenscycle.com/pages/OemParts and find the part, copy the number, open a new tab or window, and click the oem part finder button, and in the top this time rather than bottom, enter Honda for brand, then paste the part number in, and it will say "fit's models". I find it hard to trust someones knowledge when I've seen so many be so inaccurate, it's ridiculous...

·
Registered
552 Posts

I BEG YOUR PARDON!! a dodge neon bone stock SOHC garbage model made 130 HP. 50hp is more like a honda civic

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
As much as I hate Civic's, even they push around 140 HP now, although the 95 was only at 70...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No accuracy meant, just a shot at trying to prove the point that you can't expect a 50 HP engine to run 16" wide Mickey Thompson slicks, too much rotational inertia and weight involved. I think even the 185 tires may be a bit of overkill, but go too small and they don't look right.

A 185 tire has a 7-1/4" cross section when mounted on the suggested rim. A big confusion often arises amid the youngsters about that width number, they tend to assume it's the tread width. The width of the rim they're mounted on can make that number vary by quite a bit and I'll assume you've seen some of those severely axed up cars that use tiny width tires on rim diameters that are much too wide for them. On top of that they often stack several wheel spacers into the mix.

Quite honestly using tires that are way off size from a car's designed rims can be dangerous and spacing them way out even more dangerous. A car's suspension was designed to have the tire in a certain position to handle the load, move them way out and you stand to start breaking suspension components. I won't even venture into those people that spend $5,000 to make their wheels hop.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I won't even venture into those people that spend $5,000 to make their wheels hop.
So cars aren't supposed to jump? Someone might want to tell people this... What about driving on 3 wheels? Are they taught to do that through the factory these days?

·
Registered
264 Posts
here is a link to a guy that turned one into a duel sprot kinda deal. as part of it he put a differnt front end on it that had spokes and then spoked the rear wheel useing the original center hub. but for yours haveing a custom rear end I don't understand why you would need gl500 specific wheels to match? My link

1 - 20 of 26 Posts