Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it would seem that the right side of my engine is running perfectly but the left side is still not going properly. It will vary from misfiring and backfiring to running fully but really weak.
I have tested my CDI box and both plugs are creating a spark. I also swapped around the Ignition coils to see if one of those were faulty, but no it was still on the left side. I have also bench adjusted the carbs to equal visual specs and turned the fuel air screws 3 turns back. Still unfortunately no luck hough :( although when I was putting them back in something caught my eye, the left inlet manifold seems to have a rubber puncture repair kit over it.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

This points evidence towards the fact that this has been an ongoing issue with the bike that the previous owner has tried to fix. Perhaps indeed the reason it was sold in the first place, as it is proving to be a persistent and irritating problem!

Although the surface seems to be relatively well patched, there seem to be fairly deep cracks running on the inside and coming into contact with the carb itself

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Do you think that this may contribute to an air leak that is causing the left cylinder to run so poorly?

Also on a side note, if anyone has an Ignitech unit going spare, please PM me as my CDI although working, is looking a bit tired

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you think that this may contribute to an air leak that is causing the left cylinder to run so poorly?
I vote yes.
Some patches work for a little while but nothing beats new.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Patch looks fair. Have the carbs been properly cleaned in the last decade or two? you can spray carb cleaner around the intake boot to check for leaks while bike is running. If no change remove the screw from the carb intake and spray again inside by passing the carbs altogether

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
David Silver has new inlets so replacement would be a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts