Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't know what to call the bike but I was left a Cm200t when David from Wisconsin passed. Last week I picked it up and the information is unclear but this is what I know. I have seen the bike in pieces in his loft for at least 9 years and we never touched it. Just moved CX/GL bikes around it when cleaning. I talked to his niece who is in charge of his estate said that this is the story she heard. Basically someone bought the bike and failed and learning how to ride it and dumped the bike. Then never rode it again. It only has 17 miles on it and many of the parts show that may be the true story.

But someone removed the top end and it sat that way for 8 plus years.
Well I got it home.

Most of the parts came in a box and a bucket. Boy it was fun sorting that out from the fiche.

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
My second bike was a CB175 with a similar story to this.

A bloke bought it new for his daughter to ride. She dropped it a couple of times in the driveway and refused to get on it again.

The feller rode it to the pub a few times until the rego ran out.

It had about 150 miles when I bought it. It was probably about 10 years old by then.

Nice legacy from Dave you have there.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The cam chain was stuck in the engine and it wouldn't rotate any direction. I learned the starter was rusted solid on the inside which was fun.

Eventually found a manual, all the parts, it came with the two most important gaskets, I'm waiting on allen head bolts due to stripped jis heads but the side covers are on the engine.

Then I looked at the carbs. Everything is now free but yuck. The carb bowl had 1/4 inch of what looked like tar in it and there was gas rolling around looking like oil. I still need to do a finish cleaning of the carb and take some 0000 steel wool to the piston because it was fused inside and only move when pryed up with a screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also had to look in the tank but forgot to take a photo yesterday. The old gas was nasty and a mess of rust growing like moss.

One day with vinegar did a good job for the top but the bottom still has rust in it. It scrapes off easy with a screwdriver but the screws I have in there weren't doing a good job so back the vinegar went in the tank.

But first here's a picture of what came out with the first rinse.

I have Por 15 tank sealer that arrived today.

I've had the bike for 7 days so things are good but i'm waiting on header flanges from Sweden, bolts from california, kickstand and footpegs from florida, Gaskets just got here from northern wisconsin and other random stuff from china.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really not sure why I was given this bike because I could have swore he said something else before he passed but he had his reasons and I accept the challenge. Dave always liked it when Melody came along for the rides so maybe that was the reason. It is interesting learning about another bike though because i'm not very well versed with points engines or the 6 volt system but it seems to be fairly simple with a manual.

And yes David i'm using my torque wrench.

One thing I am quite surprised about is how new these tires look for being 40 years old. And yes I check the date code. They will be the last item to be replaces after everything proves to be working.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I'm SURE David is up there smiling right now at the title you gave to this, as well as the dedication your putting into getting it running!!!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
That looks like a good size for Melody. I hope you can get it back to running condition.
Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sorry to here about David! :(

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Ok so I don't know what to call the bike but I was left a Cm200t when David from Wisconsin passed. Last week I picked it up and the information is unclear but this is what I know. I have seen the bike in pieces in his loft for at least 9 years and we never touched it. Just moved CX/GL bikes around it when cleaning. I talked to his niece who is in charge of his estate said that this is the story she heard. Basically someone bought the bike and failed and learning how to ride it and dumped the bike. Then never rode it again. It only has 17 miles on it and many of the parts show that may be the true story.

But someone removed the top end and it sat that way for 8 plus years.
Well I got it home.

View attachment 209308

View attachment 209309

Most of the parts came in a box and a bucket. Boy it was fun sorting that out from the fiche.

View attachment 209310
Though the rubber rocker cover gaskets are reminiscent of CB250Ts......the valve cover finning has leanings towards older bikes in looks...I like it

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow who would have thought I would have spent the last week cleaning a motorcycle tank. The rust was worse than I thought. I ended up with 5 days of vinegar treatment that was working but these little scabs of rust in the tank wouldn't come free so I switched to Evaporust for a day which that's a pretty good product but wasn't doing the job completely. I had screws in the tank but they didn't have the oomph so yesterday I bought a 10 foot length of chain and shook it around for 10 minutes and all the rust was gone. I followed it up with 6 more hours of evaporust just to treat the under scab rust surface. And then I finally got to coating the tank. Larry always has some good pointers for me about technique and suggested sucking the excess Por 15 tank sealer out of the tank with a syringe. I used a meat injector and it didn't work. Probably needed a 12 inch metal tip to do the job so Melody suggested using a sponge on a stick which worked great. It's suppose to be some crazy heat index feel of 107 today or something so the tank is sitting in the back of my truck in the sun.

Oh and as for rust I think I ended up with at least 2 cups in a ziplock bag. Yeah Melody thinks i'm weird. I think the real tank rust problem besides the rust was the gas made some sort of varnish like tar that glued it together.

The project is coming along pretty quick but i'm still waiting on the exhaust flanges from Sweden. They might be here this week. It is kind of funny assembling this bike by the manual and parts fiche but all the parts in the bucket are used up and it seems the hardest thing to find was two M8x130 bolts which should have been at the local ace hardware or any of the other 5 stores I went to. Ended up getting them from amazon but had to rely on screwdrivers to hold the kickstand on for a few days.

Oh yeah the new allen head bolts showed up and yes because it's from Dave I torqued all those bolts to specs.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's where we sit with the tank curing and waiting on exhaust flanges. The bike could use a good wash but the apartment complex disabled all the hose spigots so it will have to wait.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
As odd as this may sound, I do believe that is the first motorcycle I've ever seen with both an electric and kick starter.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As odd as this may sound, I do believe that is the first motorcycle I've ever seen with both an electric and kick starter.
I think it was one of those why not it's dirt cheap features. If you look at how the engine is put together the crank case and the left cover have this 1/8th inch or so plate between them with a hole drilled in it to insert the starter and three nuts welded on the backside to seal the gasket between the starter gear. Then it's just a matter of 4 hole in the crank case to hold it solid.

But if you want to talk about a real pain of an idea it's removing the starter. Everything is so simple that if you remove the 4 bolts from the starter and remove it the starter gear and chain will fall down inside the left cover. It's only like 9 bolts and a gasket to fix it but I learned the hard way.

And if the 6 volt starter dies they have what looks like a boat plug that you can put in the hole and delete the starter once the chain and starter gear is removed.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,065 Posts
My '78 GS400 had both. As did the '77 GL1000, but the lever lived under the right side of the shelter so you had to get it out and plug it into the linkage to use it. I think I actually managed to start the bike with it once.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
That will be a very nice little cruiser and a big upgrade from a CT90.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 67 Yamaha YCS1 and my 68 Honda CB350 both had kick and electric starters.
The electric starters weren't as dependable as they are now.

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stuck in limbo. 18 days waited already and the header flange sellers reply was

to keep postage low,its sent without traccing,

Of course they charged me double shipping for buying two items. Since then I found a salvage yard with two rusty ones that should be here maybe monday.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,065 Posts
18 days from Sweden shouldn't alarm you. I recently had something shipped from Ohio to Ontario that the USPS sent to San Francisco, then up the west coast to BC before handing it off to Canada Post. It took from May 25th to July 12th to get here and it didn't even have to cross an ocean...

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't be alarmed if I knew it was actually sent or moving even if stuck in customs.

Just want to kick this thing over and verify it runs. But I know I can't stop with an idle. I know I'll want to ride it or run it longer than seconds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts