Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,039 Posts
My parcel had tracking but it might as well not have for all the good it was. The tracking showed it "in transit to next USPS facility" for over a month and by the time they finally updated the information it had left the facility in California where it sat for weeks and was already in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My parcel had tracking but it might as well not have for all the good it was. The tracking showed it "in transit to next USPS facility" for over a month and by the time they finally updated the information it had left the facility in California where it sat for weeks and was already in Canada.
Now that sounds like Christmas time. I had some raccoon traps lost in Ohio for almost a month with USPS. The kicker is they came from Minnesota to Milwaukee and somehow bypassed me to a deadzone in 3 days.

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
Yeah, but this was in July.
What's really annoying about mine was that when I sent the damaged item to them it was processed in Mississauga (west of Toronto), then in Chicago so it probably crossed the border at Detroit/Windsor and from there to its destination near Akron in 6 days so when they sent the replacement I expected it to take about the same.
If you were sending something from near Akron to near Toronto wouldn't you expect it to go around Lake Erie and cross the border directly into Ontario?

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
The USPS has five plants for processing international mail.

"International Service Centers (ISCs) distribute and dispatch international mail received from a designated service area to specific foreign countries or to gateway exchange offices. The five ISCs are located in New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco "

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So coming from near Akron to near Toronto it would make sense for it to be processed at Chicago, not SanFran...
Unless those spots are also airports then anything goes.

At UPS I believe we send the packages from an International hub and although I believe Milwaukee is we ship all of our air international to Louisville and I'm not really sure where the Ground Canada goes because most people don't actually send ground but I know where they pile it in my building.

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
I'd expect that Tolerdo would have an airport but you could take probably get it to the border on a truck from Akron almost as fast as you could get it to an airport. In 2 directions.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's awesome! For cleaning while winter riding, I am thinking about getting a portable sprayer (I'll dry with a leaf blower.). I wonder if one would be handy in your situation?
A portable sprayer might do. Wouldn't have been a problem if the one neighbor wasn't washing his truck in Daisy Dukes twice a week. If the sight didn't detour the apartment management water usage did.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well the exhaust flanges showed up today. Both the ones from Sweden and the back ups from Maryland that I got at a great price with fast shipping.

Then I added gas, leaked gas out the carbs and tried to kick it over just to find no spark. I got interrupted by a neighbor who needed help removing a locked up parking brake on a rav 4.

Came back and I believe the condenser that was in the bucket might be shot along with the one in the bike. When I test their resistance I get nothing. The parts are NLA and ebay wasn't helping. After I ordered one for a ct90 just to try I somehow stumbled on a listing by niche cycles and ordered 3 condensers. I'm also going to buy a better multimeter than the free harbor freight ones I have stacked up. The second set of test leads broke today so that was frustrating.

Tomorrow will be test the coil day. Maybe take apart the carb too or try a bit of tapping on the bowls but they weren't pretty when I took them off the first time.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well back to work on the bike. Parts were ordered and I don't ever play with points systems so I said ok what else could be the problem. Tracked down the kill switch tests and studied the wiring diagram. Coils tested fine so I clipped about 1/2 off the wires and screwed on the caps. Set the points and rolled the engine and we had spark. Put that stuff back together and threw the tank on. Decided I should squirt some starting fluid in the air box and made a mess.

Sunflower seeds everywhere and 2 kernels of corn. Got to use my shop vac for the first time in 2 years.

All cleaned up and a shot of starting fluid purred it over for a few seconds. I shut it off because the gas wasn't on yet and the float needle didn't seat the last time I added gas. Hooked up the tank and tapped the carb bowl and we were set. Started right up with choke. I drove it around the parking lot 3/4ths of a mile and it died on me. Plugs were wet. Dried them off adjusted the idle on the carb and off I went. It won't idle without choke at the moment but i'm now waiting on an air filter and should do a true carb rebuild.

It has been 4 weeks since I picked it up today.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well today I consulted my washing and waxing expert and she said "I don't know how to do that". So we learned together. Washed, polished, waxed the paint and followed up by 0000 steel wool on the shiny bits till it got to hot to sit outside.

The carbs off at the moment and an aftermarket one might show up later this week. But no fear I boxed up the stock one to send out to Larry. It didn't want to idle without choke but I also have the correct air filament coming so that might have played a part too.

I also found this plastic stuff on the mirror. Isn't that suppose to come off before you buy it?

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The aftermarket carb came today but it wasn't an exact fit so I added a section of chainsaw fuel/vacuum line to make a spacer. Now it idles and runs just fine. Melody likes the fact that it's quiet. I'm up to 18.5 miles now.

Today the stock carb also went off to California to visit the ultrasonic jacuzzi.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
Looking good, Don!
What carb did you choose?

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
Thanks. Maybe that's an option if the CB100 carb isn't recoverable.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Air filter showed up today and we're rich. Way rich. Wasn't going to play with it tonight so maybe i'll try to dial it in tomorrow but Melody did mention "I liked it better yesterday" when it wasn't rich.

The real struggle of today was I bought 3 home depot Husky shelving units online yesterday because they would say they're in stock and then magically they would cancel my order. Eventually one order wasn't canceled and said come get it. Pulled in the parking lot and missed a call saying there was oil spilled on the box and I could cancel if I wanted or have $25 off. Of course I bought it. What's the worst thing to happen I spill oil on this new shelving unit that will also store my oils.

It may be early but I recommend this sucker if you want a sturdy 6.5 foot wide shelf. My Porsche neighbor also has one. They're rated to hold 10,000 pounds. Almost remind me of some of the miner bunk beds i've heard of as a kid. The closest I can find is a modern picture. Look at those queen mattresses.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Adjusted the aftermarket carb today and now it's back in a safe range and out of burning your nose hairs or shooting flames out the back.

I took another short spin and i'm now at 19 miles.

And Larry got the carbs I sent him today and already shook the ewww out of the stock carb. Should be more like ooh now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just picked up a parts bike. Do you need a trunk and side luggage for that thing. I'm sure you can fabricate something to work.

·
Super Moderator
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just picked up a parts bike. Do you need a trunk and side luggage for that thing. I'm sure you can fabricate something to work.
Thanks but i'm leaving this thing as a little scoot around. Trying to keep it clean unlike everything else that turns into a pack mule.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts